TH-42PH9 Overall setup cost

saint_david

Novice Member
Im a noob yet to make a decision on a 42" Plasma and im looking to weigh up all the options. I've narrowed the choices down to either pioneer or panasonic and just recently my eyes been drawn to the TH-42PH9 panel from panasonic.

The plasmas ive previously looked at have been all in one setups with integrated digital tuners, speakers and connections but obviously the TH-42PH9 is just the panel alone. Im just after some idea how much it would cost to buy all the additional equipment so to give it the same capabilities as the all in one solutions. I know speakers would cost a fair bit but what else would I need? Including the cost of the panel, could it be done for under £2k?

Mep

you will need an amp unless you just plan using a pair of speakers connected to the screen itself, but really we would need to know what equipment you want to connect to your plasma to advise on input boards etc and therefore a budget.

saint_david

Novice Member
Just a basic setup to begin with, something i would be able to plug a dvd player, sky and possibly a htpc into. I wouldnt be after top of the range stuff, just decent kit that comes reccomended by you chaps :)

rhino2k

i would'nt worry about the tuner, surely you have sky or a freeview box? if not £30 for a freeview box should give you something like 40 channels :)

you could just about get a ph9, hdmi board, av amp and low end speakers for 2k :thumbsup:

would still be a nice setup :)

saint_david

Novice Member
Wouldnt be after surround sound to begin with to keep the cost down. Im basically trying to find out how much it would cost to get the TH-42PH9 plasma to do what, for example, the TH42px600 can do out of the box :thumbsup:

rhino2k

saint_david said:
Wouldnt be after surround sound to begin with to keep the cost down. Im basically trying to find out how much it would cost to get the TH-42PH9 plasma to do what, for example, the TH42px600 can do out of the box :thumbsup:
PH9
HDMI board
and whatever small pair of speakers you want really, the panel has a small built in amp :) could get some side mounts like other plasmas :smashin:

would be about £1650 with cheap speakers and a freeview box :)

Mep

pair of speakers maybe £50, HTPC would go to built in VGA port (or buy HDMI board). (would you need dvd player too with HTPC?) Sky could go via scart board for £90 or thereabouts. Then just connect sound from PCto jack on the built in VGA on panel (or HDMI carries sound anyway) and away you go. Nice simple start that can be improved upon as you go along

CITY_MANC

Novice Member
saint_david said:
So you want summat like:

THIS

or

THIS

:thumbsup:

saint_david

Novice Member
Thanks gents, this is exactly the sort of advice i was after. So it can be done quite a bit below £2k by the looks of things? And those speakers youve mentioned, id imagine theyd be on a par if not better that the built in speakers youd get with the all in one setups. Are there any other things youd advise? How much roughly would we be looking at for cables?

saint_david

Novice Member
Ok, so would i need the hdmi board if i was playing downloaded HD content via a htpc?

ALSO

Just read something about a scaler...can anyone advise in a nutshell what we're talking about here and the likely costs. Thanks for all your help gents its appreciated :thumbsup:

hornydragon

saint_david said:
AND

Do the TH-42PH9 and the TH42PX600 have the same screens?
yes same base panel, For 2k you can have 42PH9 with 5.1 AV system and HDMI is not necassary at this point but a component board and an upsacling AMP make the system ideal for know and upgradeable for when you need HDMI

rhino2k

saint_david said:
Ok, so would i need the hdmi board if i was playing downloaded HD content via a htpc?

ALSO

Just read something about a scaler...can anyone advise in a nutshell what we're talking about here and the likely costs. Thanks for all your help gents its appreciated :thumbsup:
nope, comes with a vga board as standard (well it should). pc will connect directly just like a monitor, or go through the amp with a vga-rca lead :)

saint_david

Novice Member
So all things considered, would you recommend the TH-42PH9 or the TH-42PX600 for someone like me? I prefer the looks of the PH9 but im unsure if ive got the ability to set it up properly.

SuperKip

Novice Member
That is the question I would like an answer to. Because in theory if this panel only is based on the same as used in a PX60 or PX600 then why not pay less for a PX60 (£1319 inc.delivery at digital direct) and get the free 'extras' (unless you just want to see a panel on the wall):confused:

PX60 & PX600 have exactly the same screen don't they? just better speakers and a card slot on the 600!?

MAW

Banned
Te video processing is vastly different on the consumer and commercial products. The commercials are far better suited to video processors and PCs, and at least as good or better with video sources. With the panel, if all you want is freeview, have a look at the Topfield 5800. It's a 160Gb PVR, 2 tuners, component video output, add a couple of bookshelf speakers run from the panel internal amp, and add in the HDMI board for the future. With cables, I'm pretty sure this is only a tad more than a PX600, yet way more capable as a TV.

hutch

Sorry slightly off topic any ideas how much the 50PH9 will be and when it is out?

I was seriously considering the 42" 58 Series Fuji but for that price I should think i'll be able to get the 50PH9 and the relevant boards, which links me nicely to:

If I was linking the following to it what would I need?

SkyHD
DVD Player
XBox360
PS3
Laptop

Will be getting an amp at some point so should I be looking at a HDMI passthrough such as the Pioneer 1016 or the new Onkyo or something with scaling abilities?

Decisions decisions :rolleyes:

Druboo

Novice Member
hutch. said:
Sorry slightly off topic any ideas how much the 50PH9 will be and when it is out?

I was seriously considering the 42" 58 Series Fuji but for that price I should think i'll be able to get the 50PH9 and the relevant boards, which links me nicely to:

If I was linking the following to it what would I need?

SkyHD
DVD Player
XBox360
PS3
Laptop

Will be getting an amp at some point so should I be looking at a HDMI passthrough such as the Pioneer 1016 or the new Onkyo or something with scaling abilities?

Decisions decisions :rolleyes:
http://www.av-sales.com/PANASONIC-TH-50PH9-126-16.htm

AV - Sales also do the new Onkyo so should be able to get a good deal out of them :smashin:

hutch

:thumbsup:

when i looked at av sales yesterday it just said call for pricing....