1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Th-42pe30b

Discussion in 'TVs' started by krupatel, Sep 22, 2005.

1. krupatel

krupatel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there, I bought my Viera about this time last year, knowing it was not HD compatible. At the time HD sources seemed so long off that I thought I'd get a good 5-8 years out of it until HD became the mainstream broadcast medium. However since then Sky have announced they are moving to HD and a lot of HD DVD content seems likely to become available sooner rather than later.

My questions is, is there anyway through additional modules or adaptors by panel can accept HD input? Or do you think my orignal bet of 5-8 years still holds true?

Thanks

Kru

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing:)

Well your plasmas resolution is simply not capable of exploiting HD and that's basically the end of it, there may be a slight benefit having a HD STB feeding the plasma a downconverted feed but the cost would make that impractical.

I think HD (on Dsat at least) will be playing a major part in UK broadcasting within a couple of years with both PAY and FTA sources on offer not to mention pre-recorded media and huge marketing from the likes of SONY and perhaps long term MS.
    HD on DTT will take longer so your 5-8 year projection is on the money and ties in with analogue shutdown.

The only up side is that you have an excellent example of a low res plasma and when you do come to replace it HD hardware will be common place and price wise peanuts compared to today:)