1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

th-37pa20 "flicker" - suddenly a problem

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jimmy_b, Jan 12, 2005.

1. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have had my panny for about 8 months now and was extremely pleased with it until very recently when it suddenly developed an annoying flicker which I am sure was not there before. I describe it as a flicker but it may well be dithering - I am not sure what the phenomenon is actually called. It is worst through my pace twin box via scart but also visible when I play dvds via component through my pioneer 565. The thing I AM SURE IT WAS NOT THERE BEFORE!!

It is most noticeable when I display the menu of the pace twin box. In this case, the blue background of the menu box clearly dances around between the writing, it almost looks like analogue interference. I can also see it on areas of a single colour on all tv channels and the same for dvds (although to less extent I think).

Anyone experienced this? I wouldn't be so concerned if it had been there from the start! It's really annoying me now as my eyes just focus on it all the time even when I try not to!

I'd especially like to hear from any other pa20 & pace twin owners.

Help!
    Jimmy

2. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump! :lease:

Seriously, is there anyone out there who owns a 37pa20 (or similar panny plasma) and a pace twin? There are some very specific tests that you could run for me which would really help to resolve this problem.

Thanks
    Jimmy

3. slaterss

slaterss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a TH42PE30 Panasonic Plasma. I recently purchased a new DVD Player - a Denon 1910.

Whenever in the menu of the DVD player when I was using Component connections - Progressive Scan, I saw this wave effect on the blue menu background. I didn't get this before, so I took the DVD player back to the shop and got a Sony DVPNS955 DVD player instead and the problem has gone away completely.

I don't experience the problem on any other inputs. Are you using fully shielded cables? I have either IXOS or Profigold cables throughout my system now and that seems to help things, given all the different things I have connected to my plasma?

hope the above helps in someway. Really hope you get your problem sorted.

Stu

4. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stu

Thanks for the reply mate.
    I wouldn't describe what I see as a wave effect as such. It's more like the pixels are moving around and bumping into one another producing an effect very similar to analogue interference.

The effect can be improved slightly by adjusting the brightness / colour / contrast but even at its best it is easily visible from 8 feet away. With the colour right down or up and the other two somewhere in the middle, the effect is very clear and the picture is unwatchable (due to the effect not because there is too little or too much colour)!!

I haven't changed any bits of my system (dvd player, cables, digibox etc), the problem just seemed to suddenly start happening. I use an Ixos scart cable for the pace twin box and a richer sounds premium component for the dvd player (pioneer 565).

I think I will have to ring my dealer and have a chat with them as it is still under warranty. They may be able to help me out.

Thanks again
    Jimmy

5. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    jimmy b.
    What connections/settings are you using?

6. jimmy_b

jimmy_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi happyh

Thanks for posting. I'll try to provide as much info as possible....

I am using an Ixos scart lead from the pace twin to RGB scart 1 input on the plasma with the pace set to output in RGB. I presume by settings you mean colour/contrast/brightness? Well I have contrast on about 1/4, brightness just over 50% and colour just below 50%. Sharpness is set to the next level up from 0. These settings have been tweeked by me recently (mainly to try to reduce the problem) but they were somewhere near this i think before it started happening.
    The effect is very noticable on the pace picture.

DVD player is a pioneer 565 connected via richer sounds premium component. I usually have the dvd player set to interlace as I find I have to turn the colour right up to about 80% when I use progressive and there doesn't seem to be a great difference in the pq.
    The effect is less noticeable through the dvd player but still clearly visible on large areas of the same colour (sky, skin etc.) from my viewing distance of about 8-10feet.

If you want any more information and/or can help in any way then please post again.

Regards
    Jimmy