1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TH-37PA20 connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by att, Sep 4, 2003.

1. att

att

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody confirm the AV-connections/inputs that the European version of Panasonic TH-37PA20 has? Panasonic web sites are not very informative on this matter. The UK pages list something that suggest that the inputs differ between TH-37PA20 and TH-42PA20, whereas the German pages list only:
    RGB-Eingang (BNC für Video) [optional]
    S-Video Eingang (Hosiden) [optional]
    Audio-Eingang L+R (RCA) [optional]
    VGA-Anschluss (15polig) RS-232C
    which is weird as I have understood that at least the 42" model has 3 SCARTS and one component-video connection. Is this the case with the 37" model as well? If the 37" model has less inputs (e.g. no component), I am very disappointed as that is a major drawback. Has anybody already seen the 37" model?
    Thanks again.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    My german's not good, but I think that refers to a different model, a th37pw6, which we don't get. It can't be the pa20, aTV with no scarts? Not from Panasonic. Rely onit, the PA20, whether 42 or 37, will have sensible inputs for it's design purpose.

3. att

att

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that surely sounds like th37pw6 but the picture shown is definitely TH-37PA20, as well as all the other text as they talk about 'All-in-One-Plasma-TV'. I was originally pretty convinced that the connections in TH-37PA20 will be identical to TH-42PA20, but the somewhat 'vague' UK pages do not say anything about component-input for TH-37PA20, which got me worried. I have also emailed Panasonic, but no answer so far.
    It is funny that they make this so difficult for the customers. A decent set of specifications on a web page would be enough...

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't wait up for panasonic UK. Sounds like a b*** up on the site you found the spec, they are mixed up themselves.

5. TigerHeart1979

TigerHeart1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been into Panasonic shop @ Sheffield and ordered the "TH-37PA20", I saw the unit in the store & it has 3 scart connectors as well as 2 sets of I think RCA audio connectors and front s-video etc. It's arriving next Friday!!!! :) can't wait

6. Helterskelter

Helterskelter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now you've had your Panny for a while, what do you think.
    Would you change for another setif given the choice?

7. TigerHeart1979

TigerHeart1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't change this set for the world...well maybe the 42" model but I can't afford that!!!

8. Stiesto

Stiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TigerHeart, did your TH37PA20 come with a desktop stand or not (as in, is it included as part of the package)?

9. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TH37PA20 has component input. I've had one for 2 weeks now. Also, you can use AV4 scart to input audio while using the component input. I have a little scart to s-video + audio connector to do this because you cannot connect RGB scart on AV4 and component input at the same time (RGB scart is always selected as priorty in this configuration).

Only other screen I would consider is the Pioneer (but way more than I can afford or justify the cost).

10. Stiesto

Stiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    888, Did your 37PA20 come with the pedestal stand included as standard? And furthermore, where did you get the set from and what did you pay?

I'm interested in the set myself so any opinions on it would also be appreciated.

11. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine from JL in Bristol. Price matched with Selfridges for £2,299. Stand was £179. Delivery was £40 (Selfridges did not do free delivery for my location, over 160 miles away).

Everything done on phone TV arrived in 3 days. However, I beleive JL are out of stock now for both the 37" and 42" models.

12. Stiesto

Stiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I've been looking about myself for a good price on the screen and the lowest I've found so far is Comet. They are selling it for £2327.47 (including delivery and the pedestal stand).

So, what do you think of the plasma anyway, any good? I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the black levels on it.

13. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent screen. Progressive scan input produces awsome picture. Only snag I've found with prog scan is that you cannot zoom in to get rid off the black bars top and bottom for some movies and widescreen broadcasts.

I've read some horror stories about PSU issues (covered by JL's 5yr warranty) and also a little concern about screen burn (but this is a generic issue).

If the picture is half a good in 5 yrs time I'm still laughing.

With regards to Comet's price did you check stock levels? When I brought mine 2.5 weeks ago they were out of stock and only had display units. Don't be afraid to phone around for the best deal it's a lot of money at the end of the day and you need to get the biggest bang for buck.

14. kace

kace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you explain further? I'm expecting mine this Saturday from Comet.

15. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I called them up to check for latest price before ordering with JL to pricematch (the condition with JL is that the competitor must have the same product in stock). The lady at the head office said they did not have any in stock and said the only units they currently have were display units in the stores. Also, at that time the price did not include the stand, I'd notice this had changed recently.

I'll give Comet a call tomorrow as a by the by. If they have new stock I should be able to get a refund from JL (28 days pricematch).

16. kace

kace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PSU issues ?

17. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People have reported faulty power supply units.

18. kace

kace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahh thanks for that -

did u get that information from this forum?

thanks for your speedy response... Do you have pics of your setup?

19. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having gotten round to do that. Wait unit Saturaday, you'll be grinning ear to ear!

20. kace

kace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It finally arrived and im over the moon with the quality.

For how many hours should I keep my contrast down for? I currently have it set to 25% - ish

Question 2 - my telewest box allows me to set input to 'composite' or 'RGB'. I have a scart cable coming from the telewest box to my panny - do i select RGB?

21. deepblue2uk

deepblue2uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my 42" PA20 for 2 weeks now. I have kept the contast down to half of what it was and have had no issues at all. I have used my ps2 and watched loads of sky channels. Not one glimmer of burn or effects.

Its a great piece of kit.

Lee

22. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kace: Set it to RGB. Scart RGB can be used on AV1 or AV4. Probably best to connect it to AV1 as AV4 shares the component inputs.

Enjoy.

23. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kace: Set it to RGB. Scart RGB can be used on AV1 or AV4. Probably best to connect it to AV1 as AV4 shares the component inputs.

Enjoy.

24. LCD Man

LCD Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mine set to composite as it's MILES better with the 3-d c omb filter switched on.

RGB is a bit fuzzy for my tastes. I know all about AV btw, but it really does give a sharper picture.

25. kace

kace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a very feint pink area in the top left hand corner of the screen (about the size of my hand. It's not that noticable...

I see it mainly when there is a white backgrouund on the TV

Is this anything I should be worried about?