Th-37/42pwd6uy

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Panda, May 13, 2004.

1. Panda

Panda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After searching the net for deals on a panny plasma, I came across some sites offering deals seeming too good.
    PANASONIC TH-42PWD6UY £1343
    PANASONIC TH-37PWD6UY £1232
    They seem to be US sites so can anyone tell me if there could be problems with :
    PAL:NTSC
    TERMINAL BOARDS(RGB)
    POWER SUPPLY
    My other kit :
    PHILIPS DVDR70
    SKY+ PVR1
    SONY STR-DB790

2. Contar

Contar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For someone to reply they need to look at the website you have seen.
    Can you list there addresses please ?

3. Panda

Panda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pricegrabber.com

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Really the biggest issue is getting hold of them. Plasma screens are really fragile, personally I would be unhappy at the thought of having to get one across the atlantic in one piece!

also dont forget import charges..... it will be about 20% of the final cost. So assuming you get a good shipping deal, you are looking at a cost on your door of maybe £1750. The prices mentioned almost def dont include cards and stand so add another £150 ish.... now you are at £1900... the UK price is only £200 more and will be fully warrantied and all the rest..... given the fragility of plasmas, this cost is easily justified. Imagine you turn on your imported machine and it dies right away (not unknown), you are either totally buggered or will be forced to spend hundreds returning it for repair....

ad

5. Panda

Panda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, some very good points, although I would still be interested to find out if there are any compatability issues

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,290
    Panda

Not sure if I follow your question - your saying if you browse a load of US websites and do a currency conversion a TH-42PW6UY is less expensive (excluding tax, shipping, and import duties) than the TH-42PWD6BX is in the UK (inc tax, shipping and import duties).

Both displays will be pretty similar with most video inputs you can think of - though the US model wont be CE compliant and Panasonic UK may no be keen to service a US model; I'd give them a call first before you do a personal import.

I would have thought Japan was the place to go if you want a really good price on Panasonic kit!!!

Best regards

Joe

7. njr

njr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'd have to get a voltage conversion done on it too. Shipping is going to be horrendously expensive.