1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TFT v CRT MONITORS

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by SAMMYTHE, Dec 31, 2003.

1. SAMMYTHE

SAMMYTHE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is it time to upgrade my CRT monitor for one of the latest TFT ones onm the market?
    I,ve been deterred from changing in the past with reports of bad pixels etc. but would like anyones opinion on the latest screens available.

2. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive always had a crt in the past and got the chance at a tft screen at a price i couldnt say no to really, only thing i can say that may be a downer for the tft screens is they aint that good for gaming as they blur a bit when theres alot of movement on screen. but other than that im well chuffed with the looks and im not straining my eyes anymore either.
    :)

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Like h4r7y,I've always had CRT's from horrid EGA 14" screens up to a nice 19" IIyama,and now have a lot of TFT's at work and on my laptop....the TFT's really are getting much better,in terms of contrast and black level,but I still find them a bit blurry as well for games.

As for bad pixels....I've only found one on one of the work monitors so far...nowhere else.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    TFT monitors can be driven at much lower refresh rates than CRTs and do not exhibit refresh rate flicker at all. This can be of benefit as it reduces the memory requirents for the video card. You can drop the refresh rate to the lowest value your video card supports (eg 60hz) without any visible impact.

TFT monitors are only at their best when driven at exactly their native resolution. So, for example, if you buy a typical 15 incher, it will have a native resolution of 1024x768 and you should set your video card to output exactly this. Any other resolution will produce a soft image. Larger TFTs typically have more pixels and need to be driven accordingly.

TFTs take up much less desk space so you can 'fit' a much larger screen onto your desk.

The screen size measurement of a TFT is all usable whereas with a CRT it isn't. So, for example, a 15 inch LCD is pretty much the same size as a 17 inch CRT.

TFTs can suffer bad pixels. These are most often found DOA or very soon after switching on. They rarely if ever fail during use. So, buy from an enlightened retailer who will let you check out your own monitor before you pay for it - or will allow a return if you aren't 100% happy.

TFTs don't react as quickly to signal changes as CRTs do, typically, so rapid movements can appear blurred. Newer TFTs are getting quicker though.

TFTs cannot suffer from geometry or convergence errors. Geomtery is usually fully adjustable on CRTs, but convergence is rarely, if ever.

I'd choose LCD/TFT over CRT any day. And I have; for my two TVs, my projector, and my PC monitor.

5. SAMMYTHE

SAMMYTHE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Many thanks for all the info, can anyone recommend a particular model, make?

6. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i have had a nec 1550v multisync for 2 years, ace picture on it, never had any probs with it, u can stare at it all day without hurting your eyes, played a few games on it and they looked ok to me.

so i would recommend u 2 get a tft, don't know what the current line of nec tft's are like, but if they are as good as mine u wont go far wrong as i love mine to bits

7. SAMMYTHE

SAMMYTHE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Dek will sort one out.
    How much did you pay for the nagging wife, I,ve had one for years and it costs me a fortune in running costs!

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    The current Samsung range of monitors (172v, 172w, etc) are quite stunning, have rotatable screens for landscape/portrait use, look great (subjective I know) and are VERY reasonable priced.

PC World are doing the Samsung 17" (172v I think) for £299. A bargain :) and as cheap as online.

9. SAMMYTHE

SAMMYTHE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nice one Messiah, will take a look.
    Anyone bought the 15" monitor from Aldi,s @ £179 looks a steal?

10. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    SAMMYTHE before you part with any money you must consider:
    1 - DVI or Analogue input
    2 - resoultion (15" = 1024x768, 17" = 1280x1024) normally
    3 - Response time <=20 is considered good for games
    4 - contrast ratio - I would say you need at least 400:1
    5 - Bad pixels. Some shops allow returns, others don't
    Hitatchi and samsung are some good makes.

Good luck
    Azzo.

11. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may find this article is of use before you decide on which TFT to buy.

One of the monitors in the test is available from overclockers for about £350 including VAT. They also have a good selection of the Hitachi units available.

Tony

12. SAMMYTHE

SAMMYTHE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Azzo,
    Good points, the bad pixels was one of my concerns and the main reason I haven,t bought one before now. How anybody can put up with defects on relatively expensive monitors without manufacturers admitting the problem, I just don,t know.

Tony,
    Checked out both the links, very helpful. As usual it,s very difficult to compare all the models live, I will try to find a well stocked store and be a pain.

Many thanks for the very useful advice given by all concerned.
    Paul