1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TFT Screen & Image Editing

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by geofftelforduk, Jun 6, 2005.

1. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Hi all!! Probably a silly question but I am in the process of building a new PC cos the one I have is beginning to die a sorry, slow death!

I was wondering what everyones professional opinion would be with regards to using a TFT screen for image editing! Are you going to get the same colour definition etc! When I view an image on my work laptop and then on my CRT monitor at home, there is such a difference!

PLEASE ADVISE!

Thanks

2. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Anybody??

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You might get a better answer in the pc section mate. Tomo works in graphic design i think, he should be able to give you an answer here when he spots it.

4. MattB1

MattB1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I use a TFT at work and have a CRT at home. The CRT gives a much better representation of the colours of the photograph than the TFT. The TFT can often give a washed out appearance.

Matt.

5. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    depends very much on what tft you're using as some are better than others. Ones I use regularly are Apple and Formac and are pretty good without too much tinkering. If you take the time to set up even a basic tft you can get pretty good results... but there are so many factors involved that it can be a bit of a black art. Take a look on the macuser site as there are usually some pretty thorough reviews and tests.

For image editing I have my tft at home set up for outputting to photobox (you can get a calibration print from hem) as I use them to print all my photos... but I can also switch between various other profiles if i'm outputting a cmyk print job, for example. I also have a crt set up with a generic windows profile as I do a lot of web stuff.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I totally agree with tomson re the different makes & models of TFT. I use my PC a lot for video editing and therefore needed 2 VDU's but do not have the room for 2 CTR's. I did a lot of resurch and ended up getting 2 Eizo L365 15" TFT monitors. This was about 3 years ago when they were a lot more expensive than they are now. Back then a standard 15" TFT would set you back around £300+ but the Eizo were £450 each :eek: . Not cheap but I really do think that with TFT you do get what you pay for!

Mark.

7. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I use CRT and reasonably cheap TFT but now they're calibrated find both acceptable for PS work.

8. geofftelforduk

geofftelforduk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Guys, thanks so much for all the advice! I shall ponder it all and see whats best for me!

9. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I've got a Dell 21" 4:3 LCD which is superb, I've calibrated it using a colorvision spyder2 and found it gives excellent colour reproduction. Can't recommend it highly enough. 1600x1200 res as well which allows you to get a lot onscreen at once.

10. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I'm waiting for delivery of a Dell 24" TFT LCD, 1920x1200, which will sit beside my CRT.

I think I'm going to get a calibration gadget rather than fiddling around guessing. Do many people have "spyders" and the like? How do you use them?

11. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    To use the spyder to calibrate the monitor you just install its software, plug it in and hang it over the front of the monitor, its sensor just sits on the screen while the software displays different colours/greyscales. the sensor reads these and develops a profile for your monitor. When it's done you can click a button to see before and after, tbh my Dell was not a million miles away out of the box, but its certainly better now.

HTH
    owain

12. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Calibration made a huge difference to one of my monitors and very little to another... the key thing is they're both now the same and my prints look like the image on the screen.