1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TFT - question about 'refresh rate'?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Channard, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Channard

Channard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just switched from a CRT to a TFT, having picked up a fairly decent one cheap. I gather that it doesn't work in different modes like CRTs - hence the text looking a little out of focus in modes other than the highest one. It's slightly less bright than my CRT, but that's not a problem.

What I am puzzled about is what effect refresh rate has upon the screen, given that it's not really refreshing. The manual says the optimal mode is 1280x1024 at 60hz refresh rate. But the monitor can handle up to 75mhz. Could anyone tell me what difference the refresh rate makes to a TFT, and what benefits/negatives they are to running at a particular rate? Thanks.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Assuming you mean 75hz, then what's telling you is that it can handle signals with a refresh rate up to that, ie. it can deal with the bandwidth requirements such a signal can consume.

AFAIK the refresh rate makes no difference whatsoever to the quality of the displayed image, on the very few occasions where I've fed different rates into an LCD I've seen none.

And yes, LCDs will typically appear less bright than CRTs because often the CRT is badly adjusted and also because the phopher yields a brighter light output than an LCD cell.

3. Nicky

Nicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Other major fact is that if you're going to use it to watch DVDs you want to have it running at the same refresh rate as the source material - 50Hz for Pal (if it can manage this - some, probably many, can not) and 60Hz for NTSC. There are some multiples of these resolutions that work as well but if you can get 50 and 60 you are off to a good start.

Nick