1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TFT Monitor specs - what's important ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mjw123, Jul 28, 2005.

1. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Guys,

I notice Dell has two current 17" monitors at the moment. One is the 1704FPV which seems very impressive with 1000:1 contrast ratio, DVI input but a SLOW 25ms.

The other has only 450:1, no DVI but a much better 16ms

Will the slow 25ms be a problem on the 1st monitor ?

Also my Nvidia 4200 supports DVI so should I really use this and will I get a noticeaable improvement over standard VGA connector ?

I'm not a massive PC gamer and will mainly use the monitor for pics & DVD's with web browsing.

Please can you help me with the dilemma over good contrast ratio & DVI connector vs 16ms ??

I may just ditch the dell and go for one of the Aria TFT's the look great VFM.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
    SL

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I have DVI and VGA on my TFT and the DVI gives a noticeably sharper image.
    The response time is definitely significant for gaming, but if you are not gaming then you may not notice the difference between 16ms and 25ms

lisa

3. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Nice one Lisa ;) - any thoughts on the contrast ratios ?...quite a gap between 450:1 & 1000:1 !!

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Sorry, haven't really got a clue on that one - someone else will know I should think...

lisa

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,521
    I haven't viewed anything with a contrast ratio that high, but my Sony is quoted at 500:1 I think, and looks as good as you could really hope for from a TFT.

Dell screens are usually pretty good, and at Dell prices I doubt you'd be unhappy whichever way you go..?

1000:1 is awesome on paper! I didn't think they would ever get that high, let alone so soon....!

( I've got the model right in my sig too now... my 'deliberate mistake' would have been there forever if I hadn't seen this thread..:D )

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I wouldn't put too much store in quoted figures for things like contrast ratio (or even response time). there are no standard ways to measure them and they are very open to manufacturers massaging them to make good advertising copy. Better idea would be to try and read some comparative reviews ( www.tomshardware.com often have a good selection).

I've got a larger Dell TFT (21") and it is amazing, very pleased with it.

hth
    owain

7. thesaint

thesaint
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definately go for one with DVI input as you will get a better pic and if you are going to be watching fast moving images you will need a quick response time. Ive got Sony 19" SDM cost £380 from novatech fantastic pic and looks brill but 17" is £100 cheaper and has 8ms response time. S

8. thesaint

thesaint
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definately go for one with DVI input as you will get a better pic and if you are going to be watching fast moving images you will need a quick response time. Ive got Sony 19" SDM cost £380 from novatech fantastic pic and looks brill but 17" is £100 cheaper and has 8ms response time. So you should be able to throw just about everything at it and get beutifull pics also they are x black so the blacks are black not grey :cool:

9. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Read an interesting article on tomhardware.com saying in the US the bottom is falling out of the 17" TFT market as Gamers want the bigger 19" screen. Should be good news for potential buyers as the prices plummet. Reckon a 17" with DVi input will be £99 by the Autumn :clap: