1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Text Quality on Sky+ (new style pace box)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by trouthead54, Oct 24, 2003.

1. trouthead54

trouthead54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted a similar message on uk.tech.tv.sky so apologies if you've replied there.

I've just had Sky+ installed & have to say that I'm disapoointed with the quality of the text. For example if you go to channel 504 (Bloomberg TV) & look closely at the date/time at the top right of the screen (or any white fine text on a black background) you will see the text "jumps" up/down one scan line.

I know it's the new Sky+ box (as opposed to the TV/connections) because when i put my old sky box in situ (same leads/tv etc)...the same text is rock solid. I'm using the RGB option & have replaced the scart leads as a matter of course regardless!

What I don't know though, is if this is just a rogue Sky+ box or if it is likely to be common to all new pace sky+ boxes. Therefore if you have a new pace sky+ box, can you look close at the date/time text on channel 504.

Before you think I'm just being anal...my wife noticed the poor quality of the text too...from a distance it has the effect of looking slightly blurred or out of focus compared with my old box.

Grateful for your comments.

2. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't spot any signifigant problems with the text on 504, in either RGB or PAL modes other than the "Bloomberg" logo seemed a bit fuzzy. But for all know it could have been like that with my old digibox as its not exactly my most visited channel.

3. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi trouthead54,

After reading your thread I put my old Sky box back just to check as I'd only just received my Sky+ box and thought I'd check it out as I didn't want to go back in quality. My old box was a Panasonic TU-DSP30. As far as I could see there was no noticeable difference in the picture.

I hope this helps.

Bazza

4. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Might be a long shot but...

I had this problem when I installed my Sky+ last week.
    Turned out the SCART plug was wasn't pushed firmly into the socket on the back of my TV so the image was in "PAL" mode even though the box was set to RGB. Check your SCART lead is plugged in firmly!

hth
    Owen

5. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This happened to me when I put the scart in the VCR in /out scart socket on the back of the box rather than the TV out scart

just a thought