Text/iPlayer on Freeview HD?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by ard126k, Jan 6, 2012.

1. ard126k

ard126k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have a Panasonic G20 TV which doesn't 'do' text or iPlayer on Freeview HD BBC channels, although it does both on FreeSat HD. Is this normal behaviour?
    Alex.

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    Same on mine. No text service on HD Channels. It does work on Virgin Media.

3. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    The Freeview HD version of iPlayer operates similarly to the Freesat HD version however the BBC will only allow access to it from receivers that were tested to meet the slightly updated Freeview HD specification that came into effect in April 2011. Apart from the Sony PVR. there are no set top boxes and few TVs that have been tested after that date.

A number of receivers can access BBC iPlayer using a different route. Instead of using the red button service, internet access is launched by a separate program in the receiver's firmware. The firmware may include an iPlayer "app" option or will go to an internet page with a link to the app along with others like YouTube. The BBC also controls access via this method and that version includes the HD option. This needs a faster connection than the 2Mb/Sec originally designated as "fast broadband" for the government rural areas project and round which the Freesat HD version of iPlayer was built.

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    Not aware of any Freesat boxes that can access the 720p BBC-HD iplayer service. afaik all are restricted to the HQ service which is just slightly better SD.

The Humax HD Freeview boxes can use the 720p service via the Humax portal, the PS3 can as can Sony Smart Tv's.

5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    Screen shots of the Freesat SD only iplayer app and the Freeview-HD box version (so called big screen version as per PS3 and Smart TV's)

Attached Files:

6. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    WHICH Freeview HD box's version? Is it the the one accessed through the Red Button service either directly from the Red Button prompt or via page 7001 in the same way as on a Freesat HD box? As far as I am aware that one has the same 'look and feel' as the one accessed by Freesat HD boxes also via the red button or tuning to Freesat channel 901 and the MHEG instructions sent by the BBC on both platforms directs the box to access the same address.

The box specific versions used by Freeview HD tuners like the Humax and the beta version for the Technika STBHDIS2010 do not use this broadcast MHEG instruction but download the access routine and address from their own sites and then link to the BBC's server.

As I said, the generic version employed by Freesat was designed round the assumption that there would be what is now considered a fairly low top speed for internet connections and that the box would only meet the minimum processing speed in the Freesat specification. The "Higher quality" option for "fast connections" in this "broadcast" version of iPlayer is certainly not HD and barely approaches ordinary SD.

The BBC has allowed access to the "big screen" version of iPlayer on a case by case basis after examining the makers' equipment and software. If their Freeview HD equipment has passed the tests and meets the 2011 specs, access to iPlayer is automatic.

I understood the best quality available with the "official" or "broadcast" versions on both platforms were the same. However as the new Freeview HD specs included a faster minimum processor speed and I have not seen a new Sony FVHD box in action, my information may be wrong.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    It's the one accessed by the TV portal button in this case using a HD FOX T2 (the HDR FOX T2 is identical). Access by a PS3 and a Sony Smart TV looks the same. I can't guarantee the same content is on all the platforms.

8. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Thanks, I hope then you take the point that the shot does not show the version of iPlayer that is part of the Freeview HD platform. You happen to have accessed using a Freeview HD box but it is the same you get if you use a PS3 or a smart TV which may not even have a DVB-T2 tuner

So far, I have not seen a screen shot of the Freeview HD iplayer i.e. the one specific to that platform and not this one which is provided for a number of devices to access.

9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,087
    I don't think such an animal exists :eek:

10. iaint

iaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi.
    It does. Believe the Sony FreeviewHD box can get it, as can the Digitalstream PVR, if you know some secret code.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/16111547-post950.html
    No HD content on it though, just one of the FAQ pages mentions HD services maybe sometime in the future.
    --
    Regards, Iain.