Texas Instruments' chip differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1T-M0nk3y

Standard Member
OK, I've been reading up and I think that I'm almost up to speed on the various chips and their advantages, if anyone can help to confirm or correct these beliefs this will aid my search for the best price/performance in a DLP TV - bearing in mind that (for me) screen size & physical depth are not as important as clarity and a reduction in the Rainbow Effect

This is because firstly the TV that I get will only be between 42 & 46 inches - maybe 50 only if the model I want isn't available in a smaller screen - secondly it's going in the corner.

OK then, here goes, some of this may be completely wrong...

HD2 - old, I think this is the oldest you can still buy in a RPTV
HD2+ - adds Darkchip2 which increases contrast and slightly reduces the RE
HD3 - adds SmoothPicture, which as far as I can tell uses wobbulation to reduce the number of micromirrors from 1280 wide to 640 wide - not sure why this is needed for a 720p set though? Is it just to reduce production cost?
xHD3 - as HD3 but in 1080p form (I CAN understand the need for fewer micromirrors and therefore wobbulation in 1080p form)
720p (aka HD4) - adds Darkchip3 to further increase contrast & reduce RE
1080p (aka xHD4) - as 720p but in 1080p

Are there any other differences between the chips? apart from cost that is?
Does the difference between 720 and 1080 resolution show on a 46"ish TV

Does 720p source material actually look worse on 1080 sets than 720 sets due to rescaling, if so the cheaper sets may be better as SkyHD will largely be 720p I understand (+ I'm more likely to get an XBox360 than a PS3)

Although Darkchip3 increases contrast ratios, as I won't be shining the sun directly on the screen (My living room is North-facing) do I need it?

I, like most people I guess, am willing to pay for a better HD experience, but not willing to pay for new features which I will never notice the benefits of.

Many thanks to everyone who is still reading :thumbsup: as it's been a long post!

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Closing duplicate thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Q800T 8K QLED TV Review
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom