Tevion Progressive DVD @ Aldi £32.50!!!!

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by ian_guinan, Jun 3, 2004.

1. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    This may be old news to some of you, and it is possible they are sold out but thought it worth posting as I can't get over the price.

Bought a player today for my parents at Aldi for the princely sum of £32.50.

Does progressive scan (not sure how well yet as I haven't tested that aspect), PhotoCD, plays my DVD-R (cough) backups, MP3s etc. etc.

Best of all with a little searching I've discovered that they will take the Lasonic multi region hack i.e.

1) Press 'Open' on the remote.

2) Press 'Setup'

3) Volume + once

4) Volume - once

5) Volume + once

6) Volume - once

7) The region is then displayed top right 1 - 6 set by using the left and right cursor buttons or 255 for multi region.

8) Press setup again....and Bobs Your Uncle. Unbelievable.

Player is silver, slimline reasonably made and even has a half decent remote. Has SCART, s-video, digital coaxial, audio and composite and component outputs.

I'm even wishing I'd bought two..go check it out.

Ian Guinan

2. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Shame this has been moved to Special Offers so quickly from DVD forum....thought I'd better post a stop the press as on a couple of disks I've noticed some nasty picture breakup and 'stuck' white pixels. I'll post again when I've had a chance to test further.

Ian Guinan

3. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Speaking to a couple of friends who have also bought them today, theirs are faultless (and actually were multi region anyway out of the box) so I reckon I might have a dud one...this one is going back, but friend has a spare incase I can't get a replacement.

Going to check out progressive scan later and will let you know how I fare.

Ian Guinan

4. waddell28

waddell28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian

I bought one today and I've tried a couple of discs. They play fine.

I've got mine hooked up to a 12yr old portable though but still looks OK.

5. Stompa

Stompa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Bought a player today for my parents at Aldi for the princely sum of £32.50.

I noticed they were selling those. Do you know the model number?

Thanks

Stompa

6. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    TSDVD-1100 on the player or PLU 318 on the box. Progressive scan works very well too I'm happy to say and swapped out the dud one for a fully working player.

Ian Guinan

7. Stompa

Stompa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    TSDVD-1100 on the player or PLU 318 on the box.

OK, many thanks - though I can't seem to find any reference to that particular model anywhere.

Stompa

8. Stompa

Stompa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK, I've just got one of these and it seems pretty good. My only two (minor) gripes are that the tray is very flimsy, and the remote control is a bit too directional. But for the price it's great.

Stompa

9. Stompa

Stompa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Oh bugger, a worse problem has emerged. The Tevion seems to share some remote codes with my Toshiba TV. So if I press the 'increase volume' button on my TV remote, it also zooms in the DVD (but bizarrely pressing the 'zoom' button on the Tevion remote doesn't change the TV volume).

Unfortunately there seems to be a number of buttons that behave this way.

Stompa

10. johnmobrooks

johnmobrooks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, Thank you all. I bought this DVD player at Aldi last week.
    Had a few problems
    1. My LCD TV had only one Scart slot.
    2. Had a pixel problem. Little white chaps floating over the screen each and every 10 secs.
    3. Tried my one and only region one DVD disc. - green & orange lines over the whole screen.
    4 I Bought the machine because it said it played DVD +R. Also wanted a CD player in the kitchen. If it worked it was a very cheap option.
    5.Went to local electrical store and bought a £4.99 dual Scart adaptor. The results were poor..
    6. Phoned the helpline shown on the Help manual - They said try a better quality scart lead. Visited Argos paid £12.99 for a gold plated 3 way scart adaptor ( which switched off & on the various kit attatched to it) and £19.95 for a gold plated scart lead for Adaptor to TV.
    7. Wonderful - but still white squares floating across screen when playing a DVD.
    8 Phoned helpline again. They said go back to shop for replacement or refund.
    9. Local Aldi shop changed - NOW - NO PIXEL PROBLEMS !- GREAT CD PLAYER! - MULTI REGONAL!- IN DVD HEAVEN _ FOR £32.99 a gift. Please note the price as at 21st June 2004 - £32.99 NOT £ 32.50 ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: