Tevion HD Upscaler in Aldi Picture and discuss

radical1

Established Member
Reaction score
I was in Aldi today and picked up the new leaflet, these are not on sale until Thursday 06 Sep... Im seriously thinking of getting one. Ive scanned in the page click on the link below to have a look.

Anybody got one of these? Reviews? How do they handle AVI files? I like the idea of the USB port so can just plug in USB stick to play AVIs etc? And at £34.99 with all that conectivity and HD upscaling it just seems to good to be true!!! Multi region hack? Responsive remote control?

What you guys think?

I bought the Tevion 8000 last September from Aldi.

Whilst it was feature-packed & seemed to perform well I think there were quite a few units which refused to or began to refuse to recognise some discs & reported 'Disc Error'.

I used mine not that often & there was certainly a good 2 months when it wasn't used at all.

Then when I wanted to play some retail DVDs it just would not read some of the discs properly & reported 'Disc Error'.

It was 7 months old at the time but I packed it up & took it back to Aldi.

Initially I was asked whether I had phoned the Helpline number. I replied that I had not & that the DVD player had hardly been used & that it should not be playing up when it's a few months old. They gave me a refund thankfully.

I have read a bit about the 8000 on these forums but could not see what this player was called as no model number on the literature etc, So is this the 8000 then?

Yes Tevion 8000 or Tevion DVD 8000.

Plenty of info about it on this German site :

http://www.dv-rec.de/test/player2006/Tevion/8000/8000.html

GUI will be similar to other mainstream players which use the Zoran Vaddis 888 chipset or similar.

Never tried out all of the functions, but looked very promising especially with the HDMI cable included. Though the Scart cable which was included was rubbish.

The one they have out on the 6th September certainly looks quite trendy. You could always buy & return within 28 days as Aldi have a 28 day no-quibble returns policy from what I remember.

cool - thanks. im torn between the tevion and philips5960..... im kinda off Philips at moment though as had the 3120 last week and it would not play any AVI files and I took it back!

The price on the Tevion looks great aswell, and I kinda find that unknown brands and rock bottom cheapy players are as good if not better than big brands a lot of the time and less fussy about what they play (just my experience).

From looking through some of the old threads, the Tevion 800 that came out about a year ago from Aldi did not have a USB port and was £40.... This one is only £35 and has a USB port... Thats why I posed the question was it the 8000, like this years updated 8000? No model number anywhere on the literature....

Anyways, Im pretty sure Im gonna try one and will for sure post up my own findings on playeback etc when I have one....

Im curious also if it displays folders and sub folders when reading a CDR or USB stick? If you put some jpegs and some AVIs in folders, does it read and display the folders OK or do you have to avoid putting things in folders?

I got a Tevion DVD surround system as a gift christmas 2005 from the missus and i can honestly say it performs really well,great picture,great sound (well to me anyhow) only one gripe,for some reason it wont play pirates of carribean 1 but plays 2 no problem,also THE WILD wont play on it either but both play no problem on the dvd player in my kids room,so apart from that it does a good job.Aldi often sell tevion goods and they always sell out pretty quick so they got to be half decent at the end of the day for £34 you cant go wrong if your not happy take it back.

The price on the Tevion looks great aswell, and I kinda find that unknown brands and rock bottom cheapy players are as good if not better than big brands a lot of the time and less fussy about what they play (just my experience).

From looking through some of the old threads, the Tevion 800 that came out about a year ago from Aldi did not have a USB port and was £40.... This one is only £35 and has a USB port... Thats why I posed the question was it the 8000, like this years updated 8000? No model number anywhere on the literature....

Im curious also if it displays folders and sub folders when reading a CDR or USB stick? If you put some jpegs and some AVIs in folders, does it read and display the folders OK or do you have to avoid putting things in folders?

Well with the Tevion 8000 & the Philips 5980 I found that neither would play certain types of AVI/Video file properly.

As an example I converted a YouTube Flashplayer file to AVI format, stuck it on a CD-RW & neither of the above could handle it.

On the flip side the same video file plays without any issues in a Sony NS76H and NS78H.

Some of these budget players will play various stuff which the mainstream ones won't, but it seems that they may have limitations which may well be down to the chipsets they use.

Same goes for players with USB inputs. Some of them can be a bit fussy with what you stick into the USB slot.

See its kind of confusing when you investigate things a lot. The forums are great but I think I can get easily stressed out. You kinda make your mind up on one, then you see something negative about it, then a recommendation for something else and then something negative about that. Information is power, but also a bloody pain in the ass! LOL Ive been trying to buy a new player for a few weeks now but over investigating and wanting it to do everything and be just perfect is really slowing me down. LOL

Basically I want it to play downloaded "Losts" and "Stargates", these normally come in 350MB files and usually Xvids but can vary... The USB would be handy as no more wasting discs just to watch and episode once (or 3 times in case of "Lost" so I can understand it! :) )

How is the folder system on the Tevion? Reading from CDR or USB, does it support and open folders etc? And how is remote control? Responsive?

Discussion is appreciated :thumbsup:

Well with the Tevion 8000 & the Philips 5980 I found that neither would play certain types of AVI/Video file properly.

As an example I converted a YouTube Flashplayer file to AVI format, stuck it on a CD-RW & neither of the above could handle it.

On the flip side the same video file plays without any issues in a Sony NS76H and NS78H.

Some of these budget players will play various stuff which the mainstream ones won't, but it seems that they may have limitations which may well be down to the chipsets they use.

Same goes for players with USB inputs. Some of them can be a bit fussy with what you stick into the USB slot.

I know what you mean about forums you can have 99 people love a product but it takes only 1 to put that seed of doubt in your mind,then its back to square 1 sometimes.

If this is the same spec as last years Tevion 8000 it will also play DVD-AUDIO which is nice for the price.

I was in Aldi today and picked up the new leaflet, these are not on sale until Thursday 06 Sep... Im seriously thinking of getting one. Ive scanned in the page click on the link below to have a look.

Anybody got one of these? Reviews? How do they handle AVI files? I like the idea of the USB port so can just plug in USB stick to play AVIs etc? And at £34.99 with all that conectivity and HD upscaling it just seems to good to be true!!! Multi region hack? Responsive remote control?

What you guys think?

It comes with a free HDMI cable too,wwooo.

I went through 4 Tevion divx players last year. All failed for different reasons but at least I got a refund or exchange each time.

Very likely it was just a bad batch though :)

Bought the Tevion last year and in common with many others in a previous thread I found it useless. However I did not keep the receipt so could not return it. Many, like myself , foound it functioned ok for about 40 45 mins and then refused to play and just displayed a still picture. I hope they have ironed out the flaws now if you do buy one.
PS You can have mine for a tenner.:lease:

I got on of these from Aldi last time round, you can hack it (requires basic soldering) so that it will play avi's/divx from a (powered) HDD. I've found that my 306 over VGA does a much better job at upscaling.

i had one of these dvd 8000 for around 6 months,was in the bedroom so wasnt used much at all,suddenly it developed a fault so it wouldnt read any discs at all.i didnt have the reciept so i binned it and bought a phillips 5980 which has been fantastic and even produces a decent picture on my 508XD.So if i was going to spend £40 on a upscaling DVD player id go for the phillips 5960 which does everything the tevion does and doest have a remote that looks and feels like it fell out of a Christmas cracker

hey thats interesting, thanks for the link..... Im almost certain that Im gonna get this and alos the Philips 5960 and then play with both before taking the loser back. The Philips 5960 is in Asda at 49.99 at moment. I know its cheaper online but Asda are easy to take stuff back to.

It appears to be a clone of the Silvercrest kh6515 sold at lidl.The setup menus are identical to the tevion players just a different splash screen.See the manual here.
http://www.mysilvercrest.de/foto/support/KH6515_16_UK.pdf

Whats up with the remote mate? Is it responsive? My cyberhome remote I use at moment is crap, I mean the button layout, the size, and you have to literally wave it at the machine for it to work!

i had one of these dvd 8000 for around 6 months,was in the bedroom so wasnt used much at all,suddenly it developed a fault so it wouldnt read any discs at all.i didnt have the reciept so i binned it and bought a phillips 5980 which has been fantastic and even produces a decent picture on my 508XD.So if i was going to spend £40 on a upscaling DVD player id go for the phillips 5960 which does everything the tevion does and doest have a remote that looks and feels like it fell out of a Christmas cracker

the remote is basically poorly laid out and not responsive at all,you have to point it directly at the machine for it to work,and most of the time you have to repeat the button push..........not very good.i know that the player is only £40,but i have to say that the remote did lead to some frustration on my part,in fact i was glad when the thing died!

That sounds like my Cyberhome, crap layout and totally unresponsive... Im sure it will bug me on the Tevion aswell then! Darn.. Anybody have the Philips 5960 can tell us how the remote is?

Hi

bought one of these today-last one at Rochdale store. I have had 2 Tevion DVD players in the past, the first gave up after 6 months, but the replacement has been ok for over 2 years.

The features it has are first rate with USB, Card reader and HDMI (with lead included.) Looks a bit crap though. Will be setting up to my TV asap- if you want to know what its like, let me know.

Cheers

JD

Jimbojones, what does the new one upscale to? is it any better than last years?

States 480p/576p, 720p 1080i- pretty ugly looking beast though. Didnt have the DVD8000 so not sure if its any better. With Tevion gear I guess its a bit of a flyer to their reliability, but for the price, you cant go wrong. Picture is more than acceptable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom