Tevion DVD Recorder - Aldi tomorrow

S

snipered

Hi,
I just bought this today.

I have to say, i am really impressed. It's really easy to set-up and use.

The only thing i didn't like was when you press off it stays on although it's off. I mean the display as if the unit is on but it is off.

Apart from this, i can't fault it. Everything is really easy to use.

If there's a specific feature you want to know about let me know, i will let you know.

tedpon

Standard Member
i agree black,who knows, but if i diddent already have loads of tevion stuff eg, 160 hdd n dvd recorder, plus the hdmi tevion upscaling player,etc ,..which are all very good,...i would get this new recorder,as it records 5,1 sound ,...also component out,but no upscaling,great at twice the price for 5,1 alone,..cheers,..tedpon.:thumbsup:

Black20VT

Hi,
I just bought this today.

I have to say, i am really impressed. It's really easy to set-up and use.

The only thing i didn't like was when you press off it stays on although it's off. I mean the display as if the unit is on but it is off.

Apart from this, i can't fault it. Everything is really easy to use.

If there's a specific feature you want to know about let me know, i will let you know.
I didn't end up picking one up. I wonder if I can still get one tomorrow?

I'm just trying to work out how I could connect my Sky+ to the recorder?

What connections are available to use?

Thanks.

S

snipered

Hi, i personally am using scart to connect my sky digital and record off it.

However you have all these available:

Scart in/out
Composite In
Front AV/IN for camcorder
All 5.1 channels for audio out
S-Video Out
Standard Video Out
RF

I'm sure a standard scart should work for SKY+.

This is what i have done:
DVD Recorder - Scart Out To Scart On TV

DVD Recorder - Scart IN To SKY Box Scart OUT.

Then when you turn it on, you keep pressing the source button until you get Scart IN and everything works fine.

As for getting it tomorrow, don't see why not. However, i had to ask at the till as i couldn't find it anywhere. He went to the back to get it for me.

Black20VT

I'm trying to decide what to do.

Last month, I purchased a Tevion DVD Player, but for the last week, it won't turn off, open or anything unless I unplug it.

I was therefore thinking of taking that back faulty and getting this DVD Recorder instead.

Do you think they'd do that? :confused:

S

snipered

Yea, i'm sure they would do that.

My friend just recently gave back his Divx dvd player for the HD one.

If it's faulty they should return it.

Let me check whether it's multi-region. I have some region 1 movies, i will check now and give you an answer.

S

snipered

Just to let you know, yep it's region free. It does say it somewhere in the manual but i don't always trust the manuals. I tried a region 1 DVD and works fine.

I have the divx dvd player aswel but this plays divx so keepin the old one upstairs.

old_codger

Standard Member
Hi,

I got one of these today, and it's early days, but there are a couple of things worth pointing out - I'd like to know if anyone else has seen the same.

First, when the unit is in standby mode, and passing-through RGB Scart video from my skybox, it makes a very significant change to the colour balance - the colours all become oversaturated and 'poppy'. This doesn't happen if I turn the unit on, and pass RGB Scart video through it by selecting 'Scart' from the source button on the remote. Not critical, but a bit annoying.

Second, depending on whether the unit is in standby or active (as above) there is a big difference in the audio levels on passed through signals. Subjectively, I'd say about 6dB, which is enough to be annoying. I can't 'tune it out' by playing with the various level controls on the skybox or the DVD recorder, so I have to lunge for the TV remote when changing sources.

I'll try playing with different Scart cables to see if that makes a difference to the colour issue, but I doubt it's a cable issue.

Other than that, I find it amazing they can sell this thing for the money. My brief tests make me conclude that the recording quality is plenty good enough for its intended purpose (Xmas films for the kids), it's easy to set up, has a good array of I/O options and comes with a competent set of cables and accessories.

Incidentally, it's wired like this:

Sky >>scart>> Tevion recorder >>scart>> Sony 28" Wega

I'll play some more and post findings - may find time to put it on the 'big' system later for a proper work out.

All the best,

Glenn.

S

snipered

Hi,

i have noticed the colour difference aswell. When you turn it on standby it is different to when it's actually on the source scart.

Haven't noticed any sound difference though.

old_codger

Standard Member
Follow up...

I've had a proper play with this Aldi box now, and I'm getting less and less impressed. Maybe I just have unrealistic expectations given the price!

The colour balance problem has not gone away, despite much tinkering. I've tried two wiring schemes, and used about six different SCART leads (all fully wired, and all known to be good). I've tried it like so:

SCART between Sky box (VCR output) and DVD recorder
SCART between Sky box and TV direct
SCART between DVD recorder and TV

also 'daisychained' Sky >> scart >> DVD rec >> scart >> TV

Whichever way I do it, there is *very* obvious image quality loss from the SCART output of the DVD recorder - text becomes blurred and has visible colour fringing, colour balance is noticeable degraded etc. (This is not just while recording, or playing back recordings - it happens while just passing video from the sky box, i.e. whenever the DVD recorder is 'in the signal path').

The unit also seems to fail to assert the correct voltage on SCART pin 8, so it doesn't set the aspect ratio correctly - when I power the unit on, it always tries to set the TV to a 4:3 aspect, regardless of the format of any video signal.

Ah well. What should I expect for £60-odd quid? On the plus side, my wife doesn't find it too offensive. Maybe spending ten years as a tech support manager for video editing products has made me a bit picky.

The verdict: It's got lots of limitations, and significant corners have been cut, but you can't really expect anything else at the price. I'm going to keep it, on the basis that it will probably pay for itself in a single week of recording movies over Christmas. I just know I'll never be quite happy with it, so it probably won't be long before it gets given to the kids for the play room!

Happy Christmas all,

Glenn.

toycollector

Novice Member
Follow up...

I've had a proper play with this Aldi box now, and I'm getting less and less impressed. Maybe I just have unrealistic expectations given the price!

The colour balance problem has not gone away, despite much tinkering. I've tried two wiring schemes, and used about six different SCART leads (all fully wired, and all known to be good). I've tried it like so:

SCART between Sky box (VCR output) and DVD recorder
SCART between Sky box and TV direct
SCART between DVD recorder and TV

also 'daisychained' Sky >> scart >> DVD rec >> scart >> TV

Whichever way I do it, there is *very* obvious image quality loss from the SCART output of the DVD recorder - text becomes blurred and has visible colour fringing, colour balance is noticeable degraded etc. (This is not just while recording, or playing back recordings - it happens while just passing video from the sky box, i.e. whenever the DVD recorder is 'in the signal path').

The unit also seems to fail to assert the correct voltage on SCART pin 8, so it doesn't set the aspect ratio correctly - when I power the unit on, it always tries to set the TV to a 4:3 aspect, regardless of the format of any video signal.

Ah well. What should I expect for £60-odd quid? On the plus side, my wife doesn't find it too offensive. Maybe spending ten years as a tech support manager for video editing products has made me a bit picky.

The verdict: It's got lots of limitations, and significant corners have been cut, but you can't really expect anything else at the price. I'm going to keep it, on the basis that it will probably pay for itself in a single week of recording movies over Christmas. I just know I'll never be quite happy with it, so it probably won't be long before it gets given to the kids for the play room!

Happy Christmas all,

Glenn.
Everything you describe i see on my LG dvr175.Could it be a fault with Sky?

old_codger

Standard Member
Hi,

Everything you describe i see on my LG dvr175.Could it be a fault with Sky?
Interesting. I guess it could be a fault with Sky, or with these recorders in general. I had a thought that maybe this unit *always* encodes the video to MPEG, which may account for the quality loss. Then I discounted that idea, as it seems to be a really dumb way to do things; after all, passing video through directly seems much simpler. But who knows, it may do that, just as some AV amps always process incoming audio (doing an A2D >> D2A process regardless of whether it's needed or wanted).

One thing I didn't point out earlier which I should have done - the MPEG encoding quality is just fine (on SP, haven't tried other settings), so it actually does its job pretty well in that regard.

Nadolig Llawen,

Glenn.

cyn

Standard Member
Hi, i personally am using scart to connect my sky digital and record off it.

However you have all these available:

Scart in/out
Composite In
Front AV/IN for camcorder
All 5.1 channels for audio out
S-Video Out
Standard Video Out
RF

I'm sure a standard scart should work for SKY+.

This is what i have done:
DVD Recorder - Scart Out To Scart On TV

DVD Recorder - Scart IN To SKY Box Scart OUT.

Then when you turn it on, you keep pressing the source button until you get Scart IN and everything works fine.

Hi I am new too this combination of sky+ and tevion dvd recorder! I have connected the two like this and all works fine picture appears good as it rolls to the left and splits in 4 ! Does anyone have any futher advice PLEASE. I have tried all connection options and many scart leads etc, many thanks, Cyn

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom