Integrated AC3 Dolby Digital Decoder
Video formats 4:3, 16:9
On screen display
Zoom function
Multi angle function*
Selection of language for audio and subtitle*
Vacuum fluorescent display
Playback: DVD, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, SVCD, VCD, Audio-CD, MP3-CD
Record modes: HQ - 60 min; SP - 120 min; LP - 180 min; EP - 240 min; SLP - 360 min
Scart cable included
Multi-function IR remote (batteries included)
One blank DVD+RW
Three years manufacturer's warranty also included. *Depends on software.

Link is: http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_491.html

Doesn't seem bad for a first time purchase especially with the 3 years warrenty. :thumbsup:

Has anybody got any experience with them or advice. :lesson:

Hi Ian,

Would love to know who makes this machine anybody help?
Argos selling the Lite-on for £119 and you get £10 voucher, it will play both DVD-R/WR & DVD+R/WR and you don,t need to queue outside a supermarket to get it. Would appreciate any views on which is best and who actually makes them.

Thanks

Hi Sammythe,

Didn't know about the Lite-On but I will give it a look, there
is a review of it from Home Cinema Choice which can be found at:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=4475

The idea I liked about the tevion was that it comes with a 3 year warrenty,
and for the price and the speed at which this market is evolving it makes it
worth considering until they start making units which include a digital receiver
and record 5.1 sound.

Now someone will tell me they already do :oops:

I have a DVD player multi region cost £34.99 and has played everything I have thrown at it, had mine for over a year now. Produces a really nice picture via the S-Video too, well pleased, so much so that when Makro were selling the Akura 32" nicam TV I went out a bought one, which is a nice TV too.

Some time ago I had a Tevion DVD player from Aldi - it's now been returned as it eventually packed up.

One problem though was that it shared some remote control codes with my Toshiba TV. So if I pressed the 'increase volume' button on my TV remote, it also zoomed in the DVD (but bizarrely pressing the 'zoom' button on the Tevion remote didn't change the TV volume). Unfortunately there were a number of buttons that behaved that way. When I called the Tevion helpline about it I got the impression that it was a common complaint.

I've no idea whether the Tevion DVD recorder suffers from the same problem, but it's perhaps worth bearing in mind - though I guess you won't find out if it's a problem until you get it home!

Stompa

Hi Ianrob,

Just picked up the Aldi leaflet which is quoting £139.99 for the Tevion DVD recorder, an idea if they have regional pricing?

Just picked up the Aldi leaflet which is quoting £139.99 for the Tevion DVD recorder, an idea if they have regional pricing?

I don't know, but the leaflet I picked up in Aldi (Cambridge) a couple of days ago definitely says £119.99.

Stompa

We recieved our Dec 2nd flyer through the letterbox today it shows the price as £139-99.
Yes the web site is £119-99
Anyone know what Aldi are playing at?

my advice is to pop down on thursday and if it's at 119-99 then buy it, if not walk away.

thinking about it if the aldi is 139-99 then would it not be wise to go for pan E55 for less than 200-00?

Hi all,

I picked up the leaflet for it in store, but yesterday received a flyer with
the free local paper which stated the £139.99 price. I can only assume they
changed the price down after having these leaflets printed (or someone in
there proofreading section cocked up :oops: ). Anyway another thing which
interested me was on the back of this leaflet it stated you can return an
item upto 12 months after purchase (with receipt) for a no quibble refund !!!!.

It seems as if an unscrupulous person could use one for a year and then
return it when hopefully the branded makes come down in value. :devil:

Has anyone managed to find any further info on it. e.g. RGB inputs or
reviews ?

I read on another forum that Staples are doing the Relysis DVDrecorder at 89.99 instore only!!! it seems to be the same one as the aldi one. the relysis one has scart input (not sure if RGB) and componant progressive.

i havn't confirmed so don't quote me on this. :zonked: :suicide:

Well done Stompa, looks like it to me as well. Would you know if it is multi region?

davidgirecourt said:
Well done Stompa, looks like it to me as well. Would you know if it is multi region?

It looks very much like the Staples Relisys RDVD250 which I got this week for £90!

It cannot be made region free.

It only has S-Video and Composite Video in.

I've only used DVD+RWs (Verbatim) - none of my four DVD set-top players will accept the disks - of course there is no problem playing back on the unit itself!

Read my post http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167617

As you can see I have some issues with it - but it was cheap.

Gussie

Mmmh

Good to know. I suppose I can buy it, try it and assess your comments and give it back if the compatibility issue is just too much.

Thanks a lot for the info.

David

Can anyone tell me if these machines generally will accept the output from a set-top box, so that I can record digital TV programmes?

Only if it has 2 scarts, one for the television and one for the set top box, could anyone confirm this?

I got one from my local Aldi in Hounslow. The enclosed DVD+RW was a dud. When I switch it off I get sound only on the TV. If I disconnect the Scart lead all is normal but of course I have to reconnect the scart to watch the DVD again. Any ideas?

They don't seem to be selling very fast - still had a big stack of them in my local Aldi today.

Rumour has it that Staples were (or maybe still are?) selling the Relisys version of this recorder a short while ago for £89 - so the Aldi price doesn't look that great.

Stompa

I tried every combination of connections and eventually rang the help line. They said that the unit was not designed to watch tv when the recorder is in standby. Also the clock gained 3 minutes every 24 hours so that meant that timer recording was going to be fun. The help line advice was to reset the clock every morning.

I took it back and got a refund. I got some John Lewis vouchers for Christmas so I had a look in Kingston and bought an LG 4912 with a two year warranty. £199 less £70 for my vouchers. I'm very pleased...it's a terrific machine. :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom