1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tevion 32" Aldi LCD + Xbox hidef - 720p and beyond?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by serial45, Jun 6, 2005.

1. serial45

serial45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey guys, bit thread specific I realise but I just want to collate the users of tevion + xbox into on thread.

I have finally got my xbox hidef working, with the 3 pin adapter from keene running through TV + my Audigy 2 sound system

I have things running in 480p! all fine and dandy
    But any games that support 720p plus basically just look like this image below:
    [​IMG]

Now the game is running and the sound is playing, but the screen just looks way out of frequency. I have tried toying about with some things but just cant get it to budge / work.

I know we have a few users with tevion 32" + xbox hi def. Have you guys had much look in these areas?

Thanks in advance.
    Adam

2. Scotty306

Scotty306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm sure you know what you're doing, ;)
    But can you confirm that you've enabled NTSC on a PAL box, using a softmod or chip. :smashin:

3. serial45

serial45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yes I am using modded xbox.
    Also used eeprom boot enabler to switch to NTSC mode
    Besides my true-crime LA is also NTSC game.

Also xbox media centre will only work on 480p mode, 720p or 1080i just end up losing the frequency.

agh this is annoying already.

4. serial45

serial45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    also 480p is working and the fact the xbox dash has the options to enable 720p / 1080i also shows the hidef is working via NTSC.

5. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hmmm... not reached this point yet mate as I am waiting for my HiDef kit and cables...

Apart from all the other stuff you have tried I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that the hard disk needs to be unlocked.

What modchip do you have by the way?

6. serial45

serial45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    my hard drive is a 250gb customised HD, using an xbit chip, everything points to the xbox supporting it, i mean if my xbox wasnt modded and wasnt NTSC i wouldnt even have the options to support 480/720p or 1080i.
    So im convinced this is an issue with the TV just not supporting it.
    Seen notes in the main thread about a guy having issues with a dvd player hitting 720p.

hmm if thats the case i'll be ****ed right off and they can have it back!

7. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I have posted regarding this issue in the main TEVION thread, here is an extract.

The Green screen issues which I have look distintly different between DVI Video and Component Scart (YPrPb).

DVI Video Green Screen
    Displays "Not Supported" plus screen many vertical green and blue lines, if you leave it on this setting for more than a few seconds the display "locks" no matter if you press TV or SCART buttons, and you have to turn off for 10secs to "reset". Sometimes it locks to a complete light blue screen.

Scart / Component Green Screen
    Displays resolution when you press display button e.g. l080i25, but screen mainly green, with broken picture appearly occassionally. This image does not lock the screen.

This is my setup:-

Tevion Scart 1: Samsung Component to Scart (Profigold)
    Tevion Scart 2: Samsung Scart to Scart
    Tevion DVI: Samsung DVI

I have run through the complete combinations of NSTC and PAL modes on the Samsung, and I have checked the picture on Scart 1 / Scart 2 / DVI.
    I have also tried PAL discs in NTSC mode and NTSC disks in PAL mode on each resolutions.

The following DO NOT WORK:-

480p60 DVI Video
    720p60 Scart / Component
    768p60 DVI Video (Scart/Component OK) Is possible with DVI PC, but width and horizontal position need setting)
    1080i30 Scart / Component

720p50 Scart / Component
    768p50 DVI Video / DVI PC (Scart/Component OK)
    1080i25 Scart / Component

In PC display on TEVION changing from 576p50 to 720p50 can sometimes lead to the green screen issue, but normally it is OK. I would discribe the DVI Video support as flakely.

Note, no where in the TEVION manual does it state which resolutions are acceptable over Progreesive YPrPb Input. It only states the DVI-Video resolutions/refresh rates, NOT ALL OF THE STATED DVI-VIDEO resolutions work.

The highest progressive YPrPb input I could achieve was 768p60/50 (768x1024), this is not attainable over DVI-VIDEO, however 768p60 was available on DVI-PC.

I think this will be an issue for many people hoping for analogue HD progressive input.

RS

8. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I am probably mentioning stuff you have already checked...but have your read the Xbox-Scene forums and maybe also the XBMC forums?

Gettin the XBOX to play HiDEF doesn't seem to be a particularly straightforward process... I really cant see that you have missed anything but you never know.

9. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Sorry m8 it is very easy to get a xbox into hi-def once its modded or soft-modded, you switch the unit over to NTSC, go into MSdash tick the boxes you want to display, insert a game that supports 720/1080i etc and bang your away, the TV should say the res its playing in, mine says 576p when watching sky thru component, 720p when playing a supported game, The Matrix xbox game says 1080i.

Taz

10. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks for confirming that mate....
    so you are getting 1080i via component into your Tevion 27" LCD?

11. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yes indeedy m8, and very nice it is, that is via the component connections and via DVI from my PC when feeding it Hidef clips from MS like T2-1080

Taz

12. serial45

serial45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    interesting mate, ... so you get 1080i via 27" tevion? DO you get anything in 720p?

btw is this via PC / DVI mode.
    Is there anyway that I can output a progressive signal from my ATI x-800 XT 256mb card.
    I mean perhaps 720p / 1080i is only possible via DV-I?
    if I can get it working in DV-I then maybe ill keep it.

I have fiddled with this for hours, used the boot disk to load into NTSC. I have a few games that support 720p / 1080i

Tried in both modes, all i get is that weird screen (in the picture above), and sound.

Also xbox media centre also supports 720p/1080i.

I am ticking the options from xbox dash, but nothing above 480p will work.

Im waiting eagerly for buster / some others to get the hidef kit for xbox, if it dont work for u guys, then mine is going back.

Im thinking of getting into debt and spending a few hundred extra on a decent model.

13. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I get 720p/1080i via Component from my xbox in games aswell as XBMC upscaling dvds, via DVI from the PC, I use the MS Hi-Def kit from my xbox, works a treat, cracking quality, there is a Samsung 32" around on the thread due in soon for around £800 inc del, specs seem to suggest it has HDMI etc, someone is expecting theirs today.

Taz

14. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    This is where I continue to be confused by this.....

Unless I am mistaken there should be no difference in the component connections on your 27" Tevion and the 32"....even though the connectors themselves are maybe physically different (scart as opposed to phono/rca).....

So on that basis if you feed the same Xbox component video into the 32" Tevion using the same HD kit, leads etc... it should work the same..... well unless the Tevion 32" just doesn't support that resolution via component...... not good! :thumbsdow (or maybe that generally is the way it is?)

I can understand how the DVI port would support these higher resolutions... you can easily see this by connecting a PC and changing the resolutions plus it clearly states the available resolutions in PC mode (but is in my opinion less clear about what is supported via the component scarts) :confused:

Although the Tevion does not have HDMI natively an adaptor is widely available for around £20 I think so that should resolve that issue (if it proves to be one)....the only point on this is that I think HDMI supports audio too.... obviously DVI doesn't but then I don't think many people would want to run audio back into the TV anyway really having connected a new super fancy HD device..... (if they did it would have to be input into the 3.5mm audio jack)

I'll be interested to read about that Samsung.... we have really pulled to bits just about every feature on the Tevion now. :rotfl:

And yeah I must admit I do want to get my Xbox High Def kit to try to prove either way but it sounds like you and others have everything well sussed.... so I don't hold out much hope there. :suicide:

15. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    In theory yes m8, unless like you say the 32" doesnt support 720p etc thru the scart connection, wierd to say the least why they chose this route for component connections, but still, however if your local to Bristol I may be willing to lend you my MS Hi-def kit for you to try at least then you and others will know if the 32" does support xbox hd over component to scart as it seems this is the pain in the ### for you guys at the moment. I am also waiting to hear about the Samsung to see what connections etc it has got, details are a bit vague at present.

Hope this helps

Taz

16. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi Taz... my XBOX High Def kit is on it's way from the US.. thanks anyway though...

The Samsung (damn I wish I hadn't looked at thread) has excellent connections on the back and looks cool....appart from HDMI natively the Tevion has the same connectivity I'd say except it is combined through the scarts. However against the Tevion the screen itself judging buy the specs isn't so good... and it is unclear still what the response time is...

SAMSUNG LE32R41B MANUAL

I have to admit I am very tempted.... but I am also very suspicious of Empire Direct.... seems to me like they have no stock and have priced down the TV to get a mass of orders.... that's not say that they will stick the price up again but delivery times could be very long..... the next best price for it is about £200 more.

The combines digital TV receiver would be quite nice too I think..... erm.... the Tevion doesn't have this does it????.....I mainly use NTL via RGB scart.

Another thing thats got me wondering is the 3 year warranty with the Tevion....

It is tempting to jump for the Samsung but untill we start to get the same kind of feedback and testing that we have had for the Tevion we will not know if it really is any better.

17. serial45

serial45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I mean tevion would be stupid not to support 720p+ via the component scarts, especially if the 27" supports it via the RCA.

Would be such a let down :(, hoping someone will dive out and get the VGA2 box and test it via the DVI.

18. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Yes when you put it like that it really doesn't make sense... it's on this basis that I might return the TV ultimately....

But everything else I am over the moon with so I am giving it a chance.

19. serial45

serial45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ON a plus note guys xbox 360 is rumoured to have DV-I straight out of the box, if nto out of the box then through buying a cable for sure!.

20. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Yes I have seen that too mate :smashin:

21. maxman3d

maxman3d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there I'm having the same screen problem as in the image ,And i can not work around in any way ..
    I looked at that samsung and it looks like a good deal to me so i think that i will be going for that one ,And all so if you look on the samsung site its not on there but most of there models have 16ms which is not bad ...I no the tevion is 8ms but is it really we have no way of testing that do we ...

22. serial45

serial45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    whilst I would love to tell you guys the good news I was hoping for, unfortunately, I have none :(.

MY friend bought me back 2 of these adapters with composite leads :

[​IMG] these are the leads used on xbox 360 development kits to link to DV-I compatible screen.

I have tried toying about with all of the small switches on the adapter (480i/480p/720p/1080i/16:9 etc). all i get is a rainbow effect like the one below :
    [​IMG]

23. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    ******!...well thats pretty much it then....no High Def Xbox..... I am really not very happy about this... chances are I wouldn't even use it much.... but I just feel that I should be able to regardless....

Call to Medion tomorrow! :thumbsdow

24. serial45

serial45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i still have high hopes that the vga box may work, but like hell am i going to go to the expense of that on top of everything else.

I may just settle for 480p, i mean I know the DV-I is working, i have my resolution on 1366*768,
    and loving the ability to play movies from my pc.
    I have seen evidence of some dv-i dvd players displaying 720p, so thats enough for me.

THe problem I face if I take this back is getting another TV that has DV-I with good refresh rates and guarantees 720p/1080i via the composites, anyone have any solutions for around £1k?

25. REALDEAL

REALDEAL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    NOT LOOKING GOOD WAS GONNA HAVE A LOOK AT THESE ..........ASWELL WONT BOTHER NOW :thumbsdow http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/videoware/atidvihtml.html

JUST CANT UNDERSTAND why they didn't keep everthing the same as the 27" model and just increase the screen.............. :thumbsdow
    really cant be arsed with buying new dvi dvd players when the one i have now is totally adequate,............i mean 750 quid then cables, adaptors on top....only to find ...that they dont work ...properly...makes you wonder what type of tests these tellys actually went thru in the first place.........think i'll give it to the weekend.........to see if there are any new developments.............fingers crossed

THANX...

26. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Sadly that ATI purple adapter won't work.

That's used for ATI Radeon video cards to output Component Video. But, it's only an Adapter - not a converter. The Radeon actually can output the Component signal through its DVI port when that device is attached to it. The only reason it doesn't have Component outputs on the back of the card I would imagine is because of a lack of space.

27. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    The Green strips you see are a known issue, the TV will not support (BUT SHOULD) HDTV 480p60. The "solution I have found, is to turn off the screen (using standby remote ok) for at least 10 secs. Once you have the green strips, they seldom go away, and you have to turn off.

I have noticed this using the Samsung DVI output, TEVION DVI-VIDEO Mode, you can also try DVI-PC Mode for 720p^), but then you have to change width and position.

Occasionally in HDTV 720p60 mode, if you switch to TV or SCART1/2 and then back to PC the green strips appear.

Try turning off for 10 secs, using 720p60 or 1080i30.

28. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Right Ok...back to basics for me so I am really understanding this properly and a few simple questions...

1. To display HD must you go through either a DVI or HDMI port?
    2. Should a standard component connection support for example 720p (and therefore an Xbox)
    3. Assuming the answer to point 2 is Yes - why do you think 720p via compenent (and in the case of the Tevion via the wired scart) do you think this is not working
    4. Is there the potential for 720p/1020i to work via component/scart?
    5. Other thaan connect my laptop at the highest resolution I can.... is there any other way that I can connect another device to test for anything other than standard progressive scan. I should have my Xbox Hi Def pack within a few days now.

Many of the bugs that I have listed and other people have mention do seem fixable....I'm just concerned that this issue around component and High Def is more fundamental.

Serial: can you just confirm again for me please what happened when you tried to connect your Hi Def pack via component.... what dashboard settings you were using, Xbox biso version etc...etc...

Lyris: I believe you had your Xbox running 720p? on the Samsung.... would you mind also doing the same thing please.... just confirm how it's all connected, how you have set the resolution on the Xbox... bios versions.... modchip etc...

Cheers guys.... just want to be clearer about the limitations here really before I speak to Medion myself.

29. serial45

serial45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well I have 2 adapters and component,

I have a top end Radeion x-800 XT PE card and have tried running it from the dvi port. it does exactly the same thing.
    DO you have any info on how I can get it running via my DV-i do i need any special software?

thanks in advance

30. serial45

serial45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Tried taht mate, tried turning off, switching between av1 / back to pc mode

The 480p60 works fine on xbox hi def via the scart/components, but anything above will not :(.