Tevion 26" LCD Aldi special offer. Thoughts???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by horza1320, Jan 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. horza1320

horza1320

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Relica

Relica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for butting in here but I would also like some feedback on this make and model mainly for 360 gaming.

Three year guarantee can't be bad

3. nice1andy

nice1andy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just noticed the TV on ALDI's website as well. Looks like a steal at the price. Thinking of getting one for wall mounting on bedroom wall. Can't find any reviews on it, hence me gatecrashing the thread :)

I'm hoping to use it with Freeview and also for output from a PC in another room over VGA for watching DVD/DivX etc.

I'm not expecting miracles from it as it appears to be "cheap as chips" and now making some of the refurbed ONN/Beko models (12 months RTB warranty) @ £200 inc VAT, not quite the bargain I thought they were - £70 more gets this new TV with 3yr warranty.

I'm keeping on eye on the thread. Sorry for the lack of input that the OP requested.

4. ChrisG_UK

ChrisG_UK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These points might be relevant!

I bought a Tevion LCD3210ID in November from Aldi for £349 as a Christmas present for my girlfriend

The good points.

• Very good picture. Not as good as my 42PX70 but much better than my sisters Panny LCD

The bad points
    • Video/Audio sync problems. Cleared by station switching but irritating.
    • DVD aspect problems. Have to manually switch into widescreen.
    • Major Freeview aspect problems. The biggest problem is that for BBC1 (and maybe others) it displays what I can only assume is a 16:9 cropped to 4:3 then stretched to 16:9. Other channels seem okay.
    If you connect an external Freeview box everything works well, even the Auto 16:9/4:3 switching that you get on channels like Dave works.

Spoke to Ekay and they said there is no fix available for the aspect problems and no replacements so they suggested I got my money back (from them)

So unfortunately Tevion have done it again. What could have been a really good TV has been spoilt by poor software.

5. nice1andy

nice1andy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To second the above response, I've just found a thread on MoneySavingExpert (apologies if this is against the rules to post - please remove if so):-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=543022

Backs up the claims of issues with audio sync on the built in Freeview on a 32" Tevion and the same on a Tevion external Freeview box. So for me, the TV is a non-starter. Oh well, back to the drawing board (or more budget!) :) DAMN!

6. gundo

gundo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had a 32" LCD in May that was the biz but I panicked as I was a bit short of cash at the time and returned it, sadly.

Bought the 32" LCD that came out later last year and the picture was poor via SCART and the built in Freeview had audio sync issues. Great picture via PC VGA (my DIVX movies played beautifully). This too went back.

Just bought a 26" today and I'll let you know how I get on.

They appeared to be selling very well as I got mine at 9.20am and there were only 3 left then.

7. Davidavidavid

Davidavidavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi new to the forums and all that jazz. Bought the TV just after 9:00 am this morning, none were left by the time I left the checkouts.

Getting it home it has an impressive spec. 2 HDMIs, HD component, 2 scarts, normal component etc. I am going to be using this for my Xbox 360 and seeing the price I was not expecting much, just playable. Well hot damn, the picture is actually really good. No lag, the picture is bright and vibrant. I have not tested the black but to be honest I am only playing COD4 so black is not that much of a problem :)

Great value, I don't know if they will have any left but if I were you get to your local ALDI and buy one :D

8. horza1320

horza1320

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one too. My aldi had loads left, probably because they wernt on display due to regular thefts from the store! Pretty good for the price, suitable for a bedroom, etc. The only thing to note is that the contrast between different blacks isnt very good. The freeview tuner is ok but it makes a funny static noise every time you change channel.

9. gundo

gundo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well the DTV tuner is vastly improved, no discernable audio sync problem. Picture quality pretty good, RGB via SCART not fantastic though. HDMI upscaled DVD (720p) looked great (Philips 5960) . Sound is a bit boxy.

For the money with a 3 year warranty it's a billy bargain!

Hope that helps.

10. dprior

dprior
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My parents were after a new LCD tv for their dinning room to replace the 17" CRT model. Found the Tevion 26" at Aldi and after reading a few comments on the 32" model Aldi sold last year I suggested this one to them.
    To be honest I'm not that impressed. I wasn't expecting miracles for that price but I thought it would be better than it is.
    It will only be connected with an analogue signal (freeview unavailable in their area at the mo.), that being the normal channels and sky via a distributor (RF).
    The picture has poor black detailing and the skin tones make people look like they are made from wax. I did test the tv with a DVD player through RGB scart, although the image was quite sharp it still showed a lack of depth of detail, again making everything look like it was 'painted by numbers'.
    I know LCD is hard pushed to compare to CRT but my folks have a 2.5 year old BEKO 26" LCD in their bedroom which when purchased was at the budget end of the market, but comparing the two on the same sky (RF) signal the difference between the two is staggering. The BEKO being far far better (natural looking)

It is possible that through other inputs the image may improve, or for game console us it proves ok, but for us it was a disappointment and will unfortunately be going back.

:thumbsdow

11. thegrendal

thegrendal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have purchased the TV, it has a dropped pixel and as previously mentioned I dont feel the picture quality of colour & black is that good. I bought it for my daughters room so she is happy enough but I dont think I can justify 280 quid for a TV with a dropped pixel and a poor picture- I think it will be going back unfortunetly

12. mdaz

mdaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I Brought this Tv when I got it home it had a dropped pixel, took it back and replaced it.
    When I checked the second one out it also had the same problem, so i ended up getting a refund. I also must agree about the colour.

13. palwing

palwing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had this TV since the day it came out and quite pleased with the picture for such a cheap set. Bought it for the bedroom to replace our Tevion 19" with DVD and the 26" is just the right size. However, there is definitely a Lip Synch problem which is cured by changing channel. If anyone has a better fix, let me know. In the meantime, I will be phoning Aldi suport on Monday and see what they say. If it can't be fixed, I will be after a refund. Will keep you posted.

14. palwing

palwing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have spent all morning of Monday 28th Jan trying to get through to their support service on 01422 263 238. Got a menu and selected option 3 for new fault.

Eventually says they are busy and then cuts you off. So tried option 1 which is chase up on fault already reported. I waited over 20 mins to "You are in a queue" etc...gave up!

So, visited the suggested web to book a call back and the earlies option it gives me is Thursday afternoon!!! Tempted to package this TV up and take it back.

Great picture for the cost, USB input nice touch but poor sound and terrible lip synch means it's not for me.

Will keep you posted.

15. palwing

palwing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well..the story continues. I phoned the Aldi support number again and finally got through. I don't know if I got the most UNHELPFUL person ever, but they were so "Duhhhhhhhh". I explained the fault and got the response, "sorry" as in, "can you repeat that?" I said it all again in CLEAR ENGLISH and got a response you would expect from a 10 year old. After repeating myself many times and giving my address I was offered the chance of a "Techy call back". I asked what time, but she couldn't give me one. Could be this afternoon, could be tomorrow AM? Fat lot of good that is. Did she think I just sit by the phone all day waiting for their call? Anyway, after her 8th "sorry", I got fed up with her asking me to repeat myself, so I put the phone down.

I took the set back to my local Aldi and they were brilliant. The guy there refunded my Credit card imediately with no questions. Excellent service and what you expect nowadays.

Amazingy enough, whilst typing this, I have just had a call from the Aldi technical guy!!! What's the chances of that?? I told him I have got a refund but he asked what was wrong with it. I mentioned the Lip synch problem and he said there had been a software issue on the early sets, but a software update had resolved it. Apparently when you first initialise the set from new, it installs the "update" and that usually sorts the problem. For some reason he reckons mine didn't do it.

He did go on to say that this set has been quite reliable up to now and they have had very few problems. On that basis, it seems mine might have been a one off, so maybe I was just unlucky. We do have another Tevion LCD set (19" with DVD player) which has been returned and fixed once under warranty, but has been good value all the same.

This has been the first time I have had a problem with Aldi service, in the past they have been excellent. Perhaps I was unlucky in getting the "new girl" on the phone?

Hope this helps someone in the future.

16. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just one piece of advice buying tv's from Aldi

STAY CLEAR

Its not worth the hassle. check all other threads regarding Aldi lcd/plasmas, most if not all go back for a refund or suffer glitches.