Testing Tweeters

gtk8

Standard Member
Hi,

I recently bought a pair B&W 704 speakers on fleabay and when they arrived, I noticed one of the tweeters has been crinkled :mad: like someone has pushed it in with their finger, also I don't seem to be able to hear any sound coming from either of them when playing music or DVD's, is there any way to check whether they are actually working?

Could there be a fault with both of the crossovers? ie driven hard or something?

cheers,
Greg.

BenW

Im fairly new to all this but i'd take a guess at the output from your amp being the cause?

Would be fairly strange if both tweeters were kaput. Ask the guy you bought them from

chedmaster

if they are bi-wireable check the jumpers are in place (bottom set of binders connected to top set) unless you are biwiring of course.

windfall

I have had 2 or 3 tweeters fail on B&W speakers over the last 8 years, you can get them replaced at most B&W dealers - a tweeter for a 602 cost me about £40 fitted last time I needed one. I guess the tweeters on the 700 series may be a bit more though?

Tone

gtk8

Standard Member
Thanks guys, I have them bi-wired already so I guess it isn't the jumpers that would be the problem.

Does anyone know if I should definitely be able to hear sound coming out from each tweeter? What would be the best kind of music/movie etc to really be able to tell?

Cheers,
Greg.

davehk

cymbals?

chedmaster

anything, they should make a sound. does it sound right? or does it sound all muddy, like your listening through a wall.

BenW

The darkness is full of treble, give it a go if you've got any.

Should be quite obvious from a distance if you havent got any

Knightshade

Ermmmm... Were they described as fully functioning and undamaged? If so contact the seller and arrange to send them back and get your money back.

You should be able to tell instantly if the tweeters aren't working whatever you play through them.

Trending threads

Top Bottom