Testing the water, but what are my options?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Flippoc, Jan 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Flippoc

Flippoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Hi all,

Well, having now owned a LG 55 oled C7, Denon avr 2400 and a Dali Zensor speaker package since November and not having set any of it up yet due to waiting for building work to be completed I finally managed to unbox it yesterday to work out where to fix the tv bracket before carpet fitting tomorrow.

Guess what, the wife hit the ceiling !! she can't see why we need such a big tv and so many speakers, none of her friends do !!

Imagine my disappointment and annoyance as when researching the package I showed her how big it was and how many speakers there were, and was told "if thats what you really want you've worked hard for it, so get it".

Anyway the LG and Denon could stay but the speakers are the sore point.

The speakers are,

Dali Zensor 3, Dali Zensor 1, Dali E9 sub, Dali Zensor Vokal centre, Dali Alteco Atmos and pair Dali E600 stands.
    total cost £1286.99

One option I thought was does anybody here want the above speaker package in a swop for new Focal Sib Evo 5.1.2 package which is £1099. This package seems smaller and I may get away with it.

Or I try and sell it all cut my loses and get something like the Kef eggs package and forget the Atmos.

As I said Im just seeing what my options are as she may come round once carpet and sofas are in.
    I personally don't think they are that big.

What to do?

Thanks.

2. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    She will get used to it, my wife always does.

TV’s and speakers ‘shrink’ with time, when I put my 65” TV up it looked huge now we both agree that something bigger would be an option in the future.

My approach has inadvertently to go big on speakers then scale back. Current view from seating position for perspective.

Attached Files:

3. Ambienz

Ambienz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I agree with @ChrisNic, it's a war of attrition. Don't do anything, just leave the dust to settle. Over time things become familiar and you will hear less complaints. By the time I introduced the 65" OLED and surround sound system I didn't hear one complaint, but she does enjoy movie night.

For context - this is the second AV surround system - the first still residing in the open plan basement. There is also a internal/external basement audio system, bedroom audio system, bathroom audio and my main audio system in reception room.

Some ideas that helped me - bedroom speakers on wall brackets, ceiling speakers, hidden amps, not using black boxes. You may keep you LRC set up but opt for white / silver eggs or M1 surrounds as a temporary measure. These hide a lot better and wall mounted are less intrusive. At a later stage introduce the rears / side you really want, but you may even decide to keep the smaller speakers by this stage.

Good luck but don't give in just yet - its a process

4. Ambienz

Ambienz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I agree. If that's a 65", I would definitely go bigger next time - you have the room. Mine is in a narrower room so I would struggle with the 77"