1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testing the Arcam DV27

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nigel_williams, Mar 31, 2002.

Tags:
  1. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've managed to borrow an Arcam DV27 from my local Hi-Fi shop for the long weekend. I'm trying it with a Sony VW11 connected via component inputs.

So far, I've found very little (if any) difference between the NTSC progressive via the Arcam and the internal Sony de-interlacer.

Unfortunately, this DV27 doesn't output Progressive PAL so I'm not able to fully test it.

It also has 2 sets of component outputs so (I think) I'd need 2 sets of component cables: 1 for NTSC progressive and 2nd for PAL interlaced. I get no dignal from the progressive component when I put a PAL disc in. Am I missing something?

I was thinking of buying this player but my current feeling is to go for a lower budget DVD player instead until more PAL progressive players are on the market.

Suggestions anyone?

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I suggest you do buy it personally.
    It's not only a good DVD player but a very good CD player.

3. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    The PAL progessive output from the DV27 is excellent, I had the opportunity to demo it recently.

Pity your dealer didn't enable it for you before you borrowed it.

Mark

4. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the.... err tip. I've managed to enable PAL progressive all on my own!

I noticed someone else on the forum using Gladiator chapter 12 where you get an aerial shot of Rome then a pan over a large gold eagle. I just compared it to my S-Video interlaced output from my Panasonic portable (hence the upgrade) and it's much better.

There are no jaggies on the aerial photo and the eagle is really crisp.

Does anyone have any other good test scenes? I seem to remember someone mentioning Star Trek Insurrection?

Just done a search and found this on the projector forum from Gordon:

Insurrection looks so much better!! All the lines and moire patterns disappear!

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Insurrection and Gladiator are good test of de-interlacing film based stuff.

Get out some music DVD's like Buena Vista Social Club, or in concert discs if you want to check out video based de-interlacing. Eagles or James Taylor are tow folk tend to have. Look at the guitar strings on close ups..Are they all jaggy or straight? Can you even see them?

With Insurrection you can also do the dem of composite v s-video v interlaced component out. You'll find it quite obvious how as the image quality going in to the projector improves it's own de-interlacing solution becomes much better at fixing things....Some of the improvements are not to do with de-interlacing though but it's worthwhile doing it just to see what happens...

Gordon

6. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I managed to do a number of tests and I'm quite impressed with it. The CD audio quality is very good, certainly better than ay other DVD player I've heard but can't quite match my DPA Renaissance. But then again, I'm not buying a CD replacement.

The picture quality is superb, especially with PAL progressive. As Gordon says in the previous port, I cannot attribute all improvements to to DV27 as I'm currently using 10m S-Video from a Panasonic LV75 portable which is not even RGB. I did however notice some improvement using the same S-Video cable with the DV27, but the biggest came from component and progressive.

As I said in my first post, progressive NTSC converted by the Sony is excellent, there was little if any improvement using the Arcam.

Now it's just the small matter of £1,600 to find.....

7. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi nigel what dealer let you borrow the dv 27 and how much deposit did you have to pay

jason

8. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It was Billy Vee's in Lee Green/Lewisham. I've been visiting them for a few years so they sort of know me.

They take your details but don't charge your credit card unless you skip off to Brazil with their DVD player!

It's worth giving them a call first.

9. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    that suprises me i have been in there a couple of times and i wasnt too impressed with their attitude !!!

so how good is the arcam ?? i am seriously considering this baby or the new denon 3800

jason

10. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Depends who you talk to I suppose. But they do like their Linn equipment so be prepared for a demo no matter what!!

On the plus side, they do know what they are talking about and I have to agree when they say that there's no such thing as a good single box DVD/CD. The Arcam is a superb DVD but the CD playback (although good) was easily eclipsed by the Linn Genki.

Of you enable the PAL progressive, it makes a big difference. NTSC playback is good but I could see little difference via the progressive from the Sony VW11.

I think I need to see the Denon before making my mind up. Any idea when it's out?

11. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I'm also waiting on the Denon to make the final choice, I can't get a precise date at the moment but I'm told it will be 'soon'

Mark

12. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gents,

As the owner of a DVD 27 I'm currently only using it with a progressive scan output on NTSC for Region 1 dvd's into my Sony VW 10 lcd projector.

Do i understand that you can now get a progressive scan on PAL region 2 discs as well?

If so how do I enable this feature.

Many thanks,

13. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It can be done but I' rather not post it. Enable your private messages and I'll tell you how!

14. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nigel,

Private messages now enabled,

Many thanks.

15. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a proud owner of a DV27, i throughly recommend it. i tested toshibas, sony's, pioneers,panasonic,meridian(good),arcams.
    i can say for certain that arcam was way ahead of the team..
    it outputs all formats perfectly NTSC or otherwise!

tag is good but expensive.value for money is toshiba. if i had money i would gen an ayre or cambridge roundatable dvd player.

but the arcam is the numero 1. their customer service is unmatched..trust me on this.

16. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As I'm a lazy so and so who could not be bothered to switch connections when watching R1 vs R2 discs I'd left the DV27 connected in component (i.e. non-progressive) output. After reading this board felt it was time for a change.

Switched over to progressive on everything last night WOW...........I'm speechless....what a difference......what a player!!

I spun up Gladiator on our 8ft screen - incredible....the scariest thing is though, that my WIFE even noticed the difference and commented (un-prompted) that "the picture looks sharper".

I now, belatedly, feel like it's been £1600 very well spent!