• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

testing rips

alp078

Standard Member
Hi

I'm currently ripping my dvd collection using DVDFab 7.0 (very new to all this - be gentle) to an external HD (1TB) with a view to buying a media player/streamer (maybe the POHD Mini). Given that I probably won't have one for a couple of weeks, but have a heck of a lot of dvds to rip is there anyway i can test to see that i'm actually heading in the right direction and that the rips are ok?

I'd hate to find after all the time put in that i'd been doing something wrong :suicide:

Cheers
alp

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Hi

I'm currently ripping my dvd collection using DVDFab 7.0 (very new to all this - be gentle) to an external HD (1TB) with a view to buying a media player/streamer (maybe the POHD Mini). Given that I probably won't have one for a couple of weeks, but have a heck of a lot of dvds to rip is there anyway i can test to see that i'm actually heading in the right direction and that the rips are ok?

I'd hate to find after all the time put in that i'd been doing something wrong :suicide:

Cheers
alp

Not really as each streamer tends to handle codecs differently. A file that will play on one device may well not play on another :(

On The Plus side I'm yet to find a File that hasn't played on my POHD Mini ;)

alp078

Standard Member
ok, no worries. Guess i just won't steam on and rip them all until i can test as i go! :)

So, i have finished one (that was going on in the background whilst i posted) that has saved as an iso image file. I presume this sounds OK. having read some posts on here about using iso files. And i also presume that as and when i buy the streamer i can plug in the hdd, navigate to the folder with file and playback? Is it, in theory, that simple?

Uridium

Distinguished Member
ok, no worries. Guess i just won't steam on and rip them all until i can test as i go! :)

So, i have finished one (that was going on in the background whilst i posted) that has saved as an iso image file. I presume this sounds OK. having read some posts on here about using iso files. And i also presume that as and when i buy the streamer i can plug in the hdd, navigate to the folder with file and playback? Is it, in theory, that simple?

Yup pretty much. It will play an ISO or Video_TS folder structure as if you had just popped the DVD disc in (Menu's and all).

You could also install ThumbGen and get some moviesheets created while you're waiting as well....;)

A.C. Ryan • View topic - ThumbGen for ACRyan?

alp078

Standard Member
Thanks Uridium, thanks Scumball - both very helpful

I tested the rip using VLC and it seems all good to me. On the back of that i've just impulse purchased a Playon!HD mini - very exciting! My good lady will be pleased to see all the old DVDs ripped and relegated to the loft.

Cheers
alp

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom