Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Testing Panasonic E50

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by codswallop, Dec 15, 2003.

1. codswallop

codswallop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did some tests of the above before Santa lets me have it for keeps on Christmas day

1.Recording from TV onto DVD-RAM. Fine
    2.Recording from TV onto DVD-RAM. Fine
    3.Tried 3 tests to record from VHS to DVD-R using 3 different types of DVD-R (sorry dont have the names to hand, 2 of them came unlabelled, I thinbk the dearest was 'mirror')
    a) Straight copy of a VHS recording (onto cheapest DVD-R) .FINE
    plays back on E50 ok
    does not play back on old Phillips DVD player
    b) tried 'FR' with 2nd DVD-R - stopped just before time limit. Got a coaste, before I could attempt to finalise.
    c) tried 'FR' on 3rd disc to copy movie of just over 2 hrs - sdet FR to 2hr15, presssed STOP at 2hr05. Finialised. got coaster.
    4.Tested FR record to DVD-RAM . selected 20 mins. let run. FIne
    5.tested record from Freeview. FINE
    6.tested timeslip. BRILLIANT

Conclusion. If you use 'FR' then you have to let it record for the interval you have selected. Can anyone comment on this deduction?

Merry Christmas

2. Reepicheep

Reepicheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I've copied about 7 old video recordings onto DVD-R with my E50, all using the FR mode. I've not had one coaster yet (touch wood).

I have used Panasonic DVD-Rs and Verbatim (1-2X) DVD-Rs, both seem to work fine. Although I haven't tried to stop the FR before its finished.

I agree with the Time Slip function - brilliant. I used it on Sunday for the Sports Awards :)

3. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't comment on FR VHS to DVD-R but FR Freeview (Pace Twin Harddisk) to DVD-R you can stop it any time you like and still finalise. Well, I could anyway. :)

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is the "timeslip" function? I've seen this mentioned, but never a description of exactly what it does.
    Mark

5. Reepicheep

Reepicheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Time Slip allows you to start to watch a programme you are recording from the beginning while still recording the end.

6. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Time slip is one of the benefits of using DVD-Ram. Another one is watching something else on the disk while you are recording to that disk.

7. mattwhite1

mattwhite1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am looking at buying a dvd recorder and have about £250 to spend. I want multi-region.

In your opinions, is this a machine worth laying out for, or is there something better for my money?

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    No, if you want reliability, unless you want to try out the Philips and similar clones (Mico DV311 from Sainsburys).

9. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    By the way, if you have a problem finalising a disk it should still play on the machine it was written on. So while still not ideal it's better than a complete coaster, especially if you use the recorder as your main player.

10. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thats not strictly true, as it will only play a few times before the machine is unable to set it up again as it assumes an un-finalised dvd is being inserted to add recordings to, and it needs to prepare the disc and eventually runs out of spare space to do it..

11. codswallop

codswallop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ken, so if my 'FR' recording was set to 2hr 15, and I stopped it at 2hr 05, is that close enough to explain why I got a coaster?

12. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No, you got a coaster because of poor quality media.

13. codswallop

codswallop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Curious. I have tried 3 makes of DVD-R (dont have names to hand) as a test and the cheapest one works ok, and the two more expensive ones became coasters.

Good job I drink a lot of coffee

14. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    A few 'queries' I want to know about the E50 myself are:-

1. On my 4:3 Sony anything recorded in EP mode has a film effect on playback but NOT via the pc's tv card

2. Via the RF feed into my Win TV card on the pc there's 0.5 sec delay when watching on the pc and the TV

If I feed the sound from the Sky box into line in on my pc there's a lip-sync problem again about 0.5 secs

Are the above 'problems' noticed on anyone's E50 also I wonder ?

15. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    All the panasonic recorders have the lip-sync to a degree when playing live tv through them. This is because the signal; is processed and not just passed through and sometimes the picture is more or less complicated to handle and gets out of sync with the sound. However the recording is always spot on unless the source was out which is not uncommon.

16. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Faulty media is what you have. The FR function should work just as well on DVD-R's as it does on RAM discs if the media is of good quality.

As a matter of policy when using FR or otherwise I never go right up to the wire on any DVDR-R cheap or otherwise. The outer edge of the disc seems to be the most vunarable so it pays to alway sacrifice a couple of minues (SP) mode.

With your third disc that failed after stopping it 10 minutes early just demonstrates how poor the quality is of what ever media you are using.

To summarise.. By sacrificing a couple of minutes I have cut down on the number of coasters dramatically.

17. codswallop

codswallop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will do the same test with a branded Panasonic DVD-R when I get the m/c back from Santa.

i do find it odd the recoding to the same (cheap) DVD-R with SP mode works fine from the same source, as a test - i.e. I succsefully recorded all but the last 5 mins of the same movie just to prove that quality of media would work at all in that machine.

I will report back after Chrsitmas with testing FR on the same source with the target for one test being Panasonic DVD-R, and the other test the same make as above

18. codswallop

codswallop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, Thanks to all that have responded.

Merry Christmas

19. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have £250 to spend you only need to consider DVD+ machines like Philips and the budget stuff if you want to be able to play your rewritable discs in another player.If thats not important then the Panny is fine.
    The only recorders with a track record of unreliability are Philips early models,although,as seen above,some Panny's seem a bit picky with cheap blanks.

20. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    How many of the E50's have been sold does anyone know ? Had mine 2 weeks now one of the best things I've ever brought. Tried every function many times not one error or lock up etc, One of the best things is the seamless editing you can do right to the nearest frame even, brilliant..

The price if definatly right now. I feel sorry for those who payed well over double a year or so ago :-(