Testing Not Going to Plan - Anyone Else Tried?

I suspect the answer is yes, but do we know for sure asymptomatic carriers are infectious? I can't remember :(

My son was sent home from school on Wednesday due to a sore throat and over the last 48hrs he's gone from a sore throat to having what I believe to be a cold.

However since this morning he's been complaining of having no sense of smell or taste, I've gone onto the government website a couple of times to see if he should get a test but everytime I go to the next step it says there is no tests and to try in a couple of hours.

Is there anywhere else that you can get tests, I've heard that Boots do them but I'm unsure if that's true.

I'm pretty confident he hasn't got anything more than a common cold which my daughters have had over the past couple of weeks but they didn't complain of loss of smell or taste.

The website also says not to bother getting a test if it's after day 4 so I'm unsure if that would be from today or Wednesday.

Also as schools are now back open I don't know if he should be staying home for 14 days even if he's not tested and whether the whole family should isolate for 14 days, I can't see it being possible for me to get a test posted out in time for it to be valid.

Two of my daughters still live at home and both work with one also at college so I don't know if they should have to isolate for 14 days 🤷‍♂️. My daughter college claim she doesn't need to isolate unless someone in the home tests positive.

However since this morning he's been complaining of having no sense of smell or taste,
Has anyone in your household ever lost their sense of smell or taste prior to this new incident?

Edit: While we're at it, where are thousands of people attending football matches since the rule of six was introduced?

Has anyone in your household ever lost their sense of smell or taste prior to this new incident?

Edit: While we're at it, where are thousands of people attending football matches since the rule of six was introduced?
Nobody has lost their smell or taste in my household before.

When my mother in law had covid and died back in April my niece had those symptoms but that's the only person I know who has.

Regarding the football there's eight games going ahead in the Championship which they're allowing a thousand fans to attend.

If the stadium is big enough for social distancing (and that it is followed).

Regarding the football there's eight games going ahead in the Championship which they're allowing a thousand fans to attend.
Thanks, didn't know that. It does seem they should have put that on hold... but it is a thousand per match, not thousands per match. Still think it's stupid. (Trialling supporters returning, that is)

Last edited:
Maybe it is a way to try and avoid more lockdowns, letting people vent things.

If the stadium is big enough for social distancing (and that it is followed).
Thanks, didn't know that. It does seem they should have put that on hold... but it is a thousand per match, not thousands per match. Still think it's stupid. (Trialling supporters returning, that is)
When I initially seen the story about fans there was talk of Middlesborough being allowed upto a thousand fans which I thought was madness due to the situation in the NE.

Of course if done correctly then getting fans back to games is important for the lower league clubs to continue without going under.

I was venting my anger at the rule of 6 stopping me from seeing family yet fans were going to be allowed back to matches.

And yes it's upto a thousand per games, I said thousands due to the number of games :)

I know the rule of 6 seams harsh and counter intuitive, but it's not. Humans are emotional creatures and we naturally gravitate towards people we know often without even realising it. We're more likely to pass the virus to people we're in closer contact with like relatives as we're more likely to shake hands, hug, kiss, etc.
I don't know why the number 6 was decided on though, in my opinion as long the people meeting are from only 2 households it shouldn't really matter whether it's 6, 8 or 10.

I know the rule of 6 seams harsh and counter intuitive, but it's not. Humans are emotional creatures and we naturally gravitate towards people we know often without even realising it. We're more likely to pass the virus to people we're in closer contact with like relatives as we're more likely to shake hands, hug, kiss, etc.
I don't know why the number 6 was decided on though, in my opinion as long the people meeting are from only 2 households it shouldn't really matter whether it's 6, 8 or 10.
Annoyingly if I was living in Scotland my grandson wouldn't count as one of the 6.

As competent as usual then.

Saftey inside the stadium is one thing. I'm sure there's a calculation that minimises any risk of contagion (since fans will be technically outdoors and in designated, socially distanced areas).

There's another aspect to this, however.

Stadium access presents greater challenges, given the multiplicity of transmission points, from turnstiles to handrails, to bathroom facilities (if open), to food and drink provision (which is all hand to mouth, perhaps with alcohol thrown into the mix). Then there are ticket offices. The list goes on.

I would be surprised if this government got it right.

I've been trying to get a test all weekend and this morning without any luck.

Tried again today and after still not getting anywhere on the website I phoned 119 as my sons school won't let him back without a test.

40 minutes on hold, then another 15 giving the woman all my details just to be told there is no tests centres near me and no postal test available.....

He has a cough that's come on over th last 24hrs but again I think it's from the cold everyone in the house has had but the school is adamant without a test he's not allowed back.

Today is the 5th day after he was sent home from school so I don't think he can be tested from tomorrow anyway 🤷‍♂️

Presumably it's possible to suffer from a cold and Covid at the same time,

Presumably it's possible to suffer from a cold and Covid at the same time,
I'd guess so but if I'm unable to get a test what happens in a couple of weeks when he has another cold or sore throat will it be another 14 days off school for him 🤷‍♂️

If I can't get him a test and he's now off school for 14 days should his sisters both self isolate from work/college for the next 14 days, without a positive test in the house their work will not pay them and they have bills to pay.

They probably wouldn't be paid even with a positive test in the house but where does the self isolating end?

Our local secondary school ran out of tests last week, I assume yours did too. Positive test results at my son’s school, but not the whole year bubble isolating, just those in classes with the positive party. Other kids have had tests but currently been waiting over 5 days for a result.

Our local secondary school ran out of tests last week, I assume yours did too. Positive test results at my son’s school, but not the whole year bubble isolating, just those in classes with the positive party. Other kids have had tests but currently been waiting over 5 days for a result.
The schools down here don't test, they said to go onto the government website.

Unfortunately there's no test centres I can take him to and none online, I'll try again at 8pm I guess.

Apparently the moon shot testing won't be covered by the NHS, you'll have to pay yourself.

Sincerely hope it's better than the current situation if so.

Well, Boris certainly didn't make that clear when it was first mentioned the other week. I may have misremembered it, but I thought he said this was a possible way for us to have a normal Xmas.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom