Testing Not Going to Plan - Anyone Else Tried?

Arrange a test is a complete ballache, my mother has been trying to request a test for the last few days but the website kept crashing.

She then couldn't get through to the helpline, after just over two hours she finally got through only for them to say they'd have to call her back.

They finally called her back today and said ideally she needed to be tested within the first three days of feeling ill 🤷‍♂️, in an ideal scenario where you can get a test that would be fine but she couldn't get one.

They've said they'll post one out which will take a few days to arrive by post by which time they said it probably won't be worth doing the test anyway.

Fortunately my mum is feeling a bit better today after a week of being ill in bed.

They really need to streamline the testing process.

For those of you that have been tested, is the procedure so eye wateringly unpleasant as this video makes out?

As I can imagine that some of those who’ve had the home testing kits posted to them will struggle to get enough virus particles for an accurate sample if this deep a swabbing is required :eek:

For those of you that have been tested, is the procedure so eye wateringly unpleasant as this video makes out?

As I can imagine that some of those who’ve had the home testing kits posted to them will struggle to get enough virus particles for an accurate sample if this deep a swabbing is required
Not just home testing as it seems that the offer of having it done for you in a test centre doesn't actually exist. It's certainly not nice & I did touch on this in post #18. Also the instructions posted by @starfarer in post #21 don't tell you swab both nostrils, I didn't. :(

As I've said, they banged on enough about bad tests being worse than no test when trying to justify the pitifully low level of testing & only of hospital patients. Creating a "test centre" that does nothing more than hand out the kit while you DIY in the car seems largely pointless.

I suspect you're right in that a large number of tests will potentially return false negatives simply due to the poor administration by the user. Maybe that video should be sent to all those booking tests?

I am getting the home test done soon. Just seen the video. Eeek!! :D

1589733830665.png

Attachments

• 1589733731067.png
    1589733731067.png
    202.7 KB · Views: 47
Well the test in the post never arrived and my mum is fortunately over the virus and well enough to go back to work after isolating for 14 days.

I wonder if the test was even posted.

Well the test in the post never arrived and my mum is fortunately over the virus and well enough to go back to work after isolating for 14 days.

I wonder if the test was even posted.

I'm sure they probably still counted it as a completed test in the stats.

That is a concern. Some posts will get lost in the post. Some people will receive the test kit and after reading the instructions will not go through with it. They should only count tests after they are returned.

That is a concern. Some posts will get lost in the post. Some people will receive the test kit and after reading the instructions will not go through with it. They should only count tests after they are returned.

The other issue is those tests incorrectly self-administered. If even the drive though “testing stations” are no more than people handing out the test, to be self-administered in the car, what’s the point?

Tests performed by trained medical staff are difficult enough (according to my other half), and they still only have a 70% accuracy. I’m not sure how we’re expected to have valid R rates with such inconsistent testing protocol.

Rather concerning indeed how many people might be getting false negative results from these PCR swabs which are only 70% accurate even when conducted by a medical professional, let alone those self administered either in car at a test centre or in their own homes.

Last edited:
We had a test done today. There was a drive in test centre opposite somewhere we had to go to so we popped in.

All very civilised. The people were very halpful.

Yes, we were both dry heaving during the whole process. It must have sounded like we were smuggling seals in the boot of the car :)

Test results due tomorrow.

We had a test done today. There was a drive in test centre opposite somewhere we had to go to so we popped in.

All very civilised. The people were very halpful.

Yes, we were both dry heaving during the whole process. It must have sounded like we were smuggling seals in the boot of the car :)

Test results due tomorrow.
I gag on my toothbrush (I have a seriously sensitive gag reflex) so I'd probably sound equally awful!!

I gag on my toothbrush (I have a seriously sensitive gag reflex) so I'd probably sound equally awful!!

I gag spitting toothpaste out so I'm pretty over the top with gagging :)

At least it is all lubed up when you pop it up your nose. You use the same swab. Eww!

Balls!

Your coronavirus test result is unclear. You’ll need to get another test.

But apparently I'm pregnant and overdue an oil change :)

Last edited:
If testing is the way to control things why are all the mobile testing units packing up, especially now when I'd have thought they would be more essential than over the summer?

There were two within easy reach of us but now we would have to drive up to Newcastle or down to Hartlepool for a test :(

I had to go through this process earlier this week. The website to book a test is pretty useless indicating that no slots were available to me in my local area. Eventually phoned them and got booked into a mobile test centre some 4 miles away. From test to result coming through via text and email took a little under 19 hours. Result: Negative.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom