Quantcast

Testing Not Going to Plan - Anyone Else Tried?

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
As I deliver meds to care homes I'm considered an "essential worker". Over the last couple of days I've had a bit of an intermittent cough/sore throat. So in the brave new world of "ramped up capacity", thought I'd apply for a test. Went online (Apply for a coronavirus test) & registered easily enough & received a booking code by text shortly afterwards. Followed the link & entered all my details & then postcode to select my nearest centre. Bearing in mind I drove past one yesterday 10 miles away, the nearest option I'm offered is 50 miles away. Now driving an average of 120 miles a day for work, I really don't want to be adding another 100. But then thought maybe there's one available tomorrow. The list of centres is accompanied by how many tests they have available in the next 5 days, this one has 24. Click through & nothing available today, nothing available tomorrow, nothing available in the next seven days never mind five. Try two more centres on the list & the same story, "x number avaible in the next five days" but nothing actually bookable.

Anyone had a better experience?

Oh & the site has a feedback facility so thought I'd report it. You can't leave feedback unless you've booked a test. :facepalm:

Edit
Just tried one 100 miles away with supposedly 144 slots available but still nothing actually bookable. :(

Last edited:

tickedon

I'm also eligible for a test due to my job. Out of interest, I got myself a code to book, but never actually got tested. There were plenty of test centres available within a 30 minute drive, and appointments available the next day (and the following days). I could have more or less whatever time I wanted. But I do live in London, so perhaps that helps.

Was very easy and seemed a pretty good setup to be honest...

richp007

Distinguished Member
Thanks but I think I know the difference between the next nearest town & one 50 miles away.
There have been reports of this type of problem, people expected to drive for an hour each way to get a test. Was highlighted initially by NHS staff who were expected to do so even though they were working 12 hour shifts under extreme conditions.

I thought though it was getting ironed out, due to these complaints. Not yet then everywhere by the looks of your example.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
There have been reports of this type of problem, people expected to drive for an hour each way to get a test. Was highlighted initially by NHS staff who were expected to do so even though they were working 12 hour shifts under extreme conditions.

I thought though it was getting ironed out, due to these complaints. Not yet then everywhere by the looks of your example.
Apparently it's not restricted access so maybe just no capacity. Which seems out of step with the message we've been receiving daily for the last week or so about how capacity exceeds current demand.

Looks like the booking web site simply isn't updating as I've just gone on again & the same number of available tests is being reported for all sites as it was two hours ago.

Last edited:

richp007

Distinguished Member
That's not good.

Is there no way you can contact someone other than booking a test and giving feedback after? I'd have thought there would have been.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Is there no way you can contact someone other than booking a test and giving feedback after
Dug around & found a General Feedback option so used that. But previous experience of Government sites suggests that's probably a waste of time & won't be seen by anyone relevant.

Last edited:

richp007

Distinguished Member
Dug around & found a General Feedback option so used that. But previous experience of Government sites suggests that's probably a waste of time & won't be seen by anyone relevant.
Let us know what they say. Might be helpful to others here too.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Well I left the site open & retried a few times & the local centre has just popped up with actual availability tomorrow, so I'm in. :)

Hopefully this was just a glitch & not typical for others. I'll update with what actually happens & how long it takes to get the result.

Last edited:

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
Hopefully your test goes better than the local reports coming out of these centres 🤞

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Hopefully your test goes better than the local reports coming out of these centres
I'm supposedly going to be offered the choice of DIY or letting someone else shove a swab up my nose, we'll see. This one's been up & running for a fortnight now so hopefully is running a bit smoother.

Watch this space...!

Not sure that Tweet can be relied upon. The centre I was originally offered was Thetford, which is 30 miles/half hour from Norwich rather than the hour's drive the Tweet claims. There is also one for NHS staff in Norwich which may now have been opened up to others:

That article is dated 9th April & the Tweet 28th.

Last edited:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Just back from the test centre (Ipswich Park & Ride). No significant queuing & well organised. DIY the only option though, which is disappointing given the scope for false negatives that introduces. I seem to recall a mantra that the only thing worse than no test was a bad test?

Result in 2-3 days supposedly, so we'll see.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Well hopefully you don't have it! But let us know - if you're happy to of course.

lee667

My wife works in a Dr's surgery. Someone was sent home the start of the week due to displaying symptoms. If she or the person who was sent home were to book an online test they'd be directed to a test centre miles away, if her work did the booking then the test would be done at the local hospital.

starfarer

When I first tried to book, nearest option was Gatwick (80 miles round trip). I tried again around midnight and managed to get one by North Greenwich.

starfarer

Back home from test which was booked for 15:30 but got there 20 early. It was quiet on North Greenwich so in/out within 30hr. Doing everything while sitting inside car was not very comfortable but think mine went well. Attached is pdf guide handed with test kits on how to take sample if anyone is interested.

Attachments

starfarer

Same here with -ve for both of us. Few all night coughings & sore throat are nothing to worry about ;).

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
Sounds like testing is very much a mixed bag judging by these posts in other threads...

Regarding the whole 100k tests a day by the 30th April PR disaster.

I had my test on the 28th April. I got my result yesterday - negative fortunately. 11 days after I had it done!
Perhaps yours was one of the 50,000 samples which was jetted over to USA for analysis

Finally had the first visit this morning, rather than Tuesday before last, which never happened. It is apparently a sh*t show with a huge shortage of testing kits. Even today the health visitor (a phlebotomist) was unable to do bloods because the right PPE hadn't been delivered. So just the self-swabbing of throat and nostrils.

Anyway I should be expecting weekly visits.

The consent form ...

View attachment 1296517
Hopefully your results come back a tad quicker!

domtheone

Distinguished Member
If we’re doing 100K a day how long before the testing is opened up to the general public...

Latest News

CES 2021 to go ahead 'in person'
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience
  • By Andy Bassett