testing a dlp projector

E

eyeoforion

just wondered what i should do to tests drive a dlp projector in a dealers demo to ensure that i am not susceptible to the rainbow effect. Is there any particular video sequence which will bring it out for me to see???

eyeoforion said:
just wondered what i should do to tests drive a dlp projector in a dealers demo to ensure that i am not susceptible to the rainbow effect. Is there any particular video sequence which will bring it out for me to see???

Yep. Take Starwars EP2 DVD along and enter the THX menu screen and navigate to the aspect ratio images of a black background and a white circle in the middle. Move your eyes a bit. If you see rainbows then your susceptible.

It has to be said that I do see them using this techique but never see them in an actual movie.

cyberheater said:
Yep. Take Starwars EP2 DVD along and enter the THX menu screen and navigate to the aspect ratio images of a black background and a white circle in the middle. Move your eyes a bit. If you see rainbows then your susceptible.

It has to be said that I do see them using this techique but never see them in an actual movie.

Actively looking for rainbows in this way will almost guarantee that anyone will see them. As you say you don't see them when watching films which is what is important. I would recommend just watching some material that you are familiar with and don't try to force youself to see rainbows.

If DLP doesn't agree with you then I would think it would be obvious without having to make yourself have problems with it. Personally I occassionally catch a glimpse of a rainbow during a dark scence but other than that I never have a problem.

metallic said:
Actively looking for rainbows in this way will almost guarantee that anyone will see them. As you say you don't see them when watching films which is what is important. I would recommend just watching some material that you are familiar with and don't try to force youself to see rainbows.

If DLP doesn't agree with you then I would think it would be obvious without having to make yourself have problems with it. Personally I occassionally catch a glimpse of a rainbow during a dark scence but other than that I never have a problem.

Yep. I totally agree with you.

As a word of caution I spent 2 hrs looking at a HC3000 DLP machine a while back in a dealers demo room. I took along all my best rainbow generating DVDs but after 2 hrs I'd probably counted no more than 2 or 3 rainbows in all that time. It was a convicing enough demo for me to buy the DLP machine there and then, I went away a happy man, however that all changed after I viewed it in my own cinema room.

The dealer had a 100 inch firehawk I seem to recall and the room had a small amount of ambient light permeating around the edges of the blinds.

Once I set up the projector at home in my bat cave with an 80 inch screen with 1.4 gain, the rainbows were almost continuous. I had to return the projector a week later at a loss of £150 :thumbsdow

The only solution really is to try to demo a DLP machine at a dealers with a set-up a close as possible to your own.... no easy task. Or try to negotiate a minimal restocking fee before hand before parting with your money.

I will still continue to look at DLP machines in the future but only very cautiously and would certainly never buy one without a thorough demo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom