tested the 37pf9986

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Toine, Nov 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Toine

Toine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Today i had a chance to test the 37pf9986.
    I must say i was really dissapointed.

I connected a denon dvd-2910 through DVI connection.
    When i switched tot 720P (wich is the best as far as i know) i got pretty large black bars around the picture. So it´s useless in my opinion.
    I wouldn´t take 1080i at all. So even more useless.

I connected a settopbox (dreambox) through component (i think 576i), again no picture....

You also have to switch off a lot of picture enhancement features to get no artifacts in the picture. If you use for example Pixelplus 2, the picture is terrible.

And i was really shocked with the blacklevel. It´s really far away from black. It´s more light grey then black. And in dark scenes you couldn´t see any detail at all.

Ok, the ambilight looks cool, but when you have a viewing angle from about 135 degrees or more, you look straight in the lamp. And i wonder if you like the ambilight still after a few years.

Really very dissapointed after all the good reviews i´ve seen here, in fact, I can´t understand them at all. Maybe it makes a difference that i´m not critisising my own TV, and haven´t spent my hard earned money on it?

For me it´s a really no go.

Just my opinion.....

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I would look at the Sharp 37" 'G' series, execellent but then that is what I bought in the end!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Enough said....

3. ANTHONYVEE

ANTHONYVEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can you give me some more insight to the quality of the SHARP picture ?
    I was looking for the 32" VERSION and foudn the image not to run smootly. maybe it was the source..

Thanks

4. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    So what your saying is - you were not competent enough to get the set working with various inputs?

And you call the set useless.

With the single point about the disappointing black level performance (with which I do agree) I think you are way off the mark.

Who is going to watch from 135 degrees, for a start?

Pictures from an ordinary Freeview box are fantastic with the right material - by which I mean high quality and not compressed to ridiculous levels.

5. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to make a couple of points about the review, having lived comfortably with the 37PF9986 for a few weeks now. You should have got a picture at 1080i. I watch all my movies at 1080i using a Denon DVD-1910 and have had no problems. The black bars at 720p is a known issue (it is giving a 1280x720 picture in its most pure form and on a 1366x768 panel is bound to produce bars, also this is specified by Philips in the manual), it looks great but many people get bugged by losing part of the picture, which is why personally I have been using 1080i instead. I also have to ask whether this is your first experience of viewing a large LCD TV? Or have you viewed others?
    I ask this because if you were viewing from close-up, you may well have had a bad experience - no LCD TV looks good if you get too close to it - they are a mess of pixels, it is the nature of the beast. A 37" set needs an absolute minimum of 8 feet viewing distance before the picture comes together (preferably 9 or more feet). These panels are designed to create great pictures at realistic viewing distances (it could be called an "optical illusion" if you like - they are designed to fool the eye, but when used as designed can produce excellent pictures. Black level is a known issue with LCD TVs and effects ALL makes.