1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tested some sub woofers, comments?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by majak, Jan 17, 2004.

1. majak

majak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Had a listening at some sub woofers today. It struck me that it's really hard to find a sub that gives boom you want for movies and the fast bass you want for the music. Anyone got suggestions for other ones to test, I'm going to listen to Infinity Kappa and then I'll probably decide...

When I did the test I listened to missy elliot for music, alot of bass there :D
    For movies I watched different movies, with "bassy" scenes, here are my impressions (The setup of the subs where made by the store clerks)

REL Quake (Together with Dynaudio 42)
    Music: Very good, fast and deep.
    Movie: Doesn't produce the kind of rumbeling bass that I'd like, instead it's rather sharp, which in my opinion doesn't sound good for cinema.

MJ Accoustics PRO 50 (Together with Dynaudio 42)
    Music: Even better than the REL
    Movies: Same problem as REL.

Kef PSW-2500 (Together with Dynaudio 42)
    Music: Too slow for missy, doesn't keep up, I listened to it after the REL and the MJ, it just doesn't play in the same league...
    Movie: This is more like, it huffs and puffs and blows you away, at least compared to MJ and Quake. This is the kind of sound I want for movies...

Canton Ergo AS 1.2 SC (With some Canton wall mounts)
    Music: It's pretty good for a 10" reflex, I think it played pretty well with missy,
    Movies: Yet again it's pretty good, doesn't have the sharp bass, it's not as rumbeling as the Kef, but it's good.

Audio vector C-Sub (With some Audio vector wall mounts)
    Music: Good, nearly as good as the Rel and MJ Acoustic, but it isn't as fast in my opinion, but it's very close.
    Movies: Somewhat better than Rel and MJ, but yet again, the bass is to sharp.

My current choices?
    Allround: Canton
    Music: Ausio vector, because of the better looks than Rel and MJ.
    Movies: Kef.

Comments suggestions, disagreements? Throw it at me! :clap:

/Tomas

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unfortunately you cannot have fast bass, deep bass and cheap bass especially in a compact box.

Deep bass that is accurate enough for music as well as explosions on films is expensive to engineer, more so if a compact box is required.

Many of us on this forum have gone the SVS route and bought directly from the American manufacturer. This has given us both bass which is fast enough for music and deep enough to rattle most houses at a fairly competitive price.

The remaining potential problem which hasn't been overcome by SVS is size as the SVS subs are big

3. majak

majak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the comment Ian, yes it became obvious for me today that you can't have it both, although I think the Canton did a nice try. I'm kind of hoping on the Infinity Kappa, since it has a somewhat different composition than the other ones. As I have understood it, it has a slave element and an active element. Because my wallet wouldn't like the size of a SV, nor my girlfriend ;-)

/Tomas

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It might be worth demoing something more expensive than you want to buy just to see how bass should/can sound. Try some of the big Velodynes, M&K's REL's etc.

I guess I'm a little worried that, from your descriptions, the subs that were playing deeper such as the KEF might not actually be doing it very well i.e. like the bass in a nightclub, they shake the room but aren't very defined (which is why they struggle to play music well). A decent sub should play bass both deeply and cleanly.

Matt.

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If there are any left, you could probably get an XLS200 shipped to Sweden for about £310-320. I'm sure that would outperform everything on your list by a fair margin. It falls somewhere between a B&W ASW675 and REL's Q200E (much closer to the latter though).

The main issue would be servicing, but in the rare circumstance that something might go wrong it should be relatively easy to install replacement parts yourself.

MuFu.

6. dubai2000

dubai2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I would like to inform everybody that SVS is planning to introduce more room friendly subs later this year. They aren't quite ready yet to mention those on their website, but keep your eyes open.
    BTW: I was daring enough and ordered a PB2-ISD and I can say that it I am more than happy (using it in a music only setup).
    Wolfram

7. majak

majak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt:
    I'm going to do a demo on a Infinity Kappa, which is more expensive than planned, but still affordable, the sizeand price of that one is really as far as I wanna reach at the moment...

Mufu:
    I've heard someone else talking about the BK... do they have a web-site? I'll might have a look if someone in Sweden has a demo..

Dubai: where did you order if? from US? whatabout the customs? isn't that expensive?

8. dubai2000

dubai2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    majak,

yes, I got it from the US. Unfortunately shipping and customs had to be paid extra, but I don't regret it for a second. Just before I got the SVS, I had the chance to listen to a Revel B-15. Certainly a great product, but when comparing the same CD tracks at home, I couldn't find any inferiority of the SVS. Granted, the combo with the Revel was different, but I trust my ears enough to notice significant differences. When the SVS arrived it blew away my REL Stadium II. The bass was much cleaner and deeper. I was kind of worried about ordering without being able to give the sub a listen, but I am really glad I dared 'to jump'. This was without any doubt an excellent addition to my audio gear and when the new micro subs will come out, I'll surely get one for my study:D .
    Wolfram

9. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    http://www.bkelec.com/

They're a manufacturer/designer so don't sell through retail channels. Occasionally they have these "bargain corner" subs for sale which offer ridiculous value for money as they completely cut out out the middleman, advertising etc and sell with a very low margin to boot. You'd probably struggle to build one yourself for the same price. Similar subs retail for £600-850.

Unfortunately, because they have no dealers you won't be able to get a demo. It's still an option worth considering, IMHO.

MuFu.