tested my 5100 over the weekend

ROne

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, bought the pioneer 5100 for doing minor DVD runs of VHS copies, as a supplement to our true authoring suite (Pinnacle dc1000 + matrox RTX 100.)

(I am not using this system for off-air recording.)

Several things I've found out:

1) Editing, ie cutting material out on the hard-drive is never seamless. Even with the "seamless" switch on there is still a breif pause.

2) It will only clone material (at high speed) when you adhere to certain restrictions. If you want to copy footage from the hard drive in the same bit rate to DVD-R it will run at high speed. If you change the bit rate it has to recompress.

3) I have not yet found a perfect way of "cloning" material from a authored DVD-R into the system at high speed. You can produce a back up copy - which will allow you to run further copies but this is not the same has having a archived version available on the hard drive.

4) You can also use "one-touch-copy" but this doesn't clone, it re-compressess the picture to the desired bit-rate in normal speed. This is less than ideal because you are lowering the quality.

5) I am going to try authoring to DVD-RW and then undo finalize the disc to see if I can then copy the title onto the hard drive using the copy list. (although I don't think this will work as i'm sure it says in the manual you can't undo titles that weren't initialised on this machine.)

hi

I'm interested in the same machine but I'd like to transfer my digital still photos to the HDD as it has a JPeg viewer. Do you know how to do that?

I'm interested in the same machine but I'd like to transfer my digital still photos to the HDD as it has a JPeg viewer. Do you know how to do that?
Only DVD-RAM machines can do this - the Panasonic HS2 and Panasonic E100 (as well as the non-HDD Panasonic E60/E65).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom