1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Test tones

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Me, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was just wondering how many people set the speaker levels from the amp/reciever test tones or from test disks. Strictly speaking which is correct. Does the amp tones give the most accurate output or should you always set levels from the dvd player running a test disk, hence this being the source?
    My test disks always seem to give me different readings from the tone generated by the amp.
    Mark

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Doesnt really matter which one is correct just as long as all speakers are set equal. Youll never listen to a movie/music at reference levels anyway. But if you really want to know, if your equipment is THX certified (Processor/Amp) then go for the processors test tone. If they are not THX certified then use the DVD's. Ive set mine up using the processors test tone but then altered each channel by ear. For me the surround channels are never high enough. The LFE channel never gives a steady reading and the front left/right channels are never centered due to room lay out. So as you can see at the end of the day unless you have perfect conditions your never going to get it perfect using a DB meter.