1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Test Scene Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by mr_fantazmo, Jun 5, 2002.

1. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, hope every one had a good jubilee weekend, i took time out to watch a few films and just had to share some classic scenes in case people out there are interested

Firstly i watched apocolipse now redux and if anyone is looking for a scene to test out some kit i suggest the helicopter attack sequence, it is absolutely immense :eek: my ears were actually ringing it was so loud and it just made the hairs on my back stand up on end!! It's just a prime example of an old film that has had the sound perfectly re mastered, (shame its a bit long!!)

My second reccomendation is a scene from Swordfish, i quite liked the film as it was a no nonsense action film that caught my attention from the start, the scene im reffering too is the ball bearing explosion right at the beggining, it just absolutely amazed me, it really shows the sound depth as you hear ball bearings whizz past your head, its absolutely fantastic!!

By the way cheers for the advice from my previous post about the volume level on my marantz amp, it seems that i only have it up to +5 when watching dvds whearas when i watch ntl its way way lower, could this be because i'm using coaxial instead of optical? the dvd player is the marantz 4100 ose, any help? cheers anyway and do watch those 2 films, it'd be a crime not to!!

2. 7 of 9

7 of 9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree with everything u said except ur first recommendation i dont know why every one keeps recommandig this film i hate the film and the dvd.
    and there no is difference sound quality wise beetween coaxial or optical.

3. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Differences between coax and optical (and denial of the existance thereof) are an endless source of debate (like DD v DTS). If you want to know what's already been said I should do a search in the General Hardware forum, and maybe Amps & Receivers. You could try starting your own thread and watching the fun though. I don't think I'm sticking my neck out by saying that you're unlikely to notice volume variations between the two.

Recommendations:
    Saving Private Ryan - The beach assault. Long though.
    The opening montage of Magnolia with the Aimee Mann song.
    The Matrix - Lobby assault -> Helicopter rescue

4. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Apart from various scenes in Saving Private Ryan DTS, I always check these out:

Pod race in Phantom Menace
    Opening sequence in Toy Story 2
    Opening sequence in Atlantis DTS
    Opening sequence in Titan A.E DTS
    The bunker sequence in The Thin Red Line DTS

btw, I have to agree with 7 of 9, Apoc Now is one of the most overrated films in history (just my opinion of course).

5. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I too got out a few dvd's that hadn't seen the light of day for awhile over the jubilee...

The Fugative - forgot how good this sounded, some scenes are very atmospheric, drawing you right into the movie.

Crimson Tide - IMHO probably the best of the Simpson & Bruckheimer action flicks, good sound which isn't overdone like alot of the more recent action movies.

Contact - one of my first dvd's but still one of the best for sound, top quality from start to finish, opening sequence is a great demo.

Out Of Sight - very under rated movie IMHO, sound is pretty good but I like it more for it's soundtrack/music (most of which done by my fellow countryman David Holmes) it complements the film perfectly.

I enjoyed them all greatly and am currently pulling out a few more titles for this weekend...:)

Iain.

p.s Apocolipse Now is more than a film... it's an experience!!! :cool: