Quantcast

Test material to take to stores

mushroomkid

On the market for a new OLED

It's between the gz950, C9, B9, B8 or Phillips 803

Want to test out PQ, rather than watch the demo screen they have broadcasting

What's the best sort of material to take, to test PQ, near black quality, tinting etc?

gibbsy

Hopefully you're not going to Currys or JL as they will not let you bring your own material or equipment into the store. Currys told me it was a health and safety issue. I went to my local AudioT to look at a Panasonic FZ802 but just took a couple of blu rays that I knew well to see how the TV handled them. Not scientific but I know I've made the right decision. There's nothing to guarantee that the TV you buy will be anything like what you see in the store such is the lottery of OLED panels. I think you can gain more information off the owners forums on here.

sagaris99

Hopefully you're not going to Currys or JL as they will not let you bring your own material or equipment into the store. Currys told me it was a health and safety issue. I went to my local AudioT to look at a Panasonic FZ802 but just took a couple of blu rays that I knew well to see how the TV handled them. Not scientific but I know I've made the right decision. There's nothing to guarantee that the TV you buy will be anything like what you see in the store such is the lottery of OLED panels. I think you can gain more information off the owners forums on here.
Can’t say I would agree on this one
Been into numerous JLs and they were more than happy to leave you to play your own content. Reps may have different views, but in my experience the LG and Pana reps are actually interested to see what their tv does with it, assuming it’s high quality stuff

What a crap excuse from curry’s though - not surprising

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Blue Planet 2 - the dark underwater scenes are a torture test for OLEDs.

baba850r

Can safely say John Lewis in Glasgow couldn’t be more helpful the Panasonic and Sony reps and offered the chance to come back back with own material and happy to play about with the sets as I choose.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I think if the demo materials are on a USB stick, it shouldn't be a problem but if its a 4K UHD disc / Blu-ray, I am not sure if the staff would feel comfortable with moving the player around. Ultimately its down to the staffs and the store policy.