Tesla reliability

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by lovegroova, Oct 26, 2017.

1. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
  2. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,860
    Ooh, you naughty boy :devil::D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +988
    @lovegroova You've missed this report too ;)

10 Least Reliable Cars

I've done 8000 miles in the X now since March, to say its the best car I've ever owned is an understatement.

If we had the cash available we would get a second X for my wife now, and I've never ever entertained the thought of having two identical cars in the family before, instead we'll just have to make doe with the 3....when ever RHD deliveries start, failing that a 3 year old P85/90D S - come on deprecation do your magic. Having driven/sat in nearly over a dozen different Teslas both S/X, various specs I'll have no problems buying a used one :).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  4. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    Looks like you were one of the lucky 52.4%.

Then again, it looks like you're being economical with the facts. You've done 8,000 miles in two Model X's since March.

5. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +988
    Actually its 3 Xs:

First our new 60D X, I did 3500 miles with no issues till someone crashed into me and killed it.

Second was a hire car, brand new with barely 100 miles on the clock, I did another 3500 miles in it, again no issues.

Finally our current new 75D, now covered 1000 miles in less than 3 weeks, again no issues.

If your working on the fact Tesla cannot build reliable cars than having experienced 3 different cars with no issues I would say is pretty good argument against that....unlike my previous BMW 335i, that left me stranded on the side of the road, leaked oil over the drive not once, but twice, and when I sold it was still lossing oil some where needing regular top ups, oh and dont forget the rattling turbo, and leaking radiator.

6. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,860
    "Trouble spots: Body hardware, paint and trim, climate system
    The electric-powered Model X is more showy than practical."

7. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +988
    Actually I would say its showy AND practical, absolutely love ours.

With the latest software update even our cheapest, slowest X is quicker to 60 than a £140k+ 5.0l supercharged Range Rover. Yet it has enough boot space to empty a garage of rubbish(with the child seat still in place), and carry 6 people in comfort. I absolutely love ours, there isnt any other car on the market that am remotely interested in owning :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    So you've barely had them any length of time and are commenting on their reliability. That (as usual) makes little to no sense.

Then again, it's not like you'd actually be honest and report faults to us even if you did have any.

Are you saying that the Tesla owners who responded to the survey are lying?

9. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,166
    @gangzoom - I think you kind of swallowed that all the way to the rod. Like all these surveys there are a large number of owners without issues. As pointed out you have had three and in practical terms haven’t driven each of them that far. Many who responded to the survey would report that (half or whatever it was) and the rest would report faults. Statistics are compiled and they should reflect the masses - not you or any other individual.

You can be as delighted as you like with your Tesla as can anybody else. Deciding a survey of many owners is ‘wrong’ based on your experience is a trap many owners of many things fall into IME.

Range Rovers for example are generally reported as being unreliable. Many owners though report they have never had a problem. They have to if you think about it or the survey would report 100% issues.

Even if your car had broken down you could fit that stuff from the garage in it (unless the tailgate was stuck closed I suppose) - it isn’t really relevant to this thread?

Anyhoo I am not surprised if bits are falling off more than few of these - I have had a look at them and cannot see the quality attachments of other premium brands - many many US cars have suffered this and historically it is why they are usually a bit cheaper and good value. Using expensive materials like aluminium in the body and carbon fibre all over the place certainly jacks up the cost. It doesn’t necessarily make a premium car IMHO if the nice bits attached to it fall off or wear and look tatty quicker than other premium brands.

10. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +988
    Absolutely not there are a few individuals who have rejected cars on the Tesla facebook group due to organe peeling/not perfect panel gaps......If these are the kind of the things that matter to you great.

Consumer Reports said in 2016 the S class was the least reliable luxury car on the market.....really??

The Most and Least Reliable Cars by Class

Equally the WhatCar reports puts the Nissan just above Tesla/LandRover.....I've owned 5 Nissans inthe past, oldest was 12 years old, none have ever left me stranded by the side of the road, unlike BMW.
    LandRover is also below Tesla, given how easy to build and how long LandRover has been making cars surely thats much more worthy of comment?

So why not start another post/topic about how awful LandRover reliability is? Or are you just prejudiced against a certain brand :).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  11. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +988
    I would like to know the relevance of this thread to anything. If its about reliability surely we should also be talking about Nissan/LandRover who both have UK factories and employ UK staff. So any failures in reliability might effect sales which would be bad for the UK.

But I suspect the OP has no real interest in realibilty but just doesnt like a certain brand....funny how if I start a post praising a certain brand how good their car is that isnt allowed, but a post that picks out one manufacture in the title but ignores realibilty of other brands is fine.

12. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,295
    Mod Comment:

Incorrect, it isn’t a case of “not being allowed” it is without question a case of you evangelising your love for Tesla in threads where it was inappropriate, caused annoyance for many fellow members judging by the volume of reported posts and created extra work for the Moderators.

FWIW a good friend of mine has owned upwards of 15 supercars and rates his current RR Sport SVR as easily the worst of the bunch, so he has ordered a new Mercedes GTC

13. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    I posted for the sake of some balance.

All we hear is how Tesla make the best cars ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever...

Not something we hear constantly about any other brand.

As I've told you many times, I like Tesla as a brand and what they are doing is great. But on a forum it's very important that both the good and the bad are pointed out.

A few seconds googling the owners forums reveals that many owners have suffered from things breaking. They also report that Tesla has fixed most of it under warranty without quibbling, which is excellent.

14. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,860
    There is absolutely no point discussing Land Rover reliability in an electric car sub forum. That would be silly. It was nice to see the Leaf fare so well, and interesting that one of the biggest issues was possibly paint, something I and another owner on here have already encountered. Biggest surprise for me was how badly Renault did, I would have assumed it would have been up there with Nissan. I assume Hyundai hasn't been in the electric market long enough to feature, which is a shame.

15. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +988
    I convinced my in-laws to get a Zoe, if it wasn't for the arrival of their first grand child I'm sure I would be on their black list. They only do 5000 miles a year in it, its been off the road twice and despite multiple trips to the dealer the heating still doesn't work 50% of the time. The only saving grace is the £156/month cost.

They are likely to get a 40kWh Leaf next.

The reliability of Jaguar/LandRover will be interesting to see as the iPace is the first proper rival product to go head to head against Tesla both interms of price/range/performance and should be out next year (2018). As I understand it the iPace isn't actually been built by Jaguar (which is probably a good thing).

The next car we are going to buy will be in 2019/20 when my wifes Lexus is 5 years old. Though we have a Model 3 reservation if a better product comes along I'll happily cancel the order. Though concerns about reliability of Tesla is simply non existent for me as a current owner, the fact the X even exists is amazing, the 3 is like building a pedal bike in comparison.

What I really get excited about is Jap cars, and the prospect of an EV with the performance of Tesla, but the reliability of a Nissan (which apparently is just as bad as Tesla according to OPs report) is quite inciting. Nothing has been announced by Infiniti but we know it's coming, it'll have to be a damn good car for me to consider swapping out of the X, but I still cannot wait.

This Infiniti EV defies all logic, but you will want it anyway

16. Alan CD

Alan CD
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,577
    Ownership plays a large part in this discussion. It's quite understandable that an owner forking out a large sum of money for a new car would not like to hear how bad the 'love of their life' has fared in a survey.

17. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,860
    I think he's missing the point that The Leaf does very well in the reliability stakes, compared with other EVs. So comparing the overall performance of the Nissan brand (which is poor) with other ICE manufacturers as a mark of EV performance is misleading. Similarly the Zoe performs badly but the Renault brand as a whole is much better. Predicting the reliability of an EV based on the brands overall performance in the reliability stakes is demonstrably flawed. So I would ignore where Tesla comes on that long list and only compare it with other EVs. Similarly I wouldn't try and predict how reliable the iPace will be based on it's parentage.

18. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,860
    That confused me for a minute :) Sorry to hear they have had so much bad luck with the Zoe.

PS, that Infiniti is bonkers, thanks for the link :)

19. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    The performance of Tesla is the same as the performance of the Model S, as that was their only car during the period of the survey.

That's why they have the same 52.4% reliability score.

Nissan's cars perform wildly differently, most are pretty bad, but a few do pretty well (Juke diesel and Leaf for example).

As you say, the best advice is to look into how a car performs, rather than the manufacturer.

Either way, 52.4% is not good at all, especially when you consider the cost of the cars.

20. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +988
    Don't confuse price with reliability, and don't confuse reliability with what makes a good car. Lexus aside virtually every 'expensive' car brand comes out near the bottom of many such 'surveys'. However despite initially enjoying our hybrid Lexus for it's very limited EV experience I now cannot wait to see it go, regardless of how reliable the thing is.

Honda named UK's most reliable used car manufacturer 2015

If you on to any BMW forums your find almost endless discussion about 'extended warranty' but go on to a Nissan/Hona forum and the term 'extended warranty' is hardly ever mentioned.

If you want a car that is 100% reliable and that is your main aim buying any expensive brand is the last thing you should do - a Tesla should be at the bottom of your shopping list. Instead get some thing cheap, easy to maintain and minimum gadgets. Your save money on deprecation too!!

For some that is the aim of motoring, cheapest way to get from A to B. For me I cannot think of anything worse than commuting/driving a dull box on wheels purely based on running costs. The Leaf in many ways fits into that category, but the EV drivetrain actually gives it driving characteristics far beyond what it's design brief is.

If you want cheap/reliable motoring a 40kWh Leaf will be hard to beat, and when the 60kWh version comes out with a 200 mile range there will be little reason to choose a combustion car over one. I'm pretty convinced if Nissan gets the pricing right the 60kWh Leaf will quickly become one of the most popular cars on the road (regardless of the fact its' an EV), as most people don't really care what they drive as long as it get them from A to B for as little cost as possible, and is reliable.

But for me there is much more to driving than simply pure cost, a car has to make you smile and enjoy the journey - regardless how mundane. That's why I love our Tesla so much, I find excuses to take the longer way home, I don't mind been stuck in traffic, if it broke down all the time like my old BMW that would detract from the ownership experience, but so far my ownership experience is nothing but similes, everything.......expect for the suicidal Seat episode :).

[​IMG]

21. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +387
    There's only one person who seems confused here, and it's not me.:rotfl:

22. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,860
    Love the photo of his and hers Teslas GZ :clap: (I hope it's your daughters, amend to his and his if for a son)

23. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +988
    Shes not quite big enough to drive it yet....but I've already taught her the importance of plugging every day :).

[​IMG]

24. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,860
    Aw, so cute :clap:

Confirmed by my teenage daughters :thumbsup:

25. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,295
    And me!

26. its_all_Greek

its_all_Greek
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,345
    Pity really what was and should be an interesting thread topic was just a troll thread targeting one persons passion. Thankfully to some degree saved by other posters.

Although agree with the above and that is cute.

27. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,860
    I think you got that upside down. An Evangelist was taken down a peg or two, and redeemed himself with the cute picture :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  28. its_all_Greek

its_all_Greek
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,345
    edit - deleted

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  29. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,860
    Please leave moderating to the mods, thanks.

30. its_all_Greek

its_all_Greek
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,345
    Apologies i thought your reply was as a member not as a mod.

i will edit it out now.