Tesla Model Y

booyaka

Tesla is also going to be opening it's charger network to all EV's in the near future according to Musk.

I think USA will be the test for that first - Network in UK isn't big enough yet to cope with opening up the Tesla superchargers even with a large price hike.

Teslas one HUGE usp is the charging network currently... Why give that away to other brands??

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
I think USA will be the test for that first - Network in UK isn't big enough yet to cope with opening up the Tesla superchargers even with a large price hike.

Teslas one HUGE usp is the charging network currently... Why give that away to other brands??
I don’t suspect they will give it away, they’ll obviously charge and make money out of it, increasing their profits which will then probably allow them to expand the charging network.

VastGirth

If it was any other company they probably wouldn't give it away at all, and if they did they would charge a very large premium for it. With Musk in charge its a bit more of a wild card though. He has clearly stated they will allow others to use it and I wouldn't be surprised if the charge is the same or only slightly more than Tesla users.

If other cars can use it as easily and closely in price to tesla users then it makes them a LOT more appealing. It was my main reason for going Tesla.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
VW ID4
Wouldn't buy any Jaguar/Land Rover, they are just built cheap, yes the electric side will most likely be 3rd party.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
I-Pace is all 3rd party, it’s built in Austria same factory that builds BMW Z4 by Magna, as such it’s built pretty well.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
If anyone is interested this is the video that made the non tesla EV charging network really seem a "faff"

Here’s another of Harry’s vids I just spotted, 14:30 is when he goes to charge and this was 8 months ago still :-

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
If anyone is interested this is the video that made the non tesla EV charging network really seem a "faff".......

Harry's experience is definitely something that's playing on my mind. I have been watching some videos on the Electric Vehice Man's channel where he talks about the hassle of using the charging networks, and while it's apparently getting better the Tesla network is by all accounts the gold standard...

Yes this video isn’t great, but to be fair is 18 months old and probably more representative of how bad things were back then for non-Tesla owners and it’s not necessarily the same story today and going forward.

I skipped the Jaguar video to the point where he plugs in and fails to use his Polar card, and then proceeds to make something of a "meal" over registering in the app. Insufficient patience to watch more. Bear in mind, whatever the outcome there, you only ever have to do that once; not every time you plug in, and you don't have to do it at the roadside; you can do it beforehand.

Two things:
1: As Thatsnotmynaim says, it's somewhat historic. All new Polar rapid installations will (or should) take a contactless bank card just as the InstaVolt unit does in the later video, and older installations are being upgraded. I believe there is some sort of government directive in play. The Polar unit I'm most likely to use away from home does this; I have seen other EV users do so, without "faff".
2: I have had a Polar SmartCard for three years or so and I have never had it declined. Clearly, I can't say what was wrong with his, but if I had to guess: it's an "Instant" (=PAYG) account rather than a paid membership (Polar Plus) and he didn't have a valid billing/payment method set up.

Sure - simple "plug-and-go" as is the case with Tesla is world class. But use of a contactless bank card, which is increasingly widespread, comes fairly close and in any case - you have to do that with liquid fuel, right? And maybe we will get to a point where the vehicle's VIN is used to identify the bill payer a-la Tesla for other marques, too. This is all a rapidly changing environment.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
....All new Polar rapid installations will (or should) take a contactless bank card just as the InstaVolt unit does in the later video, and older installations are being upgraded. I believe there is some sort of government directive in play....
Anything that’s been installed since spring 2020 is contactless / ‘faff’less :-

I did’t mind some of the older app ones as it gave you a nice central log of your charge sessions and costs.

Since Ecotricity Electric Highway are the majority of m’way chargers and these are all being upgraded right now they’ll all be contactless. Others are rapidly following suit to meet the government directive.

The government has also committed £1.3bn of funding to help accelerate the rollout, I presume also in spring 2020, this is when they also gave tax breaks to EVs - 0% BIK which works well for company car owners and also people who can buy them via salary sacrifice. 2020 was the start but 2021 is when we’ve really started to see it in the flesh, 2022 and the bad videos of yesteryear will be a thing of the past.

Problem is it takes 1 bad video to put people off for years and 15-20 good videos to rectify what the bad video did as 1 good video doesn’t seem to offset the 1 bad video.. It's almost like people believe the bad news more than they believe the good news, even though the ones above were by exactly the same 'trustworthy' person. Problem also is people only tend to shout when things go wrong, they don't tend to sing the praises when they have an uneventful easy charge, it doesn't make good click bait..

Last edited:

raymondo77

I think I'm going to bite the bullet; install a charger, and just deal with the management company on my development when they moan about a cable trailing out to my parking space. So my reliance on the network will only be for longer journeys anyway, which I only really do a handful of times per year. As @LV426 and @Thatsnotmynaim alude to, the network is only ever improving and contactless is starting to become ubiquitous, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Looking forward to mid-November, when I - hopefully - take delivery of my new car. 😃

gangzoom

I'm looking to move to an EV next year. I will have about 40k to spend and the upcoming Model Y seems to check all the boxes, the main one being access to the Tesla charging network. but I also like the fact the standard version is so feature packed.

No one knows when the RHD Ys will hit UK shores. LHD drive cars are only starting to be delivered to Europe, and US demand for the Y is pretty big. At the earliest you are looking at late/end of next year, and even than Tesla will likely to be only shipping the most expensive 'P' Models which I suspect will be £60K+ to maximize profit.

The Model 3 supply is pretty consistent now thought, and £40K will get you an used S, and by next year probably a used X, but who knows whats going on with the 2nd hand market.

ashenfie

I think I'm going to bite the bullet; install a charger, and just deal with the management company on my development when they moan about a cable trailing out to my parking space. So my reliance on the network will only be for longer journeys anyway, which I only really do a handful of times per year. As @LV426 and @Thatsnotmynaim alude to, the network is only ever improving and contactless is starting to become ubiquitous, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Looking forward to mid-November, when I - hopefully - take delivery of my new car. 😃
Might not be the management company you would need to deal with. Why not ask them about having safe installed charge point?

raymondo77

Might not be the management company you would need to deal with. Why not ask them about having safe installed charge point?

It is, and as a development we’re already trying to push them to getting charge points installed. It’s quite the issue here at the moment, and only growing as more residents go electric and start installing their own solutions.

For context, it’s an allocated space in a car park, in a development that the council have not adopted. The management company are responsible for the entire development at this point in time.

Last edited:

ashenfie

It is, and as a development we’re already trying to push them to getting charge points installed. It’s quite the issue here at the moment, and only growing as more residents go electric and start installing their own solutions.

For context, it’s an allocated space in a car park, in a development that the council have not adopted. The management company are responsible for the entire development at this point in time.
I have a similar setup here, so it would be interest toes how. you get on

Panavision

Distinguished Member

Because Tesla have always said that they don't want to create a moat. The goal is to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy. They are happy to license out their technology.

Owners of other vehicles will have to buy an adaptor from Tesla, use the Tesla app to charge, pay a fee to Tesla. More revenues from this will mean more chargers installed. They are not giving it away.

Last edited:

oneman

There is a deadline set by EU, can't remember what it is.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom