Tesla Model Y

VastGirth

I'm looking to move to an EV next year. I will have about 40k to spend and the upcoming Model Y seems to check all the boxes, the main one being access to the Tesla charging network. but I also like the fact the standard version is so feature packed.

I was quite tempted by the Jaguar I pace too (would need to be 2nd hand in this case) , but ive watched a few you tube vids and the non tesla chargers look a right faff, although Im sure this will improve in the future. The interior is much closer to what i am used to, unlike the Tesla.

Anyone else thinking about getting the Model Y? Are there any better alternatives?

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Hyundai Ionic 5 may be a good one to look at. They are really advanced and have the very fast charging. Also public charging (especially on the motorway) is getting much much better, all charge points of Ecotricity will be quickly upgraded by Gridserve (Toddington Harper) by this September to at least 100kw and then most will also receive a 2nd more in depth phase upgrade to 350kw once the planning and infrastructure to them also gets upgraded. One other thing is Tesla have just agreed to open up their network to other makes, although not sure what the terms of this will be yet.

ashenfie

The Ionic 5 is a bucket of batteries for sure that exists today. Sadly its takes a very long time to charge them.

I read the Tesla Y will be around £45K in the UK verses

Basic Ionic 5 £37k
VW ID4. £34K

Plus a shed load of other options. I suspect the prices are going to tumble in the next few years as every car company releases better and better options.

Electric cars more about a companies image (rather than scaled production) and the likes of VW have very deep pockets, there will only be 1 conclusion, it's not the right time to buy in.

Last edited:

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Non-Tesla EV user exclusively since 2017. Public chargers are not a "faff" in my experience. Neither are they as universally unreliable as the odd negative experience might suggest. But I never have (nor intend to) get myself into a position of absolutely needing one specific unit at one specific location.

The Ioniq 5 can charge at up to 350kW (at a suitable charger - of which there are few, but increasing) which is as good as (or better than?) Tesla. And it has been announced that the Tesla network will open to non-Tesla users at some point - although I'd expect premium pricing.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
The Ionic 5 is a bucket of batteries for sure that exists today. Sadly its takes a very long time to charge them.
How's that then??!?!

charge.jpg

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Kia EV6 also looks interesting :-

ev6.JPG

ashenfie

The 10.9-kw onboard charger will handle a full charge in as little as 6 hours, 43 minutes, according to Hyundai. That would require a 240-volt, 60-amp circuit at the home and a 48-amp Level 2 wallbox.
So when not connect to Nuke a home 7.4kw charge point would take around 9 hours.

Cant help you with real world rapid chargers or wtf mph are, but yes if you could find a suitable charger then you could get an 80% in maybe an hour or so. Most people will want to use a home charger on over night/solar tariff as you get near free charging

VastGirth

I read the Tesla Y will be around £45K in the UK verses

Basic Ionic 5 £37k
VW ID4. £34K

Plus a shed load of other options. I suspect the prices are going to tumble in the next few years as every car company releases better and better options.

Electric cars more about a companies image (rather than scaled production) and the likes of VW have very deep pockets, there will only be 1 conclusion, it's not the right time to buy in.

From what I can tell the Model Y will launch in the UK with the long range and performance models very early next year at 50K and 60k ish. Then the standard version will launch later and should be around £40k. Hopefully anyway. If its much more then i'm not sure i can stretch to that.

I'm expecting the values of petrol/diesel cars to plummet at some point in the next few years so i think its a good idea to offload mine before that happens.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
The 10.9-kw onboard charger will handle a full charge in as little as 6 hours, 43 minutes, according to Hyundai. That would require a 240-volt, 60-amp circuit at the home and a 48-amp Level 2 wallbox.
So when not connect to Nuke a home 7.4kw charge point would take around 9 hours.

Cant help you with real world rapid chargers or wtf mph are, but yes if you could find a suitable charger then you could get an 80% in maybe an hour or so. Most people will want to use a home charger on over night/solar tariff as you get near free charging
I think you're confused, home chargers for Tesla and any other car with out and about, all are limited in UK to slowish charging 7kw by UK law on single phase, unless you go for 3 phase commercial type feed, in which case it's 22kw.

Both Tesla Y and Ioniq 5 take around 8 hours, in fact Telsa 8 hrs 15 mins, Ioniq 5 = 7 hr 45 mins to charge at home 0-100%.

Out and about the Ioniq 5 charges 10-80% in 18 mins on a rapid charger (250kw+), the Tesla does the same in circa 25 mins..

The figures quoted above are the range added to the car per hour of charging so :-
Tesla Y = up to 470 mile range added per hour of charging
Ioniq 5 = up to 560 miles range added per hour of charging

ashenfie

From what I can tell the Model Y will launch in the UK with the long range and performance models very early next year at 50K and 60k ish. Then the standard version will launch later and should be around £40k. Hopefully anyway. If its much more then i'm not sure i can stretch to that.

I'm expecting the values of petrol/diesel cars to plummet at some point in the next few years so i think its a good idea to offload mine before that happens.
Ignoring the current spike in 2nd hand Petrol/Diesel car prices plumped years ago, powered by cheap PCP deals

raymondo77

I'm looking to move to an EV next year. I will have about 40k to spend and the upcoming Model Y seems to check all the boxes, the main one being access to the Tesla charging network. but I also like the fact the standard version is so feature packed.

I was quite tempted by the Jaguar I pace too (would need to be 2nd hand in this case) , but ive watched a few you tube vids and the non tesla chargers look a right faff, although Im sure this will improve in the future. The interior is much closer to what i am used to, unlike the Tesla.

Anyone else thinking about getting the Model Y? Are there any better alternatives?

I've ordered an Ioniq 5, as I love the styling, it has some of the fastest charging capabilities on the market today (which will become more useful as higher speed rapid chargers are installed over the next few years), it has loads of room inside, a decent range and cool vehicle to load functionality all of which I'll appreciate when I go camping. The Kia EV6 is based on the same platform and also looks fantastic.

If the Model Y was available today, without a doubt though I would have ordered that, for exactly the reason you mention - the charging network.

I should be test driving an Ioniq 5 tomorrow - yes, I put in an order before driving one! - so if it disappoints I may well be cancelling then waiting for the Tesla. Which will be a long wait as I'm getting rid of my ICE next month, somehow getting £5,000 clear of my settlement figure with the craziness of the second hand market at the moment.

Last edited:

ashenfie

I've ordered an Ionic 5, as I love the styling, it has some of the fastest charging capabilities on the market today (which will become more useful as higher speed rapid chargers are installed over the next few years), it has loads of room inside, a decent range and cool vehicle to load functionality all of which I'll appreciate when I go camping. The Kia EV6 is based on the same platform and also looks fantastic.

If the Model Y was available today, without a doubt though I would have ordered that, for exactly the reason you mention - the charging network.

I should be test driving an Ionic 5 tomorrow - yes, I put in an order before driving one! - so if it disappoints I may well be cancelling then waiting for the Tesla. Which will be a long wait as I'm getting rid of my ICE next month, somehow getting £5,000 clear of my settlement figure with the craziness of the second hand market at the moment.
Yes it's staggering how much used cars have gone up recently. I managed to sell to webuyanycar stagger 2.5k more than a quote I got only 9months before.

I sure it will be a a great car, just don't park it the mud when camping.

VastGirth

I've ordered an Ionic 5, as I love the styling, it has some of the fastest charging capabilities on the market today (which will become more useful as higher speed rapid chargers are installed over the next few years), it has loads of room inside, a decent range and cool vehicle to load functionality all of which I'll appreciate when I go camping. The Kia EV6 is based on the same platform and also looks fantastic.

I should be test driving an Ionic 5 tomorrow - yes, I put in an order before driving one! - so if it disappoints I may well be cancelling then waiting for the Tesla. Which will be a long wait as I'm getting rid of my ICE next month, somehow getting £5,000 clear of my settlement figure with the craziness of the second hand market at the moment.

Maybe I need to see one in the flesh, but from pictures it just screams boy racer hatchback to me.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Yes agree, although I've only seen them in picture form. This is why I also like hte look of the Kia equivelent, which is built on the same E-GMP chassis / platform. They're both pretty large apparantly and as with most dedicated EV platforms (i.e. they have no ICE equivelent on the same platform), the inside should be bigger than an equivelently sized ICE car as it doesn't need all that complicated ICE crud, gearbox, filters, fuel tank, emissions, CAT, exhaust, cooling system etc.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
It's quite big. Think somewhere between a VW T-ROC and a RR EVOQUE - though it's longer than both.

IONIQ 5EVOQUET-ROC
H160516491573
W189019041819
L463543714234

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Tesla is also going to be opening it's charger network to all EV's in the near future according to Musk.

raymondo77

Yes agree, although I've only seen them in picture form. This is why I also like hte look of the Kia equivelent, which is built on the same E-GMP chassis / platform. They're both pretty large apparantly and as with most dedicated EV platforms (i.e. they have no ICE equivelent on the same platform), the inside should be bigger than an equivelently sized ICE car as it doesn't need all that complicated ICE crud, gearbox, filters, fuel tank, emissions, CAT, exhaust, cooling system etc.

Yeah it's pretty damned big (for me anyway, coming from an A-class!), with a 3 metre wheelbase and loads of space inside. It dwarfs my current car.

The Kia looks really classy, from all the videos I've seen of it.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
I think they may have come under pressure from somewhere, they never made a profit from 2003 till 2020, so for 17 years! What we don't yet know is how this will work in practice, I imagine there will be some discussions about how, when and for how much charge.
Also if I was a Tesla owner and all of a sudden a Zoe nipped in a spot in front of me blockig me I'd be a bit 'unhappy', but having said that maybe Tesla will put more chargers in or make more money so can make new Tesla's cheaper, who knows - maybe Mystic Meg does.

raymondo77

Tesla is also going to be opening it's charger network to all EV's in the near future according to Musk.

Hopefully it'll happen sooner than a lot of their announcements. There's a bank of superchargers a mile away from my house, they'd be perfect for me!

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Well this was the jist of Elon's tweet :-
"Tesla’s Supercharger network of rapid chargers will be accessible by electric cars produced by other manufacturers later in 2021."

VastGirth

The Kia looks a lot nicer than the Hyundai. I prefer the interior as well, even though it looks like they have the same display screens. The Hyundai is clearly trying to be like a Tesla inside and not quite nailing it.

VastGirth

If anyone is interested this is the video that made the non tesla EV charging network really seem a "faff"

raymondo77

If anyone is interested this is the video that made the non tesla EV charging network really seem a "faff"

Harry's experience is definitely something that's playing on my mind. I have been watching some videos on the Electric Vehice Man's channel where he talks about the hassle of using the charging networks, and while it's apparently getting better the Tesla network is by all accounts the gold standard: Many charge points at a location, the simplest possible interface - no screen, you just take the connector to the car, the cover opens up, you connect, charging starts automatically and you're billed direct to the Tesla account.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Yes this video isn’t great, but to be fair is 18 months old and probably more representative of how bad things were back then for non-Tesla owners and it’s not necessarily the same story today and going forward.

If each car manufacturer had billions to spend on their own closed network like Tesla so they can all have their own massive banks of chargers things may be simpler, but we'd run out of space and we probably don’t really need it if we all follow the standards. When Tesla were literally the only main game in town they happily made massive losses as they didn't mind paying many many billions to flood the roads with Tesla chargers, it was part of their business plan, they had to else they’d never sell any EV cars.

Today on the UK motorways, Gridserve (owned by Toddington Harper) has bought the Electric Highway from Ecotricity so is ripping out all the old Ecotricity Electric Highway chargers and replacing them with fast, new, reliable and simple to use Gridserve Electric Highway chargers. Plug in, tap your card and charge. The new Gridserve Electric Highway will be 100 times better than that old Ecotricity network which was installed 10+ years ago and has failed to be maintained well and keep up with tech. All new motorway chargers will be next generation 120kW by the end of Sept 2021, some will be 350kw where possible and ocne done the next phase is to upgrade many of the 120kw one to 350kW. Then on top of that he's also going to build 100 other non-motorway locations that will look a bit like the Gridserve facility in Braintree.

42417284-9530245-The_remaining_12_devices_are_supplied_by_Electric_Highway_in_par-a-17_1619796601703.jpg

Many other EV charging companies (Ionity, Instavolt etc) in the UK are all starting to change their offering to be like with Gridserve, i.e. fast, new, easy to use, contactless tap and go etc and some like the Tesco / VW Pod Point chargers are even free to use.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
You also need to keep in mind that if you 'can' charge at home, then 90% of your charging will likely be done on your drive as it's much cheaper and simpler...
20210818_184423000_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR