Tesla Model 3 pre-order info

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Mar 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    @outoftheknow All I was pointing out is the fact Tesla do make a $35k Model 3 and it's damn good value for money compared to a BMW 3 series. Am not sure what the relevance of the test drive car specs is, can you show me a press review of a base spec 318i BMW with zero options ticked?

2. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    So they don't just reduce the taxes on the car as they do here but actually pay the car company some money for you?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    I'm curious, why do people think this tesla is value for money? It has a cheap interior and the exterior is probably built out of biscuit tins. It's a basic saloon with batteries and offers nothing new. I can't help feeling that it's the Emporor's new clothes and people are getting caught up in hype. They're a tech company, not a car manufacturer so why don't people bide their time and wait until a proven manufacturer comes up with something?

4. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,247
    Apologies @gangzoom but the test had the car specs and prices in the US at the bottom and the base price was over $36K. That is literally all I was pointing out. They couldn't even hit their own much hyped target.

The post previous to mine mentioned the usual fact that the car as tested wasn't the base model hence as tested was way more expensive - so I added the bit agreeing that fact.

I couldn't care less about value compared to a BMW or any other car TBH. Nor that nobody tests base models.

Not trying to sound grumpy or rude here - just clarifying the only point I was making :)

5. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,247
    I think I agree with the first half totally. It is value for money purely necuse they only offered very highly priced models up to now. They told us it would be afdordable but that as always depends what your individual needs and desires are.

I have no issue with people buying whatever car they want nor with any Company making something people want. I think if you deduct the price of the batteries they use in the Model 3 and instead they put in say the 30KW sets in other mass production cars, the cost would be very close to the same. Then they could be seen as good value because they are compared to current things the mass market is considering buying.

For some reason they don't market them that way - they prefer to use hype as to how affordable it is compared to cars that quite simply the majority of car buyers will never be able to afford.

Tell me how well they compare to 'normal' EVs and maybe I can see the value.

6. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    I challenge you to source/build a car with the same spec as the Model 3 for anywhere near the list price.

To get an idea how much it actually costs to develop/build these cars why don't you contact these guys and get a quote to convert a basic petrol saloon to electric drive.

electricclassiccars

I think your find £30k will not get you very far!!

7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,451
    Correct, at the moment to encourage people to go electric they pay towards it.

8. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I've just ordered a Golf GTi for £27k, it has way more equipment than the Model 3, is almost as fast accelerating, and has a range of 484 miles (11 gallon tank and 44mpg combined) which is far in excess of the Tesla.

Of course, running and (probably depreciation) costs will be far in excess of the Tesla, so those should be taken into account, too.

As I mentioned in another thread, an EV still doesn't quite do what I need it to without some hassle. Gordon's Ioniq thread highlights the difficulties very well.

9. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    What price is that exactly? From what I can gather, it's not cheap and is basically a big saloon with batteries. I'm sure the equivalent German barge will be better spec'd and will be more usable (now).

Have Tesla actually given anyone in the UK a delivery date and can you actually buy one for £30k? There's no point in quoting prices unless they can actually sell you a car.

I wasn't referring to converting an existing car. I'm pretty sure that all the major manufacturers are beavering away at a similar EV. Toyota have led the way with EV tech and with all the majors entering Formual E (don't get me started on that one!) I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we see a Tesla rival. I've sat in the back of a Tesla taxi and the interior quality is absolute junk and looked about 20 years older than it actually was. I had a good look around the latest models at a display in a shopping centre and the interior looks cheap and came away mightily unimpressed. I get that some of the tech will be upgradable, which is something that is sorely lacking in modern cars but it still looked cheap and nasty. I suppose people get the wow factor from a great big screen as it looks futuristic but it did nothing for me. I am not a fan of touch screens in cars anyway but I suppose if the car drives itself, having the distraction of entering 74 sub menus to adjust the climate control or change radio stations won't matter.

I personally would be hanging fire until one of the major manufacturers launched something that you can actually buy, which is something that you can't do with Tesla. At present I would not be pinning my hopes on something that seems to be overhyped.

10. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    That's why its great we live in a world where people have free choice to do what they want :)

No one is forcing anyone to pre-order anything if you don't like the Model 3 or EVs don't order one, but if you do want a Model 3 than the waiting list currently heading in one direction. Given the fact the deposit is 100% refundable if another EV comes along you can simply cancel.

As for overhyped, that's your own view point, having now owned/driven our Model X for 6.5K miles all I can say it makes everything I've owned/driven feel like they were from the stone age. Everytime I get in our Tesla I just cannot help but smile and grin like a 5 year old in a candy shop and that is a fact :D.

If the 3 can deliver 50% of the same experience I get in the X for 50% the cost I'll be over the moon :).

11. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Here's a (long) video from a guy that compares prices and options of the Model 3 and ICE cars in the same category - BWM 3 series, Merc C class, etc.

Is The Model 3 Really A $35k Car & How...

Everyone I've heard speak of the Model 3 that have driven or been in it are impressed by the build quality and handling.

Remember, unlike an ICE car, EV's are generally much less complex and much more reliable - there's a guy over here (Bjørn Nyland) that has many videos of his Model S traveling 230,000 km in the first 2 years including harsh Norwegian winters without a hiccup. From his videos, the condition of his Model S looks very good inside even though he spent many of those km transporting items for Nimbr.

The Model 3 is in some ways better designed inside - less fancy features and more simplistic, yes, but that to some is a good thing. I'm looking forward to getting rid of all the buttons, dials and switches that are not touched or looked at 99% of the time.

As for range - the last time I non stop drove a car from full to empty was almost 20 years ago when I drove from Geneva to Oslo. It's extremely rare that people need to do that - for most people, for 99.9% of their driving, the Model 3 battery gives sufficient range for daily driving without having to stop to charge - and when you do have to, a 30 min stop at a supercharger will be good enough for almost everyone else. If you are one of the 1 in 1000 where this is not the case, you have my condolences.

And just think, no petrol charges, and reduced service costs too. Why on earth would anyone not want an EV like the Model 3?

12. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,254
    Really? Tesla seem to be just as expensive as everyone else when it comes to servicing. I can however see a reduction in repair costs as there's generally a lot less to go wrong.

13. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Maintenance Plans

"Tesla Annual Service Inspection
    Unlike gasoline cars, Tesla vehicles require no traditional oil changes, fuel filter, spark plug replacements, or emission checks. As an electric vehicle, even brake pad replacements are rare because regenerative braking returns energy to the battery, significantly reducing wear on brakes. Our inspections instead focus on checking wheel alignment and tire condition, assessing replacement parts like key fob batteries and windshield wiper blades, and installing the latest software update. Tesla recommends an annual service inspection every year or 12,500 miles, whichever occurs first, to maintain your vehicle to top performance standards."

So in other words - you really don't need a service unless you feel like it to "check your wheel alignment".

So, besides the lack of ICE stuff to change, there is less wear and tear - less moving parts, no gear box, etc.

14. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    Tesla charge high prices because current owners can afford it, just like how Lexus servicing is much more expensive than Toyota despite sharing lots of parts.

The Tesla 4 year 50K car warranty, and 8 year unlimited miles warranty on the S/X state in black and white the warranty will be honored even if you NEVER service the cars.

How many traditional car manufactures will do warranty repairs on a car with no service history? How many offer an 8 year unlimited miles warranty on the drivetrain of the car?

However actual repair costs are the opposite, lack of parts, no third party suppliers mean at present repair costs are high. But hopefully that will change as demand goes up.

15. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,254
    That's something I was going to look in to....interesting that in effect you don't really need to have the car serviced. Having said that, it's going to kill the resale value.

16. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,692
    You can say the same thing about the Audi A4 which is a similar price new.

17. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,451
    Do you have to wait 3 years for one of those too then?

18. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    The 3 year wait is due to Tesla having too much demand because everyone wants one.......As they say the good things in life are worth waiting for :)

19. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    Demand seems to be lower in Denmark.

20. X DSP

X DSP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hey everyone :hiya:

Currently the owner of a 64 plate Leaf Tekna which I love very much. I bought it from new as my commuting car and have never looked back - can't imagine driving an ICE again now. Big Tesla fan here and following the Model 3 news closely as I may get one in addition to Larry Leaf. I plan on keeping him forever after the depreciation hit from new (and my commute is well within range and will be for the forseeable future), so perhaps the missus will inherit him if I buy a Tesla :devil:

I'm thinking though that the production rate by the time the RHD comes will be so high that there seems little need in reserving at this point - especially when it's £1000 locked away for 2-3 years gaining nothing. I also like the idea of the Tesla Network they have discussed as it seems a great way to cover the cost of the car (or maybe even turn a profit?) when it's not being driven by the owner. Why not let it run around as an autonomous taxi right? All at least 2-3 years away both in terms of the tech and more importantly the legislation side of things too so again this adds to my reasoning that there is no rush to reserve.

Other than that I will continue to peruse the used S/X pages and watch the values as they are finally starting to enter the 40k's (for the S at least), but I would deffo want the Autopilot hardware 2 with the newest camera/sensor suite if nothing else.

21. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,451
    We leased our Leaf for 3 years in May, we'll see how special the 3 looks in 3 years. Not drawn in by the hype yet.

22. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    Have you got inside info on Model 3 pre orders no one else have seen? Or are you just confusing pre orders Model 3 with S/X orders ;).

23. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,692
    It suits me fine. I've got another year in university, then the other half wants to get married. Looking at moving house after that. Different circumstances for different people. By the time I get one I imagine there shall be a lower waiting time and a second hand market

24. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,247
    I don't agree with that at all. The three year wait (for the 3) was created by Tesla to instill a feeling of waiting for something great. To have 250,000 fully refundable deposits instead in selling 10,000 a month for two years isn't a sign that everybody wants one IMO.

It isn't possible to compare Tesla as a company on servicing costs really. Companies that sell ICE cars can't keep their warranties if the bits of the car their warranty covers isn't looked at. The Teslas don't need servicing to maintain bits the warranty covers but yes it is great they say so.

Don't get me wrong I think Tesla is a fantastic entrant into EV car manufacturing. The Model 3 is a more realistic model to mass produce and market but for me thee is a lot of hype that has clouded what the Model 3 is.

American cars have always been cheaper than others and hopefully Tesla have upped the quality. Historically bits tend to fall off US cars - maybe that's why they have done away with knobs and stalks and switches :devil::D

25. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    Actually it's close to 500,000 deposits with the waiting list growing by 1700 per week.

I'm pretty sure every CEO of any company would want that kind of demand :).

As for 'hype', Tesla have been actively 'antiselling' the 3, haven't spent a single $ on adverts. Elon Musk has consistently been telling people how the 3 isn't as good as the S/X only cheaper, how much smaller it is than the S/X. It's one of the reasons I didn't put down a deposit till now.

But the reality is if you look at the specs it dose 95% of what the Model S does but for less than 50% of the cost(more like 35% the cost). That is why I put down a deposit now, and I suspect why so many others have too.

Acutally I was waiting for the iPace as a potential replacement for my wife's car (also a £1000 deposit), but that's going to come in £70kish, so double the price of the 3, with no real advantages apart from having a Jag badge.

Musk continues to "anti-sell" Tesla Model 3, upgrade to latest Model S

I really cannot wait to see a 3 in real life, off to the states in a few weeks, going to try and find a way to get close to one. Last time I was there was just after the Model X launch, I lucked out and saw one of the first X to be delivered to customers at the L.A. supercharger (Yes I'm so sad I go and vist/stalk Supercharger sites whilst on holiday - Much more interesting than going shopping). It took almost 16 months before our own X was on the driveway, but the wait was worth it. I cannot wait for our 3 to arrive:).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  26. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Wow, just wow.

"Created the 3 year wait"? Do you have any idea how long it takes to set up manufacturing for a brand new car?

27. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,247
    Maybe they came across wrong. I wasn't inferring they were taking longer than normal to get a new model up and running. Of course I am aware how long it takes to set up for a new car :)

They created the hype during the three years it takes to get the car out IMO.

28. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    As was mentioned above they've done everything but market this car. The hype is only produced by the Tesla fans themselves.

29. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,247
    Again I haven't put the point across very well. That last sentence i agree with 1000% and was my point - badly put :blush:

30. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,587
    Exactly software isn't free, and doesn't mean that once build it's free for ever.

Are software updates included with Tesla?

Are there alternative controls, such a voice, to control those functions? I must admit that I find a touch panel horrible to operate when on the move. In our Mercedes I use linguatronic mostly for voice control, or if everyone is chatting I use the physical buttons.