Tesla Model 3 pre-order info

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Mar 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,254
    Even then, it has the be allowed by each countries authorities. Don't think it's been cleared in the UK yet.

2. MarkyPancake

MarkyPancake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,450
    MKBHD got invited to a Tesla 3 employee event and had time in the car. No video was allowed, but he's posted his impressions and talks about the options that are available.

Tesla Model 3 Impressions!

3. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Apparently $10k is "a little bit extra" o_O

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,452
    Ah, is this the old, "base model is $35K so they've kindly lent us this $59K one to test drive" trick? :)

5. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31,874
    Do we live in a world now where people know who or what something is from a name like MKBDH ? :)

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,471
    Of course. Are you not down with the kids? :)

7. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Pretty much. Every article says $35k, but you can only buy the $44k one at the moment and that means it's not an "affordable" car for most. It's a start in the right direction, though.

8. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31,874
    Apparently not :)

9. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,247
    Every S and X and it says Model 3 (on the main S page) comes with the full autonomous driving hardware. 8 cameras - two forward, two each side and two at the back. The cost of the options is the cost for the software to be installed/unlocked to use the bits required.

Model 3 on its own page though says it comes with autopilot hardware which isn't always the same thing in the Tesla world.

The software for autonomous driving would be released in bits most likely. The laws where the car is driven have to allow each capability for it all to be enabled. In full autonomous mode you get in and you tell it where to go, if you say nothing it checks your calendar for a destination. If nothing there it goes home. Wherever it is told to go it goes with zero driver input. Get there and get out and it goes off to find a parking space. Call it back on the app. Those last bits of having no driver at all are likely to be the final bits to be addressed in laws - if ever in some places maybe. :)

10. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    Pricing of options on the Model 3 is the same as on the S/X. Difference been a $5-10K option on a car that costs $100K doesn't seem like much - a 10% relative increase in price, where as on a $35K car its massive jump in price. But Tesla cannot make options on the 3 cheaper than S/X, if they did all current S/X owners will be moaning like crazy, over time that may change.

The 3 is still NOT a cheap car in the same way as a Leaf/Zoe, but it is over 50% cheaper than a S/X but will deliver 90% of the same experience.

I haven't ordered the AutoPilot software on our X, and wouldn't either for the 3. Virtually all my driving is local roads/B road where current AutoPilot is useless - I have AutoPilot on my current long-term Tesla loaner and in 2K miles used it twice. BUT, if they can truly deliver full autonomy for $10K, that is an absolutely BARGAIN!!

Think about it for one second, if the car can really drive it self from A to B with no driver input. the commute to work is no longer 'dead time'. I can get half my paperwork done even before getting into the office. That long drive to see relatives/weekends/holidays, instead of worrying about traffic jams just simply treat it as a massive long nap or family time in the car. Need to pick up grandparents at the railway station - just send the car via your phone!! Cannot find parking, just get out of the car, and than send the car to find parking it self.

The amount of usable time released up by not having to drive is massive, and for me easily worth $10K. I'm very doubtful Tesla can deliver it with current hardware but we'll wait and see. The one big advantage Tesla have is they are developing all their hardware/software now in-house. Where as other a lot of brands are relying on third party companies which means they don't have the same level of control interms of integration.

Interesting times ahead.

11. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Indeed, a 28.5% price hike for the options!

Other manufacturers charge more for options on their more expensive cars than they do on their cheaper ones, or the fancy stuff is included as standard. eg. A DSG gearbox is more on a Passat than it is on a Golf, as is Keyless entry.

The dead time thing is great, I do it every day already, on a train ;) I've been pointing this out over many years when people have been moaning about public transport.

Tesla are a long, long way away from autonomous cars.

12. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31,874
    Yep - way to kill off the enjoyment the grandparents get from meeting the relatives at the station and replace it with a robot :)

13. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,247
    Or to kill the grandparents if the tech isn't quite there :D

14. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,452
    That's the question isn't it. They are charging you $10K to turn it on, how much has/does the hardware/software really cost? If it's more then $10K I can see that it's absorbed into the overall cost of the S and X but less so in the case of the 3.

15. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,247
    That's why I was surprised the 3 has the hardware. I originally thought they would/could cut some of the costs by not fitting it unless you opted at purchase. Like you say though what would it save I wonder in reality?

Funny how the $35K car in the US has finally appeared in that day test in the US with the details showing the base price is over $36K and yes, as driven, nearly $50K. Probably the local tax stuff but they don't seem to have hit the long promised mark in their homeland.

16. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    This is the same marketing strategy used by every car manufacture.

The base spec BMW 3 series in the UK is a 318i, the list price is £27K. for that you get:
    • Manual gear box
    • Basic sat nav
    • 0-60 time of 8.9 seconds
    • no leather

The base Model 3 will be £27K after the EV grant (based on current Model S $/£ conversation) for that you get:

• Full AP2.0 hardware - Preventive braking/lane departure warning etc all activated as standard.
    • Same Satnav/media system as in the S/X - including reversing camera on a 15inch screen.
    • 0-60 time of 5.6 seconds
    • no leather
    So if your in the market for a small saloon, and have £30Kish to spend which would you choose a manual, 4 cylinder BMW or a Tesla Model 3 that's as quick to 60mph as most 'sports' cars and come loaded with some of the most advanced sensor suit on any car at any price :).
    The Model 3 in the US is $27K after the federal EV grant, the CHEAPEST BWM 3 series in the US lists for $33k before options. So far from not hitting their price promise, Tesla have undercut BMWs best selling car whilst delivering MORE performance/hardware!!

Its hard not to see why North American demand of the Model 3 is so high!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,452
    It doesn't really matter how much hardware comes as standard if they charge £10K to switch it on. ;)

It's OK, I get that you have preventive breaking and lane control without paying that :)

18. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    I think I'll skip the auto driving option - tbh, can't say I'd really trust it for a while until it's been used by huge numbers of people for a few years without problems.
    Just priced a new model S 75D on Tesla's site and it's like £70,000 here with the premium pack. The equivalent Model 3 will I guess be 50k.

19. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    £10k, Tesla have a track record of reducing prices. For example the 15kWh battery 'upgrade' option on my old car went from £8k down to £4.5k with no warning.

The fact you can activate it post delivery also means you don't need to go and buy a new car if the software got a point where it's good enough to be used.

Again the point of the 3 is lower the price of entry and it's done just that. It's now as cheap if not cheaper than an equivalent combustion car, none of which have anything like the computing hardware/sensor built in.

20. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31,874
    It's a bit dodgy to call it cheap when the taxpayer is picking up a chunk of the bill - or have I got that wrong?

21. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,452
    I think there is no doubt it will be the best "buck per mile range" car out there. And if you need a 2-300 mile range car, they have the market sewn up. But for people doing short range trips there are better value for money options. And the Tesla dealer network is very thinly spread outside of London. Of course, they may have a lot more dealers by 2020.

22. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31,874
    Sure but how much of that 'for the buck' is thanks to a grant? That's my question.

Same grant that all EV vehicles get in the UK I expect. So that £4k ? grant goes a lot further towards a LEAF or Zoe, than a Tesla.

23. AdrianMills

AdrianMills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Grants? A grant is actually giving you money - but EV incentives are just that they take less off you in taxes.

24. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,452
    In the UK, the Government pay £K off the cost of the vehicle. So when we pcp'd our Leaf there was £4.5K knocked off the cost of the package. A grant towards the cost, if you like.

Ongoing incentives are zero VED, which for an economical modern ICE car are often zero too.

25. imightbewrong

imightbewrong
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31,874
    Thanks - so quite a significant chunk

26. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,692
    Hardware is possibly cheap. But the 1000s of man hours programming the software, designing the hardware and the testing is not cheap.
    Like an IPhone. The components probably cost under £100 but the R&D is expensive

27. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,452
    It certainly influenced our decision :)

Unless you are thinking of getting a second vehicle for the school run/shopping, I'd stick with the Caravelle for as long as it lasts. As you may be aware we've just bought a 7 seater Sedona oil burner for long distance duties, while getting a low range EV Leaf for local duties.

28. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,452
    The Tesla 3 is increasingly looking like an I-Phone.

Want to open the glove box? That's two screens in on the T-ablet. Change the direction on a ventilation vent? that will be on screen 7.

;)

BTW: Opening the glove box really is only possible from a secondary screen.

29. DOBLY

DOBLY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
  30. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,247
    @gangzoom - I wasn't referring to comparisons with other base premium cars. I was merely pointing out that a much trumpeted $35K in the US has a list price in that US test drive of over $36K.

As @IronGiant says it is only cheap if you are in that price range of the market and really need the range. Plenty of choice for less at the moment - many people are really looking at their driving and realising for them there is no range anxiety. Even if you hire a car a couple of times a year.