Tesla: announce articulated truck and Roadster

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by IronGiant, Nov 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    ^You get use to the lack of noise very quickly. I think people will still buy combustion cars for the noise, gears etc, just like people still ride horses and go to steam engine meets.

We have all grown up been conditioned to link a loud V8 etc = excitement/speed. But the reality is at any speed over 50mph all you hear is road nosie in any car.

The next generation will see engine noise as something that the old guys with walking sticks and on comodes keeps on talking about, but I doubt many (if any) will care.

I can tell you from first hand expereicne all 5-6 years are more excited to see our Tesla than anything else when visting our house. I almost feel guilty about the amount of pestering my friends get from their kids about why mummy/daddy cannot get rid of their Audi/Merc etc and get Tesla instead.....I say almost, because as an EV convert I'll take any tool/path that increase EV uptake, pester power included.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,951
    I don’t agree about the road noise. Let’s do a shoot out you take me out in the Tesla X and I’ll take you out in our Mercedes AMG GLC43. Definitely no roadnoise only about 50mph.

Ps. And that is why I’m so interest, I do know that Besides noise our AMG will loose our big time to a Tesla in the acceleration stakes which is just good madness :)

3. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +678
    The quoted performance for the roadster is astonishing, I can see a few teeth falling out when people put their feet down and even more teeth falling out when they wrap themselves round the nearest lamppost!

How long before artificial engine noise or similar is mandated in EVs for pedestrian safety?

4. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    As a regular pedestrian, I say there isn't much difference in road noise between petrol and electric cars when they are travelling at 20mph and above (diesels tend to be noisier, though).

However at car park/traffic jam speeds, electric powered cars are much quieter (no sh*t, Sherlock), and you'd probably need some sort of warning noise to be generated in those circumstances.

5. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    I’m not convinced that pedestrians need cars to have noise where cars should be and pedestrians shouldn’t......

I know there are exceptions but generally I don’t think EVs should have artificial noise added.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,959
    Mine has "VESS" (Virtual Engine Sound System) which makes a fake whirring sound at up to 15mph (I think it is). It's switchable. I think some territories mandate it and in such places, the switch isn't there.

7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,984
    It's in the Leaf up until 16mph. And switchable. We haven't done a definitive test, but with it on the car is still like a stealth ninja. With it off I can only assume it becomes invisible to radar.

8. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    And in the Zoe till 18mph, Can be turned off by a switch on dash (And Like Leaf disabled in software), the Zoe has 3 selectable sounds, all as bad as each other, and from my tests in a car park dont alert the pedestrian in front, just confuse them as to who is playing a harmonica in the car park..

9. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,951
    Its more useful when you are in high density pedestrian areas. Even with some ICE vehicles we had it that pedestrians simply don't hear you and literally walked into the car or right in front (think some small old streets in Italy or Amsterdam). I would like something switchable as I wouldn't want to use the claxon all the time.