Tesla: announce articulated truck and Roadster

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by IronGiant, Nov 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,723
  2. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +483
    Looks like the lorry will be super expensive but I guess the savings on fuel will really add up over the lifetime of the truck. not sure what the tank size is for an HGV but if the averge MPG for an hgv are about 6mpg then the cost for diesel would be about £439 for 500 miles.

exciting times :)

3. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +992
    Really exciting part about the roadster is the 200kWh pack in a car that looks not much bigger than a 3 series.

Tesla/Panasonic must have done some magic to up battery density as the current 100kWh packs needs a car the size of the S/X to accommodate.

I persume once they get the tech ready for mass production 200kWh packs should also fit on a S/X with ease, which will mean range of 350-400 miles. At that kind of pack range even the need for motorway Superchargers almost disappears unless for ultra long trips.

I cannot wait to see how Tesla will develop battery density over the next few years, the long range Model 3 already has a 80kWh despite been much smaller than our X which has a 75kWh pack. I'll even be happy with a 150kWh pack in our X, which hopefully it an upgrade option Tesla will offer in future.

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,723
    I wonder what size (physical and capacity) the truck battery is?

5. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +992
    Tesla quoting 2 miles per kWh so assuming 450 miles range, your looking at close to 1000kWh battery.

A current Tesla 100kWh battery pack weights in at over 500kg, with current battery density your looking at 5 ton worth of battery alone + size, which really doesn't seem viable given all the specs Tesla is quoting for the truck. It would also mean the roadster will have 1ton worth of battery, which seems unlikely given the performance figures been quoted.

The only way I can Tesla been able to achieve their targets is with a much higher density lithium-ion pack. The Roadster is very small car, you can see it in the profile it might even be smaller than my old Leaf.

Given Nissan can only get a 30kWh battery into the current Leaf, how Tesla is planning in to squeeze in a 200kWh pack is the real question. I guess we'll find out soon, 2019/20 isn't that far away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  6. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +992
  7. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Those double screens are gonna be awesome for watching dubious videos as you drive along!

8. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +992
  9. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Agree its a great to see the pack size increase, but I disagree on it changing the supercharger usage, if anything I see it increasing.

Lets face it who is going to want to charge a 200kw pack at home on a 7kw supply..

I reckon it will mean all the drivers stop at the local Supercharger on the way home or on the way out to boost the battery and do very little charging at home.

10. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,723
    Unlike fuel, it makes no odds if you drive around with a full tank of electrons. So it's quite likely that the canny owner will simply keep it topped up at home and only fully discharge it on long trip. In other words, for daily use, you'd never want to run the battery down beyond your ability to recharge it overnight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500

Must just be me being a tight northerner then (deep pockets short arms). Even with just a 41kw pack I tend to stop on way home so I minimise overnight charging costs. ;-)

12. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,723
    Ah well, if you can conveniently get free electricity away from the house I guess it's a different matter.

13. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +992
    Thats not what the majority of Tesla owners do now. Tesla have also indicated they will start charging money for Superchargers for all new owners soon, infact all Model 3 owners have to pay for Supercharger use.

The current cost is been quoted at 20p/kWh so roughly twice as expensive as normal home electricty and nearly 3 times what I pay for E7 rates.

14. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500

Wow that is a fairly high rate at 20p a kw but I suppose you Re paying for the convieience of very high speed charging

My current eco7 rate is 4.99p so any home charging I do I try and get done on eco7.

15. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,723
    You seemed to suggest you get cheap/free electricity away from home in your Zoe, how does that work?

16. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500

Ecotricity has completely free 22kw chargers at Leicester Forest East services so I stop there for a top up on the way home... also when out and about I tend to use the be Chargemaster rapids that have no charge for use (luckily have a few on the routes I use)

17. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,723
    Is there an app or whatever that shows you the free ones?

18. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    For the Ecotricity ones if you search on the Ecotricity site for medium ac chargers. It will list them. Your neeD to apply to Ecotricity for a free rfid card to activate them. It’s just a case of filling in a form on the website and they send one out no cost no strings etc.

Details here

AC medium

As for the polar ones if you click on the polar live map it shows which ones you pay to the electricity and which are no charge

19. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41,723
    Thanks, we get our Household electrons from them, so tieing them together should be easy.

20. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,297
    Ok, I’m sitting up and paying attention.

96E3B5B8-9C61-437A-B1EA-5F1B0F4FF7E0.jpeg

21. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +992
    Those figures are for the 'base' verison. The top spec car will be even quicker!!

If your serious about getting one you might want to put a deposit down (£30k), apparently 100ish UK deposits have already beeb placed. I cannot see that 200kWh pack been easy to mass produce. The waiting list for this car might end up been as long as the Model 3, all depending on how many Tesla can build.....

Tesla Roadster will get even quicker through an option package

22. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,297
    Just a dream at the moment, but one that is attainable and realistic, just got other monetary priorities at the moment.

23. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +992
    Absolutely, but £150-200K is much more in reach than £3million. Unlike a traditional hypercar/supercar running costs will also likely to be the same as a Zoe.

Not a chance I'll get to own one for at least a few decades with a growing family, nappies and schools take priority. But come retirement than its something to look fowards too :).

24. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +992
    @dejongj The attached info graphic may also interest you :)

Attached Files:

25. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,297
    Nah still not getting a previa :p

26. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,234
    Too much to handle? :D

27. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,918
    Hopefully, over the next few years, we will see the release of new full EVs, cars, vans and lorries.

The problem being will people turn away from purchasing new EVs due to cost and other negatives and continue purchasing new petrol/diesel vehicles?

In addition, how can the government persuade people to move across to EVs gently without draconian penalties being imposed - which unfortunately is what the government and councils are beginning to do now.

28. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +992
    @Alan CD If you read my post about my orginal 24kWh Leaf your see I pointed out its real life range was/is too short for many people to consider as a total combustion car replacemnt.

But the new 40kWh Leaf coming in Jan/Feb 2018 doubles that range for hopefully the same pricing. Tesla are already there with range all be it at a higher cost.

The real excitement in the latest Tesla roadster/semi announcement isnt 0-60 times. It's the fact Tesla have managed to squeeze in a 200kWh (600 mile range) battery into a car not much bigger than a Lotus Elise and still leave room to carry 4 people.

Personally I think the production on the Roadster 2.0 will be very limited, Tesla are even struggling to keep up demand of current 75/100kWh packs based on 100K cars a year. I just cannot see manufacturing a battery at least twice the energy density of the current packs been easy, not initially anyways.

But the fact Tesla are confident they can deliver a 200kWh roadster is the final nail in the coffin for combustion/hydrogen fuel cars. As the only remaining advantage they held over EVs is now gone. Not only will can EV now do 500 miles + to a tank, a 200kWh pack will be able to charge at stupid rates, likely 350KW+, so your looking at adding 200 miles of range in a few minutes. Prices of these true nextgen EVs will be high, £180k+ for the roadster, but like all things in tech prices will fall, it really is simply a matter of when not if EVs become the default choice for everyone.

It really is an exciting time to be a car nut. We are only at the start of EV development, and already EVs have bettered everything combustion cars can do.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  29. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +992
    I think its the 3 windscreen wipers.....might make your eyes explode with amazement the first time you see them in action:D.

30. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,297
    On a serious note though, I surely can’t have been the only one to have been disappointed to hear nothing when that amazing looking roadster sped away.

Sure whilst driving it I bet the grin on your face will make the lack of sound of a V8 or V12 disappear. However looking at it from a distance I was missing something.