• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Tesco!!!

C225

Distinguished Member
Just got back from tesco from doing a bit of evening shopping and can't believe tesco.

Shop shuts at 11pm and i finished going around at 9pm so go to look for a checkout and none are open so i go and ask if a till could be opened. And the response i got was you have to use the self service as the till staff are finished for the night and had been since 8pm:eek:

So go to the self service to find i have to unload a nearly full trolley on the small self service normally used for baskets.:mad:

What is the point in opening late if there is no checkout staff to serve us do the not expect any customers. There were plenty of staff going around the shelfs but apparently thier not qualified.:rolleyes:

Sorry rant over but that really annoyed me.

Throttle

That does sound very poor not having checkout staff you'd imagine a few there till closing time tbh :confused: Dunno if be worthwhile bothering sending them a letter to manager pointing it out as a almost full trolley going through a self service checkout isnt really any good as you obviously would found out :rolleyes:

C225

Distinguished Member
Took me nearly 45 min with the constant "the item you have scanned is not in the bagging area" When it damn well was:mad:

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
:rotfl: Sorry couldn't help but laugh at that post! I frequently shop at Tesco (24hr opening) in the early hours of the morning. Although they always have a manned counter open, they have started trying to 'encourage' customers to use the self service tills. The first time I used this service, never having worked as any sort of shop assistance before, it was of great amusement to a couple of teenage girls (staff). Have to say though after some instruction in the use of said device I am now a fan of it - not least because it means I don't have to muster communication skills at 3am in the morning!

Steven

Senior Moderator
24hr Asda round my way shuts the self-service till at dead hours and make you go to 'real people' till

Every little helps

stevefish69

Just got back from tesco from doing a bit of evening shopping and can't believe tesco.

Shop shuts at 11pm and i finished going around at 9pm so go to look for a checkout and none are open so i go and ask if a till could be opened. And the response i got was you have to use the self service as the till staff are finished for the night and had been since 8pm:eek:

So go to the self service to find i have to unload a nearly full trolley on the small self service normally used for baskets.:mad:

What is the point in opening late if there is no checkout staff to serve us do the not expect any customers. There were plenty of staff going around the shelfs but apparently thier not qualified.:rolleyes:

Sorry rant over but that really annoyed me.

I would have walked out and left the the lot in the trolley. I can't stand having to use those ruddy things for a couple of items, let alone a trolley full.

I'd make a complaint to Tesco's as it's the 1st time i've ever heard of a store open with no checkout staff.

Peridot

I would have walked out and left the the lot in the trolley. I

I'd have been quite happy to use the self-check facility. But as there were no staff around to confirm my age then any alcohol purchases could not be scanned and would have go straight into bags ;)

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
tescos are doing this all the time now. id go between 11 and 1 am and all the staff would be outside having a 3hr fag break. they wont open a till and tell you to use the self service.

BOTH times that happened i left a trolley full of various items at the till and said **** you then, I have a day job so your not gonna make me start doing yours!

I now shop at asdas which is an extra 4 miles away, but they always have at least 1 person on :thumbsup:

Orson

I was reading the original post thinking that around here, people would just walk out without paying - but still taking the shopping.

My local Tesco took out the self-scan checkouts ages ago.

Perhaps they were ahead of me on that one :D

C225

Distinguished Member
I would have walked out and left the the lot in the trolley. I can't stand having to use those ruddy things for a couple of items, let alone a trolley full.

I'd make a complaint to Tesco's as it's the 1st time i've ever heard of a store open with no checkout staff.

I came very close to that actually but i could not be bothered going and doing all the shopping again today.

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
Those self service tills bug the **** out of me. Takes so bloody long to do anything on them. That and last time I used them I bought some beer and it won't allow you to buy them until a member of staff comes and authorises it. Ended up waiting ages just for someone to turn up and authorise it :mad:

Iccz

Distinguished Member
*giggles*

bless you having to do all that on the self service basket checkout
thankfully here they have trolly self service too :smashin:

C225

Distinguished Member
*giggles*

bless you having to do all that on the self service basket checkout
thankfully here they have trolly self service too :smashin:

They did here too but had shut them down as well. I woulnd't of minded if i could of used that.

Newton's Ring

How did you manage to get your all your items onto the bagging area or did you put them back into your trolley after scanning, and if so, did it keep saying "please replace the item into the bagging area?"

The Tesco near us took those tills out a while ago too.

C225

Distinguished Member
How did you manage to get your all your items onto the bagging area or did you put them back into your trolley after scanning, and if so, did it keep saying "please replace the item into the bagging area?"

The Tesco near us took those tills out a while ago too.

It took all my tetris stacking skills to do that.:rotfl:

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
I find the self service tills really handy as I often call in during the week to buy a few things and it saves having to queue at the checkout. The problem however is that the store near me has two bays of self service tills and often only opens one, due to the amont of times the store operator has to be involved I guess with the bag scales/checking and alcohol and DVD age checks.. So you end up queing as long for a self service till as a normal one.. :confused:

Last edited:

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
Take out the need for these tills and get your shopping delivered, they deliver up till 11pm, it's much better then actually going.

The last time I went to the supermarket ws on the way back from hols to grab a few necessities.

Liam

kBm

Distinguished Member
I prefer the self service if i have a few items - i can scan and pack alot quicker than some of the deadbeats i see on the checkouts!

I dont have to give them eye contact either.....:devil:

Tesco bugs the hell out of me sometimes though. Mulitpacks that cost more than the same amount of single items - whats the point!

Slowly putting prices up over a peroid of time to just reduce them and claim 'half price' - still more than the original price 6 months previous though!

The checkout staff look at you in disgust if you dont bring in your own bags!

Now, your not allowed freedom over the carrier bags - you have to ask for them - its to save the environement apparently. Why not stop making them!?:suicide:

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Wow, I'm amazed Tesco leave people to it late in the evenings, was there no one there at all? Surely that's open for mass abuse!

Ironically, I only find these self serve tills useful if I have a basket of shopping and the store isn't busy, otherwise it's chaotic and can take you longer than just waiting in line at the hand basket till. Argos is the exception to this rule, but you still have to meet humans in the end :D

Lee

Wow, I'm amazed Tesco leave people to it late in the evenings, was there no one there at all? Surely that's open for mass abuse!

I was thinking the same reading it. If you were that way inclined, what's to stop you not paying for some of the stuff? If someone is watching over you, it kind of defeats the object of cutting down on staff.

C225

Distinguished Member
I was thinking the same reading it. If you were that way inclined, what's to stop you not paying for some of the stuff? If someone is watching over you, it kind of defeats the object of cutting down on staff.

There was one person looking over the 4 self service which were all getting used due to the only way to pay you could of easily slipped a few things past

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
There was one person looking over the 4 self service which were all getting used due to the only way to pay you could of easily slipped a few things past

I'm surprised that you, as a student in the middle of the credit crunch, could afford to have a "full trolley" of anything ..... you must be earning extra dosh as a moderator and haven't told us!

C225

Distinguished Member
I'm surprised that you, as a student in the middle of the credit crunch, could afford to have a "full trolley" of anything ..... you must be earning extra dosh as a moderator and haven't told us!

I stupidly offered to do the weekly shopping for my parents, last time i do that:rolleyes:

And anyway i've got a placement for the year so earning plenty money:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom