Tesco Technika Blu-ray player GBP150

but perhaps understandable if people are dismissing this player without even trying it. I remember a time when Oppo was similarly dismissed as no one knew the name.

but perhaps understandable if people are dismissing this player without even trying it. I remember a time when Oppo was similarly dismissed as no one knew the name.

Agreed. Nic. The bane of AV discussion - the snob who thinks that if it costs more it must be better.

Thank goodness that AVF is still a place where people will ask the awkward questions, look at things with logic instead of prejudice, and not accept things as 'fact' without looking into the truth a little more deeply.

Steve W

haha, I love the fact that someone who is sad enough to be on a forum dedicated to getting 'the best deal' rather than the 'best product' thinks this place is a waste of time. :D

Oh come on what are the odds that a player thats sold by Tesco thats dropped nearly fifty percent since its release and that no ones heard of and that no ones bought and tested is going to be worth a fig in real terms.

so another informed opinion on a product few have bought yet?

Should we also cancel all future reviews on products because we have never heads of the name on the box, despite the fact the design looks to come from the perhaps the biggest player in the Blu world and is their 'reference' design, used by many mnufacturers.

I find it astonishing in 2009 people want to dismiss a product without even looking at it. If this is what this forum wants then it's days are numbered as it will become a laughing stock of the AV internet world.

can I also suggest that we find all ugly people guilty in courts of law just because they 'might'....

Fine dismiss a product as crap once you have seen it but before :shocked:

Fine dismiss a product as crap once you have seen it but before

Reviews of unheard of makers aside I find it laughable that a member whose tag line is Do everything with excess even excess is also the sort of person who would even give a product like this an inch on his hi-fi rack. I happily wear Tesco jeans and socks - but I don't need to be bitten by a dog to know that it's dangerous - and I for one will not be buying a Technika BD player just so we can discuss it's pros and cons. :boring:

PS: if my logic needs further amplification there is an old saying "You can tell a man by the company he keeps" Or am I suppose to believe that Oppo retails thru Walmart

Last edited:
Nic

whose reference design do you think this is ?

BB

nb: if we think this box is cheap then its pretty obvious that by Q4 the market is going to be full of sub £30 BD players. Mediatek are entering the BD chipset market. Sony, Philips and MEC are about to reduce all the BD licence fees...

If you don't want a product like this fine but to dismiss it on NO evidence :eek:. Personally I find it irrelevant whether a product is £100 or £10000, I make no conclusion on their initial price and certainly make no judgements before seeing anything. I used to call this review by pdf but it seems we have don't even have to have a pdf anymore before we make judgements. I happily buy, play and test with cheap and expensive products alike, the true meaning of excess and I try and do it with an open mind. If this forum and it members ever give up the persuit of knowledge and education, we might as well pack up and go home.

I happily try all things new and make my own mind up, unruffled by labels and pre conceptions. If I hadn't taken this route then manufacturers like Oppo would have never been tried by me when they were first released.

whether a product is £100 or £10000, I make no conclusion on their initial price and certainly make no judgements before seeing anything. I used to call this review by pdf but it seems we have don't even have to have a pdf anymore before we make judgements. I happily buy, play and test with cheap and expensive products alike, the true meaning of excess.

I am happy for you that you have sufficents funds to enjoy products in such a way, I look forward to your review of the Technika when you buy it!

too busy testing an even cheaper DVD player atm (£60) and will follow will an Oppo Blu ray (£550). Depending on Pioneer firmwares and Oppos abilities may follow that with a Pioneer 91 (£1800).

Thats good to hear - whom do you think will be supplying Technika's firmware updates. :clap:

Thats good to hear - whom do you think will be supplying Technika's firmware updates. :clap:

If you want to learn about the player you will need to speak to owners or buy one yourself. Else you could try speaking to Tesco. They were especially good when they launched the Wharfdale DVD player (750). This player transformed the DVD market in the UK, and when it needed firmware updates (much rarer with DVDs), it arranged engineers to go around to people houses to solve the problems with discs with a firmware update (was it matrix disc?). Impressive for a £150 player at the time, pretty well rock bottom of the market as well.

Matrix and maybe Gladiator (2nd disc) if i remember correctly? :)
Brings back memories. :D

Thanks Nic, maybe I'll do that and I might pick up a nice Denon or Harman Kardon Amp to go with it at the same time!

KF, reminds me also of the 870 'Kingfisher' player I think Samsung did (but not under their name), it also had ' these white rabbit issues' that were not as well sorted as the Tescos cheapie. Mind you those two players transformed the DVD market themselves and made it main stream. They were popular.

I bought a wharfdale 750 too. It lasted years! looked **** hot on a phillips tv. Remote was a little sluggish but still it was cheap compared to them sonys and samsungs of the day. Dont like gladiator so didnt bother me..cant remember having a problem with matrix. roll on bargain basement blueray !

had this player delivered today from tesco for £88.52 inc delivery.loads dvds in 10 seconds upscales them as good as my denon 1940.takes 20 secs to load blu ray disc.have watched first 30 mins of tomb of the dragon,picture quality as good as ive seen on sony or panasonic.as 24fps which can be switched on or off.no jerkiness to picture,sound quality brilliant

If you want to learn about the player you will need to speak to owners or buy one yourself. Else you could try speaking to Tesco. They were especially good when they launched the Wharfdale DVD player (750). This player transformed the DVD market in the UK, and when it needed firmware updates (much rarer with DVDs), it arranged engineers to go around to people houses to solve the problems with discs with a firmware update (was it matrix disc?). Impressive for a £150 player at the time, pretty well rock bottom of the market as well.

I see someone else goes on another forum ;)

What I also said though, was that is was from a reputable manufacturer, albeit speakers at the time, not quite sure Tecknika has the same credentials imo.

:smashin:

I don't read any other forums nowdays, what do you mean? Are we saying similar things but in different places?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom