• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Tesco Sky HD box, The no annual contract bit

saabtech

Established Member
I rang sky this morning to see if they could clarify what the no annual contract bit means, e.g. can you subscribe to a package on a month by month basis and have a month without subscribing as and when you so desire, or does the no annual contract bit only apply to the viewing package that came with the box etc. After a lot of being transfered from one department to another, it would appear that they do not actually know themselves, nor could they find anyone that knows.
I also asked for verification that you must notify if you wish to cancel or change your package that you could do so anytime before the expirey of the trial period, [as stated on the box], or give a months notice. Apparantly it is both!
Has anyone had any more success than this?

D'@ve

Prominent Member
There's no point in cancelling before the free 2 or 3 months are up, obviously. Thereafter, you can cancel, upgrade or downgrade exactly as if you were a "normal" Sky customer outside the initial 12 months contract.

So... that means a minimum of one month subscribed to any upgrade and then you can cancel at any time. I confirmed with two separate CS reps, when I upgraded to Sky HD, that apart from any initial 12 months contract (which doesn't apply to independently obtained boxes including Tesco ones), the HD sub is treated as if it is a normal channel upgrade. But of course, you must confirm this in words of one syllable at the time of your own upgrade. ;)

12 month contracts come attached to directly subsidised boxes, not packages or packs or whatever they call the HD sub these days. This implies (but i haven't checked it specifically with Sky) that if you upgraded within the initial free 2-3 months, you could downgrade again or cancel at any time after a month (or whatever "normal" subscribers out of contract have to do).

Last edited:

saabtech

Established Member
There's no point in cancelling before the free 2 or 3 months are up, obviously. Thereafter, you can cancel, upgrade or downgrade exactly as if you were a "normal" Sky customer outside the initial 12 months contract.

So... that means a minimum of one month subscribed to any upgrade and then you can cancel at any time. I confirmed with two separate CS reps, when I upgraded to Sky HD, that apart from any initial 12 months contract (which doesn't apply to independently obtained boxes including Tesco ones), the HD sub is treated as if it is a normal channel upgrade. But of course, you must confirm this in words of one syllable at the time of your own upgrade. ;)

12 month contracts come attached to directly subsidised boxes, not packages or packs or whatever they call the HD sub these days. This implies (but i haven't checked it specifically with Sky) that if you upgraded within the initial free 2-3 months, you could downgrade again or cancel at any time after a month (or whatever "normal" subscribers out of contract have to do).

Thanks for that I had forgotten about the box subsidy, and of course it now makes sense, It`s a shame that the CS reps and supervisor were not able to tell me that when I rang, but it was at 5.15 this morning just after coming back from milking the cows! [You can always get through at that time of day]

mikerk

Standard Member
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Had enough now , i bought a NO ANNUAL CONTRACT sky hd box for £194.77 from tesco Burnley on 18/01/09
rang sky to fit , all ok. After fitting, I rang sky to inform them them I would not be wanting to carry on with the films etc which were free for 2 months as it says on box you can do, but oh no sky say you have to stay with them 12 months now WHAT.. they say speak to tesco.
rang tesco they say speak to sky....
rang sky they say speak to tesco . so tesco say cancel standing order so i do....
now i speak to sky again this time they say i can cancel OK ?
but say i can only cancel on the last day of free offer EHHHH
so rang back when they told me to, but two days early as i didnt want them saying i missed the date and say I can't cancel
ahhhhhhhhh
rang again, oh yes can cancel on 4th person i speak to ....
so I cancel all seems ok
Then I receive a bill from sky for £23 as i cancelled my standing order ...
which tesco advised me to do....
Ring sky and asked why I have a bill as I have cancelled, surprise can't cancel they say and have to stay for 12 months and also now have an admin fee for cancelling my standing order, I explained what has gone on and they say take it up with tesco as they sold me the hd box.............
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
ring tesco and very good will ring me back in 15 mins great............
No ring back ,surprised? not me!
ring tesco again am told will investigate and get back to me.
24hrs later I am here typing this letter

phone calls so far spoke to
hannah
tom
scott
derek
louise
michael
sarah
bill at sky

tesco
william
derek
leanne
plus another got date but no name

LMDavies

Established Member
Mikerk - This does not sound good. I too purchased a Pace box about three weeks ago and I have a few days to return it to Tesco for full refund if I wish.

I sent Sky the following email yesterday and am awaiting a reply..

I have recently purchased a Sky+ HD box with NO ANNUAL CONTRACT from Tesco's and currently on a free trial.

As per the terms and conditions I hereby give you notice that I no longer wish to receive Sky TV after my free trial is up.

However I do wish watch the free digital channels (FTV and FTA) without subscription.

Please confirm the date when my free trial will end and that my Sky TV will be cancelled automatically at the end of the trial. Please also confirm that my bank account will NOT be debited.

BrianMc

Established Member
I confirmed with two separate CS reps, when I upgraded to Sky HD, that apart from any initial 12 months contract (which doesn't apply to independently obtained boxes including Tesco ones), the HD sub is treated as if it is a normal channel upgrade.
You might think you have got this confirmed but if you read the contract it is 12-months minimum for the HD-contract no matter how the STB was sourced! The Tesco STBS have an explicit break-point after 2 months (only!)

Other forum posters have encountered CS people who will (correctly) insist this is the case - and who will refuse to cancel!

mikerk

Standard Member
p.s i tried to cancel in first week of box being installed , sky said i had to wait till within 28 days before end of free period which i did and cancelled by ringing.....after 6 people saying i couldnt and still within time period , i have been waiting for free period to end when bill has come for next month viewing , so rang up ( even though I was told it was cancelled 3 1/2 weeks ago) they have kept quiet till into new period even after telling me i had cancelled then sent new bill strange its for 3.91 admin charge 9.75 for sky hd and 9.75 for sky plus yet no other channels so paying for sky plus n hd yet no package how does that work lol...they havent a clue what they are doing ???

mikerk

Standard Member
For 2 months you’ll be able to try great entertainment from Sky TV; including Sky Sports HD1 and Sky Movies HD1, and you won’t need to miss a moment with features like being able to record, pause or rewind TV or even record an entire series at the touch of a button as part of your trial. Professional standard installation is also included, and the Sky+HD box, minidish and remote are yours to keep forever. After 2 months, you will continue to receive Sky TV 4 pack, Sky Movies 1, Sky Sports 1 (£37) and HD pack (£10) for £47 / month. Let us know before your 2 month trial is up if you no long wish to receive Sky TV. You will still be able to watch over 200 free digital channels including BBC HD and Channel4 HD which are available without subscription. You will need a Sky+ subscription to continue enjoying Sky+ recording features. Sky+ features free if you continue to receive Sky TV. Sky+HD needs to be connected to an active telephone for 12 months. Compatible TV and home cinema system required. Please note that you will receive the Sky+HD box, minidish and remote when it is installed When you order this product you will receive a pack with your unique reference code. You will need this code to organise the installation of your Sky+HD box and minidish.
p.s at no point in terms does it say you need to stay with them for 12 months on any package ????

jameslindsey

Established Member
There does seem to be a some confusion in the call centre about the Tesco deal at Sky. It took me some time and many attempts before anyone could help me with the set-up and they needed to refer to a supervisor and call me back.

As I see it, you've purchased the box, it's yours to keep. This is clearly stated on the packaging and is regardless of any television package.

As stated to me over the phone your service contract and guarantee is with Tescos not Sky, unless you accept the Pace box swap deal, then Sky take this over.

Concerning a minimum contract and cancellation period for the TV, you will be subject to what you've signed up for with Sky subsequently, probably whilst arranging for installation or viewing card delivery.

In my case I self installed to a pre existing dish left by the previous house owner. I have not signed anything and I have not agreed to be bound by any minimum contract terms over the phone. Should I decide to cancel (I am content at the moment) Sky would need to argue otherwise. Sky are subject to the same credit card/direct debit card agreement rules as anyone else.

As long as fair notice is given and you are within the terms of your contract for cancelling, there should be no penalty for cancelling payment.

I would suggest calling to cancel and then follow this up with a letter sent by recorded mail to confirm the notice.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom