Tesco or Sainsburys?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bill Hicks, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    Just drove to my local branch of Tesco's at Lee Valley to grab a hot meal at their in store cafe. I arrived at 4:30pm to find no hot meals available, only cold sandwiches and salads. When I enquired to a staff member why there was no hot food available at this time I was told that they should be serving hot meals until at least 7:30pm as the cafe shuts at 8pm. I was then asked if I would like to purchase something from their hot food counter at their deli section. I went there and they had no hot food at all as their heated display cabinet had apparently broken down on Monday. I spoke to another Tesco rep who said that they could heat up one of their fresh pizzas if I liked? I said yes, I was hungry. We both approached the baking counter and was told by the member of staff there that they had no cardboard boxes to put the pizza in. I said don't worry, forget it. I had previously picked up 2 bluray films (Capt Phillips & About Time) both priced at £15 each. I had already decided to go to a Sainsbury store about a 7 minute drive away in Chingford. So I ditched the films and drove there. I went to the Sainsbury cafe and ate ham, egg and chips that was served with a smile and brought to my table once cooked (unlike at my local Tesco) and the whole meal including coffee only cost me about a pound more than it would have cost in Tesco.
    To top it all off I bought my 2 bluray films and saved £2 as one of the films (Capt Phillips) was only £12:99 not the £15 it would have cost me in Tesco.
    Tesco's may be slightly cheaper for their food but their service is useless. They seem to find it acceptable to have poor customer service as they have a (decreasing) lead in the market.
    Tesco nil, Sainsbury 8

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    And don't get me started on their insane, free for all, park where ever you like car parking non policy
    [​IMG]

3. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    Its not very often I go into supermarkets (let the Mrs do that) but last week I went into Waitrose for the first time and was very impressed, nice wide aisles, clean, quiet, good choice of products that I can't remember seeing in other shops and great CS. Yes your paying more (a lot more in some cases) but I would definitely prefer to spend a few quid extra there than Asda, Tesco and the like.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,742
    What's your sample size Bill? Parking is much better organised in both our 2 nearest Tesco's compared with our 2 nearest Sainsbury's and the shopping experience seems about the same.

5. MisterRigsby

MisterRigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Our Tescos isn't much better.

Had to laugh in Morrisons a few weeks ago though. We went for a fry up in their cafe, mid afternoon-ish. We ordered our grub when the lady serving said they'd run out of mushrooms. Just by the entrance to the cafe is the veg section, there were thousands of the things on the shelf...

6. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +696
    The problem with Tescos is they find themselves stuck in the middle. They offer a customer experience no better than Aldi or Lidl but without the cheap prices. They offer pricing between Sainsburys and Waitrose without the quality of product and service. Basically they only thing they have that no one else has is Clubcard, but in this modern era of demand for instant gratification, that simply isn't enough hence the fall in sales.

7. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,367
    Our tesco is piss poor on staff attitudes, prices and general appearance.
    We only visit it to stock up on stuff going dirt cheap because they lost a lot of trade when another, much better supermarket opened up down the road.
    Makes me chuckle TBH because they took the piss out of the local pop for years and now they are losing money really badly due to what they thought would be loyal customers coming back that have not.

8. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    I must say that the 2 members of staff I spoke to today at the Tesco store were very polite but these days it takes more imo than just being called sir. I find most Tesco's to be a struggle from entering their car parks to getting to the till. They are a very poor second to Sainsburys.

9. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315
    Surely anyone only goes to the one that is most convenient taking all things into account. Personally couldn't care less which one it is, so long as it ticks the most boxes.

10. Justlewis

Justlewis
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    marks and sparks all the way for me. the Tesco in hackney is a WARZONE all day long q for 40 minutes daily its just not worth it :)

11. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,742
    I am equidistant (give or take) from a Sainsbury's, a Tesco, a Waitrose, a Lidl, an Aldi, and a large Budgens. I shop at all of them depending on what is on the shopping list and how they rate on a pain/gain meter for the things I want to buy.

If I am mostly shopping for things I know waitrose price match with the others it's a no brainer. Especially as they do home delivery for free for an order over £50. The diamond in the rough is the Budgens store, the staff there are friendly and know who I am.

12. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,315

Are they members on here then :rotfl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. SBT

SBT
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,831
    Always Tesco for me :smashin:

14. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I find Tesco staff lovely, very friendly, but much prefer shopping in Sainsburies.

Store just seems nicer all round and the quality if food better.

Only one thing I find sh*t a Saunsburies is they never seem to have enough tills open.

15. THE_FORCE

THE_FORCE
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,454
    Likekwise. The quality of their fruit (and food in general) is streets ahead of the Supermarket chains.

I like some of the products Tesco produce, but our local Sainsburys offers the more pleasant shopping experience - less hectic, fewer peasant mothers swearing at Jayden/Chantelle etc.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. oska

oska

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Tesco has a certain pikey element especially in Guildford. I've seen shoplifting and lots of fights in our local, mainly girls. However, it is the closest and they generally have the stuff we regularly buy whereas Sainsburys often doesn't. I do wish for a Morrisons though.

17. Pisto_Grih

Pisto_Grih
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,308
    Sainsbury's Cobham has the best of both clientele; the local Range Rover set and the kind of people who go shopping in their pyjamas.

18. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,722

Thats where we do our Xmas shop. Other than that its Sainsburys Chertsey, but its a little small

Tescos Addlestone is full of people in their pajamas. I dont think they bother to get dressed after sleeping with members of their immediate family

19. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    I have access to 3 large Sainsburys in my area. Green Lanes Haringey, smaller of the 3 but well stocked, great parking (they actually have parking attendants issuing fines for non customers, parking on red lines/disabled bays etc) and staff that must either get paid fortunes or they have great staff training as they are always happy, smiley etc.
    The Chingford branch and a brand new mega branch by the Spurs ground in Tottenham. This one is huge, biggest supermarket I've been to with aisles around 15-20ft wide and mostly not too busy.
    I have 2 large Tesco's locally as well. Lee Valley & Friern Barnet. The Barnet branch is the most orderly of the 2 but their parking is a mare as is the Lee Valley branch. They have red zones/disabled bays & mothers with children bays right outside the store in their car park, but no one ever abides by them with double parking on the red lines so the drivers can save the 30 seconds it would take them to walk from the furthest end of the car park into the store. I've seen fights breaking out between drivers due to parking in disabled/mothers only bays. This store opened around 1991 and it's been like that ever since. I asked the duty manager a year or so back why don't they enforce their car parking. He just shrugged his shoulders saying "We never do...Sorry" It seems their policy is as long as the punters keep coming through the doors spending money, who cares about the chaos happening in their car park.
    Bearing in mind this store is right next door to the Ikea that opened around 9 years ago where fights were breaking out in store on opening night!

Battle of Ikea: 20 hurt as frenzied mob fights over £49 sofas on opening night - Telegraph

Don't you mean Onesies? :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  20. wongataa

wongataa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Sainsbury's for me. I find it has a better stock range than Tesco.

21. SteakAndCake

SteakAndCake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,024
    I really hate Tesco.

A few months back they started selling this new Tear and Share Cinnamon Bun thing from their bakery. Put this thing in a microwave for 45 seconds and it is literately cake crack. It's as good as Cinnabon.

But, here's the kicker. They only ever seem to make 2 a day and I'm lucky to get one every two weeks. Imagine giving an addict a big bag of cheap crack then telling them they can't have any more for weeks. Well that. Tesco did that to me.

22. KhalJimbo

KhalJimbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    Our local budgens store is pretty good too, quite big, nice big ailes, lots of local produce.

We are not huge supermarket snobs so generally go to whichever is the closest, which right now happens to be a Tesco, having said that, nowadays we very rarely buy meats and veg from a supermarket as the quality and price are horrendous. That is now almost 95% of the time bought from our local butchers and green grocers.

23. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    I agree, supermarket meat is terrible. The chicken is overpriced, full of water and good knows what else.
    I have a popular Greek butchers near me called Meatland (don't laugh) that is cheaper than any supermarket and the quality is 10xbetter. A chicken thigh bought there is at least a third larger and a little cheaper and it is actually a solid piece of meat that tastes like chicken compared to it's watery, flaccid, tasteless supermarket equivalent

24. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,500
    @Bill Hicks , why didn't you just go to Sainsburys in the first instance rather than Tesco? (Which you have already told us on a number of occasions, you hate)

25. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,353
    I'm not a fan of tescos... they're expensive and the quality (namely fresh bread) is poor...

the only time I tend to use them is when I'm able to scam them out of 60 quids worth of food for 17 quid... :)

26. SBT

SBT
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,831
    Wow didn't realise people had such issues with supermarkets.
    I picked Tesco as that's the nearest to me and we don't have a Sainsburys nearby :laugh:
    90% of my shopping is done online anyway, so couldn't really careless what it's like in store.

27. Lancia34

Lancia34
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,266
    Tend to go to the one that's nearest - when I lived in Brooklands it was the Tescos there (bonus there is a massive M&S there as well) and now I live opposite a massive Sainsburys so nothing can compete with a 60 second walk across the road.

However, out of the big names I'd always choose Sainsburys. Have always found them nicer, cleaner and better to shop in and they own products especially they "Taste the DIfference" range is superior to the others.
    M&S wins for quality overall though, just not for choice.

28. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,353
    think I may have mentioned this before - but a few years back I used to drive through a rough part of newcastle (cowgate) to go home - and I'd nip into the morrisons there...

one day I was wearing a white shirt and black trousers when some chav (in her late 30s I guess) rammed me with her trolley as I was browsing the veg section... she sarcastically said sorry, but she must have thought I was a copper, or at least someone who worked... :laugh:

29. michaelkenward

michaelkenward
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    But not always. If you look closely, rather than leaving the wife to do it, you will see that many prices are flagged as matching those at the other supermarkets.

Don't forget, many of those "50% off" and twofer deals they offer at Tesco et al. are fake. Waitrose rarely gets fingered for that practice.

Nor did they find any horsemeat in any Waitrose products.

30. heathen666

heathen666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,543
    Agreed with the deals, before Christmas Tescos had Lurpak for £2.75 each or 2 for £5. When the deal stopped it went up to £3.25, a week later they were claiming a great deal of 75p off and put price back down to £2.50!!