Tesco ban parents from buying alcohol...

stuart1976

Prominent Member
Reaction score
...if they have their children with them.

Parents shopping with their own children are being refused alcohol by over-zealous supermarket staff - for fear they are supplying drink to minors.

Workers have been told not to serve adults accompanied by children in the latest crack-down on underage drinking.

However diligent shop staff are applying the letter of the law and refusing to serve parents who are on weekly shopping trips with their children.

Tesco today said they trained their store workers to ask for proof of age for anyone present at the purchase who they suspect may consume the alcohol.

But they admitted: "Quite often they may be mistaken and the adult may be buying it for themselves.

"But we would rather the staff err on the side of caution than risk selling to someone who is buying alcohol for people who are under age."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=566340&in_page_id=1770

Another blow for common sense it would seem. Cue loads of kids being left outside Tesco while Mum & Dad do the weekly shop. :suicide:

dailymail....

Hmm, probably happened once and it was probably perfectly reasonable to assume the 'child' would be consuming the alcohol.

The daily mail is a blow for common sense.

Exploiting stupid people's kneejerk response to almost anything.
And don't we know it Games.

This is the same Daily talkrubbish that claimed that Mullahs were going to be 'regular' teachers in schools, and that teachers 'wanted a ban on mentioning the British army' in the classroom. :rolleyes: Both of which, as usual, were issues dragged so far out of context, that they might just as well have been making it up...........

Hate to say it but its true, me and the girlfriend both in our 20's. went to tescos in oldham for a few bits, girlfriend decided she wanted some beers so off we trot, when the sales assistant asked if we had i.d.
me - Sure i say, just pulling out my drivers license.
sales ass - Oh you both need i.d.
me - Well what if i buy it then ?
sales ass - no sorry you could just be buying it for her and i dont know if she over 18.
me - hmmmmm well what if i send her outside to the car.
sales ass - no sorry same thing applys !
me - well what if i take her home then come back by myself
sales ass - sorry how do i know you have just gone round the corner even if you ask the manager he will tell you the same thing its store policy now.
me - so the only way you will serve me beer tonight now is if we both go home grab our id and then drive back just to buy a 6 pack of beer ?
sales ass - yes!
:suicide:

Hate to say it but its true, me and the girlfriend both in our 20's. went to tescos in oldham for a few bits, girlfriend decided she wanted some beers so off we trot, when the sales assistant asked if we had i.d.
sales ass - no sorry you could just be buying it for her and i dont know if she over 18.
sales ass - sorry how do i know you have just gone round the corner even if you ask the manager he will tell you the same thing its store policy now.
me - so the only way you will serve me beer tonight now is if we both go home grab our id and then drive back just to buy a 6 pack of beer ?
sales ass - yes!

LMAO

I remember getting pulled when I was 17 for being underage... but never once got asked when I was past 18.

That was few years ago mind ;). I guess age does have its advantages I suppose :rotfl:

I can see the point of the idea, in general terms, as a lot of kids get adults to buy booze for them. But not many kids are stoopid enough to go into the shop with the person buying the alcohol.

LMAO

I remember getting pulled when I was 17 for being underage... but never once got asked when I was past 18.

That was few years ago mind ;). I guess age does have its advantages I suppose :rotfl:

I can see the point of the idea, in general terms, as a lot of kids get adults to buy booze for them. But not many kids are stoopid enough to go into the shop with the person buying the alcohol.
It's finding that happy medium again.

Sadly, the Daily rant flagging it up as 'PC gone made' is hardly likely to help.

All that will happen is that stores will abandon the policy full stop. How, Daily Wail, does that help? :rolleyes:

when I was younger we used to wait outside round the corner of the shop, while an 'adult' went to get the beers.

I've been in supermarkets before where its clear the alcohol is for the kid(teen) with the Mum. Was standing behind one pair where the young girl was packing a load of bottles of alcopops and talking to her mum about how they might not have enough for all her friends.

sales ass - yes!

I had the same thing happen to me and I don't think there's anything wrong with it Tesco has done the right thing because they can get in trouble if they severed you.

Same thing with me and my girlfriend when shopping in tesco. Both need ID or no drink. Also I have been shopping with my nethew and they wouldn't serve me either. Took the absolute p**s! He is 5 years old. Hardly buying a bottle of Gin to supply to him ...:lease:

Really or is this just a few cases (which might be merited or might just be over-zealous) being turned into urban myth.

I have certainly not had any trouble and have never witnessed anyone experiencing problems either.

Cheers,

Nigel

What if you have a new born child (still in car seat) in your trolley .... will they serve you then?

This is ridiculous but probably exaggerated by the Daily Mail.

Wait until they stop you having alcohol delivered by the online shopping service as they noticed as child's bike outside your house ....

a lot of kids get adults to buy booze for them. But not many kids are stoopid enough to go into the shop with the person buying the alcohol.

I watched American Graffitti again last week and there is a wonderful scene in it where Toad gets someone to go in the off licence to buy him some beer and the chap comes running out having just robbed the shop but bringing Toad his beer anyway.

Wait until they stop you having alcohol delivered by the online shopping service as they noticed as child's bike outside your house ....

They probably won't deliver to anything other than studios or one bedroom properties otherwise there might be a risk of a child lurking there ready to pounce on the booze

What if you have a new born child (still in car seat) in your trolley .... will they serve you then?

This is ridiculous but probably exaggerated by the Daily Mail.

Abbey, The Mail exaggerate? Heaven forfend! :cool::D

Last summer i took 4 friends into my local co op we all bought alcohol the last girl 28 years old was asked for Id.
She was buying bacardi for her and her husband to drink she was the only one of us without id they wouldnt serve her or let any of us buy it even her husband who would be drinking half of it.
They would not budge! I kicked off and the manager was bought out and admitted that she looked over age but as the cashier had asked for id they could do nothing. The cashier was just a kid herself by now a queue was forming but I didnt care I made them refund all the alcohol we had purchased for the weekend nearly hundred pounds worth and strolled out the shop and across the street to another shop.

I think the law is ridiculous and a certain amount of comon sense should be employed why punish retailers for selling alcohol to children. Its the children who should be dealt with there the problem they are the ones who get drunk and commit random vandalism etc.

I think it should be illegal for parents to buy alcohol at any time, under any circumstances, until their children turn 18 and leave the nest.

What sort of parent takes their kids with them when they go to buy drugs? :devil:

I think it should be illegal for parents to buy alcohol at any time, under any circumstances, until their children turn 18 and leave the nest.

What sort of parent takes their kids with them when they go to buy drugs? :devil:

That's not a bad point actually. Why should/do parents make a big fuss over their kids using weed/ecstasy and then themselves use another mind-altering drug [booze] every other day of the week?

That's not a bad point actually. Why should/do parents make a big fuss over their kids using weed/ecstasy and then themselves use another mind-altering drug [booze] every other day of the week?

Simple - Because one is socially acceptable and legal and the others aren't
A very full discussion of alcohol vs cannabis can be found in the 'class B' thread so I don't think we need to start that one again lol.

I think the law is ridiculous and a certain amount of comon sense should be employed why punish retailers for selling alcohol to children. Its the children who should be dealt with there the problem they are the ones who get drunk and commit random vandalism etc.

I think the law is perfectly correct.
I agree that a certain amount of common sense should be employed by the retailers though.
The kids should be dealt with as well but I doubt it would have stopped me getting drunk at 14, and I doubt it will stop anyone else. The law isnt given another thought when there's a party on when you're 14 !

isn't the law simply that you have to provide ID if you don't look over 21? anything other than that is store policy. it sounds like there is nothing wrong with the policy, but a few individuals need further training and guidance in the implementation of the procedure

the stores run the risk of losing a very profitable license if they are found to have provided alcohol to minors so taking these steps to prevent that seem common sense. it just appears there are a few employees that don't implement it as intended, rather than the policy being at fault, and that's usually the problem with many things

if you are lucky to be asked for ID because you don't look over 21, just remember that 10 or 20 years later when you get mistaken for a pensioner

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom