Tesco ban parents from buying alcohol...

This will probably be the same branch (or type of store) that was happily flogging crates of beer to already boozed up scots in city centre manchester yesterday.... and then blamed the council for lack of organisation...

Its not just Tesco that are tightening up. I was in Wakefield Asda with the gf last week making the most of their '3 bottles of Plonk for a tenner' offer when i was asked for ID by the cashier.

Im 27 and havent looked under 18 for a very long time so was a bit shocked when she asked me for proof of age. I asked her if she was serious and her response was that it is now policy to seek proof of age from anyone who looks under 25. Anyhoo in order to not hold up the preceedings any further I showed her my drivers license and we were just about to go on our merry way when the cashier then offered me this pearl of wisdom - "i knew you were obviously over 21 but was just uncertain as to if you looked 25 and its policy blah blah blah".

So basically she was saying that in her opinion i was definately over 21 but was unsure if i was 25 or not. In which case since the legal age for buying alcohol is 18, why bother asking for ID?

The world has gone mad!

LIke i said, it 'looks good to be doing something', yet at the same time, thye will happily sell fifty cans of cheap lager to a staggeringly drunk and rowdy group of blokes.... THAT'S what's mad...

bit silly really imo?

my local Tesco has the chav kids hanging about on the street and they just get adults to buy for them

this policy seems to affect only the genuine buyers?

maybe Tesco are trying to make a statement that they are addressing the problem - purely for public consumption (sic)

yet just down the road is a Pakistani 'off licence/grocer' - at 8am you will see 12 yrs olds coming out with a bottle of rot gut vodka!

thats the sort of establishment that should be tackled:mad:

Several years ago i was aked for ID in a co-op to buy cigarettes - personally i dont know many 16 year olds who are in their mid twenties 6' 2" 18 stones and sporting a full grizzly adams beard :confused:

I may have a strange view of the world, but it strikes me as somewhat hypocritical that Tescos won't sell booze to people with kids, because the kids may drink it - but they will sell booze to people who drive to their stores. What is to stop those people drinking the alcohol before they drive home, thus being over the limit and breaking the law? Which is more unacceptable, kids having a few beers or drink driving?
I was boozing regularly from about 15 years old, but have never been drunk in charge of a car, so you can guess where I stand on that point.

Simple - Because one is socially acceptable and legal and the others aren't
A very full discussion of alcohol vs cannabis can be found in the 'class B' thread so I don't think we need to start that one again lol.

So it is culture than shapes policy on drugs, rather than evidence and science?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom