Terry Gilliam's Brazil - July 12th

Is there any confirmation that the UK Blu-Ray is the longer 142min Director's Cut, as opposed to the shorter 132min US Blu-Ray?

The DVD Beaver review says the US version is the 132min version, but the Digital Fix says the new UK version is the 143min version.

Fingers crossed we are getting the longer Director's Cut! :thumbsup:

Psycho666 :devil:

My copy also is on its way from Amazon...

Amazon.co.uk items (Sold by Amazon's Jersey Merchant, Indigostarfish.com):

1 Brazil [Blu-ray] £11.19 1 £11.19

Dispatched via Royal Mail (estimated arrival date: December 05, 2011).

HummerUK

My copy from Amazon has arrived...

The box says
Runtime 136min
English Dolby Digital 2.0
Subtitles English
Region ABC
Aspect 1.85:1
BD50 Disc

Features
What is Brazil?
Trailer

HummerUK

The question is, have Fox done their usual mess up and put the PAL DVD running time on the cover?

Just watching it now...
Sound is indeed only DD 2.0
Runtime according to my BD Player is 2hrs23min20sec which is 143mins 20 seconds

EDIT: Picture quality is pretty good IMHO but in places a bit grainy.

HummerUK

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's the longer version, but instead only lossy audio. Great. Sounds like I'll have to wait for the inevitable Criterion release after all.

Just watching it now...

HummerUK

Nothing wrong with a bit of grain (I've not try to start a debate here :D), would rather have a bit than completely clean up

So it's the longer version, but instead only lossy audio. Great. Sounds like I'll have to wait for the inevitable Criterion release after all.

Damn them for giving us exactly the same sound as was heard in the cinema at the time. How dare they!

They've raped Gillian's masterpiece by not changing it. Actually, raped is not the word, it's cultural vandalism to leave things exactly as they were.

Why have the idiots not cropped this to 'scope for high-end CIH set ups, converted it to 3-D, and mixed a new 7.1 dts-HD soundtrack. I'd happily have just the 94 minute 'Love Conquers All' version if it was that good!

Steve W

Just watching it now...

HummerUK

Hmm doesn't sound like an amazing transfer to bluray, especially as the American version has a lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track. I may pass on this.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Brazil-Blu-ray/22281/#Review

Hmm doesn't sound like an amazing transfer to bluray, especially as the American version has a lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track. I may pass on this.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Brazil-Blu-ray/22281/#Review

Really? They gave it 4/5 and it sounded good considering its age.

Id like to see a comparison of the Universal UK and US discs but the US one seems to edge it with the lossless DTS-HD.

I bet the Criterion one will be locked so thats a no go for me - not too bothered though. I dont want to see the 'Love Conquers All' version!

Damn them for giving us exactly the same sound as was heard in the cinema at the time. How dare they!

They've raped Gillian's masterpiece by not changing it. Actually, raped is not the word, it's cultural vandalism to leave things exactly as they were.

Why have the idiots not cropped this to 'scope for high-end CIH set ups, converted it to 3-D, and mixed a new 7.1 dts-HD soundtrack. I'd happily have just the 94 minute 'Love Conquers All' version if it was that good!

Steve W

It might have been nice to be able to select the alternate version of the soundtrack.

HummerUK

Did anybody catch the feature on Brazil during Film 2011 last night?

It might have been nice to be able to select the alternate version of the soundtrack.

HummerUK

HummerUK, of course you're right.

There are all sorts of things they could have done to improve the sound without damaging the director's intent. If they have the original masters they could have released a dts-HD/LPCM/DolbyTrueHD 2.0 track, which would have contained exactly the same information, only in better quality.

I think my point is, if the Blu-ray looks like the film did in the cinema (in as near as it can), and it sounds exactly the same as it did in the cinema, then no one should really be not buying on that basis.

I think we see lossy soundtracks and our minds fool is into thinking we'll be listening to something that sounds like a well-word cassette that's been mangled and re-spooled several times. Lossless audio can be very good indeed.

Steve W

I want the lossless audio anyway. No giving people a choice is poor form. You want a complete upgrade from DVD not basically the same thing. Well I do anyway before I part with my hard earned.

I want the lossless audio anyway. No giving people a choice is poor form. You want a complete upgrade from DVD not basically the same thing. Well I do anyway before I part with my hard earned.

Each to their own.

But this isn't 'basically the same' as the DVD, is it.

The sound is basically the same as both the DVD and the theatrical experience. The picture is something else.

The good news is it looks like we might be getting all of the major cuts. The US release has the US theatrical version, this has the European Theatrical version, and the Criterion release will doubtless have the final version and the LCA version.

Steve W

Each to their own.

The sound is basically the same as both the DVD and the theatrical experience. The picture is something else.

The good news is it looks like we might be getting all of the major cuts. The US release has the US theatrical version, this has the European Theatrical version, and the Criterion release will doubtless have the final version and the LCA version.

Steve W

Each to their own is right. If theatrical experience is anything to go by then its being kicked in the back for 2 hours, with people texting in front of you throughout. But I digress.
I ain't buying this in the near future because there is no lossless track. Stereo tracks can be enhanced, and as the US version has the enhanced track and the UK version doesn't, then the primary motivator for me to buy is the enhanced image quality. I'll wait for a better version, or perhaps buy this version when it drops into the bargain bin.

Each to their own.

Steve W

This gets more complicated by the minute!

So what are the running times for the existing US theatrical cut and UK theatrical cut blu-rays?

Surely someone will be comparing these soonish?

TG's original cut, the one originally released in Europe, and the one on this UK release, is 142/143 minutes.

The septics were only going to release a re-cut and re-edited version known as the Love Conquers All version, which runs 94 minutes, and which has only ever been available as part of the Criterion SD DVD boxed-set. Not yet on Blu-ray Disc.

When TG's campaign worked he was told his cut would be released, but that 142 minutes was just a little too long, so he went back and edited it down to 132 minutes. This is what Americans saw in their cinemas, and what you get with the US Blu-ray Disc.

The SD Criterion set had as its main feature TG's 'Final Cut' lasting the same 142 minutes, and with just one or two extra/changed/alernate shots and lines.

Steve W

TG's original cut, the one originally released in Europe, and the one on this UK release, is 142/143 minutes.

The septics were only going to release a re-cut and re-edited version known as the Love Conquers All version, which runs 94 minutes, and which has only ever been available as part of the Criterion SD DVD boxed-set. Not yet on Blu-ray Disc.

When TG's campaign worked he was told his cut would be released, but that 142 minutes was just a little too long, so he went back and edited it down to 132 minutes. This is what Americans saw in their cinemas, and what you get with the US Blu-ray Disc.

The SD Criterion set had as its main feature TG's 'Final Cut' lasting the same 142 minutes, and with just one or two extra/changed/alernate shots and lines.

Steve W

Thanks for that :). I knew about the Love Conquers All monstrosity which I have never seen and have no desire to either. Didnt realise the US theatrical cut was 10 mins shorter than the UK one though. So its UK all the way for me now.

So the UK DVD was the 132 minute one? Ive just checked my one and it says 136 minutes - allowing for the PAL speedup that would be about right.

No, the UK always had the longer cut.

Happy with my Criterion DVD box set
Picked up by a mate on a trip to New York in 2001.
I think it cost me close to $100 at the time.
But worth every penny.

quick bump for this one as the Criterion Blu has finally been announced for december - hooray
on reading some other forums, I see there is a digibook already in france of the european/UK long cut?
Does anyone else have this? Is it worth a purchase ALONG WITH the Criterion Blu?
I will be getting the Crit, but wanted to know as a huge fan if the French Digi is worth a purchase too
Is the book all in french I assume?
Ta :)

quick bump for this one as the Criterion Blu has finally been announced for december - hooray
on reading some other forums, I see there is a digibook already in france of the european/UK long cut?
Does anyone else have this? Is it worth a purchase ALONG WITH the Criterion Blu?
I will be getting the Crit, but wanted to know as a huge fan if the French Digi is worth a purchase too
Is the book all in french I assume?
Ta :)

I have the french digibook, and to my shame have yet to watch it through, have had a quick peek and it is rather nice. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom