Terrible texture rendering (mostly warzone) and possible defect GPU. PLEASE HELP

VinceGoat

Standard Member
Hey guys

A few weeks ago I noticed that my screen was flickering while playing games and I was getting black shadows and bad texture rendering in COD warzone. It got worse and worse and got to a point where it's not even fun to play anymore.

If you click on my youtube link you can see how severe the problem is. The graphics get worse and worse. I have already tried switching monitors, swapping the HDMI cable and setting the 4K transfer rate to -1. I have also put the PS5 in performance mode and changed the RGB range. Nothing seems to be working. If anyone has any idea what is happening or what this problem is, feel free to let me know. At this point I'm desperate because I don't even know what's wrong. I think it might be a defect GPU but hopefully you guys can help me out :)

YouTubelink:
Greetings

Vince

MarkPJ

The difference between Cold War Black Ops and Warzone is like night and day for me.

Warzone looks terrible. Poor detailing, clunky controls. I thinks it's the game, not the PS5.

Hedstrom

Your issue looks like a less severe version of what is happening in the Astro video in the link.

Some people are suggesting this is caused in some PS5s by the last minute decision by Sony to overclock the APU in the PS5 when they saw the teraflops advantage the Series X had over it. Some suggest that increase in clock speed is causing some PS5s to struggle. I'm no techie so that's just what I read.

Ultrasonic

The difference between Cold War Black Ops and Warzone is like night and day for me.

Warzone looks terrible. Poor detailing, clunky controls. I thinks it's the game, not the PS5.

Did you watch the video? Surely it shows a clear fault not simply a game quality issue?

My non-expert thought is that this looks like a PS5 hardware fault of some kind and I would personally be contacting Sony about it. Which the OP may well have done by now...

Last edited:

VinceGoat

Standard Member
Thank you for the answers guys! As from what I found online I consider it to be a hardware issue indeed. I contacted Sony and will send my system to them tomorrow and receive a new/fixed one. Will be playing PS4 until I get it back.

VinceGoat

Standard Member
UPDATE: Received my PS5 back after 12 full days and they did NOTHING about it. Very disappointed in Sony. Called them again and they told me they couldn't constate an error so they didn't even bother opening it up. Can't believe what's happening right now and I genuinely have no idea what to do. Sending it to them again feels like a loss and there is no guarantee in getting a fixed one. I feel desperate right now

Ultrasonic

UPDATE: Received my PS5 back after 12 full days and they did NOTHING about it. Very disappointed in Sony. Called them again and they told me they couldn't constate an error so they didn't even bother opening it up. Can't believe what's happening right now and I genuinely have no idea what to do. Sending it to them again feels like a loss and there is no guarantee in getting a fixed one. I feel desperate right now

Have you tried it to check you still get your issue?

VinceGoat

Standard Member
Have you tried it to check you still get your issue?
Still have the same issue. Games flickering all the time and the same issues in the video I have above. Called them and they said they couldn't find an error so they just sent it back i stead of replacing the harddrive. Pathetic. Never been this angry

Ultrasonic

Still have the same issue. Games flickering all the time and the same issues in the video I have above. Called them and they said they couldn't find an error so they just sent it back i stead of replacing the harddrive. Pathetic. Never been this angry

I don't think you meant hard drive there? That's seriously frustrating though.

You may have said above but have you tried a different screen? And possibly HDMI cable if Sony may have used a different one?

NyarlaThoTep

Looking at your video, I'd say that's definitely a gpu / graphics error if it's happening on multiple games.

PC video cards do exactly the same thing if they're overclocked too far or run too hot. Usually just past the point you've shown in the video they crash completely.

I'd hazard a guess the graphics chip is likely fine though - just a cooling issue. Perhaps the thermal paste has been applied incorrectly, or the heatpipes aren't functioning quite right.

Is it in an enclosed space, and/or do you have plenty of space around the ps5 for it to breathe?

VinceGoat

Standard Member
Looking at your video, I'd say that's definitely a gpu / graphics error if it's happening on multiple games.

PC video cards do exactly the same thing if they're overclocked too far or run too hot. Usually just past the point you've shown in the video they crash completely.

I'd hazard a guess the graphics chip is likely fine though - just a cooling issue. Perhaps the thermal paste has been applied incorrectly, or the heatpipes aren't functioning quite right.

Is it in an enclosed space, and/or do you have plenty of space around the ps5 for it to breathe?
It's not in an enclosed space but I smoke out of my window and I think it affects it quite a lot. Put it in differents room but still get the problem so I sent it back. Just bought a cooling system for the PS5 to make sure it gets enough air and has the possibility to breath. Got it checked by an expert before sending it over and he says it's a GPU issue. Hope they replace it at Sony this time

NyarlaThoTep

It's not in an enclosed space but I smoke out of my window and I think it affects it quite a lot. Put it in differents room but still get the problem so I sent it back. Just bought a cooling system for the PS5 to make sure it gets enough air and has the possibility to breath. Got it checked by an expert before sending it over and he says it's a GPU issue. Hope they replace it at Sony this time
Hopefully Sony will sort it out for you this time then.
Think these sort of things always depends on who opens the box at Sony unfortunately!

VinceGoat

Standard Member
Received a brand new PS5 yesterday and works perfectly. Really enjoying the flawless gameplay. Thanks for helping me out!

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Received a brand new PS5 yesterday and works perfectly. Really enjoying the flawless gameplay. Thanks for helping me out!
Congratulations
It just shows how bad smoking is, not just for you but your ps5 too!

Lol

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom