1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrible sound coming from Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Davej50, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Davej50

Davej50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running the sound from my Sky+ box via an optical cable to a Marantz SR4300 receiver and have noticed last night that the sound (particularly speech) coming from the fronts and surround speakers is really bad (centre seems okay). Difficult to explain how it sounds but it's like the sound is 'wobbly' - (that's the only word I can think of to describe it).

If I run a DVD through the receiver then this sounds perfect so don't think it's the amp or the speakers.

Any ideas?

2. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is normal on sky boxes. Its something do with the way sound is transmitted disagreeing with the phase discrimination used for calculating surround sound. It should only noticeable close up to the speakers.

3. Davej50

Davej50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've got the username I wanted! Anyway, yeah it is only noticeable close up to the speakers. I had a Sky engineer round yesterday and he couldn't tell me what the problem was. Tried another sky+ box and it was still the same.

Cheers!