1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrible problems with Sky +

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by BritanniaJaf, Feb 17, 2005.

1. BritanniaJaf

BritanniaJaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Recently got sky+ installed at the start of January, 10 mins after engineer leaves, the box starts making a whining noise, (defo not the fan), engineer comes out 3 days later and tries 3 different boxes in my house before eventually getting one to work,this box had worked fine for a couple of weeks but the sound was appaling on live football matches, then low and behold tried to access my sjy+ planner and get the message saying please wait which never goes away, Rebooted the sky box and the system will not turn itself back on, just constantly stays at a red light and the fan comes on for 30 about secs and then cuts off then comes back on again.Tried everything but still same probs happened. Phoned Sky and advised me this is a known problem and would need to get another engineer out, this time he was coming out last sunday, no phone call from the engineer in the morning and when phoning Sky at lunchtime they advised the engineer phoned in sick and would need to rebook my call, was then advised this would be 2 weeks away, Unsuprisingly i was not amused to say the least and asked to speak to a supervisor who inforrmed he would get me an engineer this weekend. Anybody else had these problems and can offer any advice about this please wait option that keeps happening on my SKY+ planner

2. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can only suggest an e-mail to james.murdoch@bskyb.com explaining the problems. Got me dedicated Exec customer services response and a free months line rental.:)

TBH it probably doesn't get anywhere near Mr Murdoch but it seems to do the trick!

Wackojacko32

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    There aren't too many moving parts in the box to make a noise. If not the fan I would suspect the hard disc. Your description does sound a bit like the box is trying to boot up/access the hard drive but can't.

Mind you very unusual to get the noise on several boxes.

4. fire boy

fire boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,
    I've had sky+ for about 4 months now and now on my second box and receiver.
    The first one kept losing the tv listings guide as well as freezing an awful lot on recording playback and real time viewing.

The engineer came round and replaced both the box and dish receiver.

He also told me that the majority of box exchanges under warrenty are for a reconditioned box!

Still having problems though, have to reboot the box at least once a week for freezing and loss of the tv guide.